Grandparents taking on childcare: is this the new normal?

People's capacity to care for each other, love without conditions, and be happy for each other's existence is incredibly heartwarming to see.

And the love that grandparents have for their grandchildren, and vice versa, is something that can't be put into words.

Dr Arthur Kornhaber, a child and family psychiatrist, even claims that this is the only type of connection in which people are smitten with one another just because the other person is alive.

If they could, grandparents would give their grandchildren all the love and care in the world. But a new study shows that they often can't because of things like broken family relationships, distance, work obligations, and their own health.

tW0edOluotVaaQ_LL2uZPhkwOYfiIVWCMYY9QdrUlAav5JcMljv0U-ll7OxX4yTVUCSURkCMCbkOBBar_yL-loe_3mjnDpQ6lW2yCEJ7nY7hn8xrc7WM4TRYvZoAsTQaY-LtVpChEeiHUal1EPNtOUQ

Many grandparents are enthusiastic about helping with childcare for their grandchildren. Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto.

In the study, which was carried out by the Australian Institute of Family Studies, around 2,300 grandparents were asked about their opinions on the frequently divisive topic of family childcare.

It covered the allegation that couples are 'dumping' their children on their parents, whom the researchers assumed would rather travel and retire comfortably instead.

But as it turns out, the answers were not what they expected. They discovered that most grandparents didn't see childcare as a burden. In reality, they see it as an important way to build relationships with their grandchildren.

They did it out of love, not because they had to.

The study found that more and more older Australians are 'volunteering' to look after young children.

Although they all have different reasons for doing so, the majority of them want to help their children continue to work or study, save money on formal daycare, or simply give them a break from parenting duties.

Other motivations are:
  • wanting to spend time with grandchildren
  • helping their children in other ways (than financial) by providing support and care to the grandchildren
  • preferring that the grandchildren are not cared for by strangers
  • helping children financially by reducing their childcare costs
  • feeling like they could not say no when asked
While some grandparents found providing care to be tiring, most of them said they didn't mind and enjoyed it. Others said it even gave their lives 'more meaning'.

'There was just this overwhelming positivity coming through in the survey about the time these grandparents spend with their grandchildren,' said Jennifer Baxter, an AIFS researcher and the author of the report.

k_c1cRbhKutwV4Ht-YYnnadhdtsPgOMsZ8BRg0NTxsB2dd1mW6hlx3ZndaBZA3qHjarTh_yl53gkCOadyg4Vw5RtHw91ryDDPGl0ICoIWm8Dlm2JcLY4X1RYbGMFr8v2cVZXjWy3n2h7WtPIHhBnP4M

It's not all rainbows and butterflies when taking care of the young ones. Credit: Getty Images.

When it comes to the responsibility of looking after their beloved grandkids, grandparents are more than willing to step up to the plate. Here are what some of them have to say:

'I enjoy it very much, and they are always pleased to have me care for them. It's a wonderful time watching them grow up and learn things.'

– Grandfather, aged 66

'Although tiring, caring for our grandchildren is the most joyful and meaningful activity we have, the time we didn't have as parents, we now have to care for and enjoy our grandchildren. We are also aware this is a window of opportunity of about five years in each child's lives before they branch out into the wider world.'

– Grandmother, aged 74

It's a rewarding experience for grandparents to take care of their grandkids, but the job isn't always without its challenges. Other grandparents spoke about problems or obstacles that make it hard to care for children.

They included the grandparents' old age, health problems, work or caregiving duties, and even challenges with the need for more extensive care.

Here are what some of them have to say:

'I wish we could provide more childcare, but due to my husband's disability, we are not able to. Grandchildren have no other family supports at all.'

– Grandmother, aged 70

'I would love to see her more frequently, but when not in lockdown, I am working at every possible moment in casual jobs to pay my bills.'

– Grandmother, aged 65

zAublft83gxjItX2FQ7MMTqqAhyClRLUgdtmEeySdubHQusYsQ2pK7ptRZRaoudJDcfrQUVMuZLR6zyUOPlUhLcJfVanLkqc4IUaR0XG2x296Mxi7jOZjDNM0nNTN3SlDxZf121X4kePhaX3fehACp0

Deciding to provide regular childcare for your grandchildren is a personal decision. Credit: myLifesite.

What about you, folks? Do you love the idea of looking after your grandchildren? Or do you not want the responsibility of regular childcare duties?

Everyone has different thoughts and feelings about this, and that is totally fine!

After all, being a grandparent is just one part of your life. You’re likely trying to balance your other responsibilities as well, such as housework, volunteer work, hobbies, and maybe even a job. There are also barriers such as mobility, energy, or health problems to keep in mind.

Let us know what you think in the comments section below; we'd absolutely love to hear from you!

Sponsored
I love watching my grandchildren,
I love that most of my kids don't take advantage of me like my friends kids do to them

My daughter will go on a date night with hubby they go for dinner and at the most they are gone 3 hours.

One of my daughters need to go back to work fir a couple of days her baby is only 1. Her hubby will watch her one day and I will watch her the other with the help of my husband.

I love spending time with all my 17 of my 18 grandchildren and would love feeling that I'm helping my kids but my obstacle is my health ( operation gone wrong)but lucky my husband can help.

When you think you couldn't love a child more than your own, along comes your grandchildren

My three grandchildren come to my place on Saturdays. My dog sits in the window waiting for them as he always knows what day it is.
My daughter in law usually leaves them for about three hours, sometimes a little longer.
We tell stories, do paintings and eat lasagna.

My three grandchildren come to my place on Saturdays. My dog sits in the window waiting for them as he always knows what day it is.
My daughter in law usually leaves them for about three hours, sometimes a little longer.
We tell stories, do paintings and eat lasagna.
What a perfect Saturday

Reactions: Ashmenou
I feel is a privilege to be able to look after my gorgeous two grandsons. Love my time with them. Definitely never a burden