Grandmother fined $352 for simply honking her horn: 'Is this a joke?'

To warn someone who was driving out in front of her, one grandmother from Sydney honked her horn to let the driver know she was behind them. But she never expected that she would be the one to pay for the close call.

LzK3hzD6mPWHeUTKZanfMnJgQE6KycUWLFcjCxyjpc3FLG-UVlJmtPA84IXJz2EYCcFRyYDuCieS8PngPBibMARQuZqz9RtmR4VOyRroYdbgkYoVzPQ_E61pTSshazDmhO7H8YTmeXG-6vpMxiwbuqO3304aBC5u7WeumcmMPmHTp1SQi9pZC8FFIg

Alma Smith, a grandmother from Sydney, says she was ticketed for simply using her horn on the road. Credit: Nine.

Back in June, while Alma Smith was making her way to her job at Myer in Roselands, she was driving along Belmore Road in Riverwood when she had the terrifying encounter.

'There were cars parked, and this guy just went “flip” in front of me. I thought I was going to collide with him, so I applied the brakes and the horn,' she recalled in an interview with a news outlet.

A few minutes later, the 85-year-old grandmother was asked to pull over to the side of the road and was given a $352 fine by an officer.

Apparently, a police officer was lurking behind her vehicle, keeping track of how long her horn was blaring. Three seconds of honking is fine, but anything longer is deemed inappropriate.

'He said I had used the horn excessively, unnecessarily, and that's like road rage,' said Ms Smith, adding that what just happened left her completely speechless.

'Are you kidding? I have never heard of that, and I have been on the road driving for over 60 years,' she told the officer.

Speaking to 9News, she said she couldn't believe the situation at the time, thinking: 'Is this a joke? Haven't they got better things to do?'

TdVUxYnD34X9VFdhBw0cqbjPohqnXRjO2iy5rwvrix9JI38gjFQ2_pEZDM4tusmXlme9LCYD4IjQByccLaONq7MagYusH-sUIjw-3N4jNaPFaHvVZBtZ6a9m9hMf_NmHBJK4yFF0XcDfj3jcH7fDM3h4pd4M_NA8s_OA601wyfpqyH2YGhD_I1qFQg

Ms Smith said she was shocked when the officer handed her a $352 fine. Credit: Nine.
Warwick Smith, Ms Smith's son, called the steep punishment his mother received for simply using her horn an example of 'ridiculous' behaviour by the authorities.

'Someone pulled out on her, and she slammed on the brakes; what do you do? You hit the horn,' he added. 'In a case like that, I felt like it was necessary to blow the horn.'

Attorney Sam Macedone says that he, too, was unaware that the length of the honk could get drivers into trouble and that if what Ms Smith described did happen, she was within her rights to use her horn.

'In this case, I understand she used her horn to warn someone who was cutting across, so she had every right to use her horn. I can't see anywhere in the legislation that indicates you can only give a short beep.'

The fine is being contested by the grandma, but she will have to wait until May of next year to have her day in Bankstown court.

wWIuRzfT06uxY3F5RUSxfCcUwh4omEbfn_GtqGkrzjg8s7-SMH_UNW5q4I4xCP_Y2DiHQ4WX7AdFgGn5jJhDpMOEZhgDV7F2XX30q9c0dHTi7aGEU2UaWSxRittTzA1Pdw9HkM40tFhnrl3nEaUK46itQ9tAagPv-uWMFb5Dv3UUsqNddWbHlngQAA

In New South Wales, car horn usage is subject to rules and restrictions. Credit: Getty Images.

When is it appropriate to use your car's horn?

According to the traffic codes and regulations of each Australian state, the only acceptable reasons to sound your horn are to alert other drivers to your location or to shoo away animals from the road; greetings, expressions of anger or annoyance, and demands that others move soon as the light turns green are all prohibited.

If your car is equipped with an anti-theft device or an alcohol interlock device, the horn or similar warning device may also be used as part of that system.

So, members who still drive regularly, please remember that you shouldn't use your horns carelessly, you never know who’s watching, and you could get a fine of several hundred dollars.

We understand that money is quite difficult to come by these days, so we want to avoid having to pay anything additional like a petty fine. Stay safe out there and on the road, everyone!

Sponsored
To warn someone who was driving out in front of her, one grandmother from Sydney honked her horn to let the driver know she was behind them. But she never expected that she would be the one to pay for the close call.

LzK3hzD6mPWHeUTKZanfMnJgQE6KycUWLFcjCxyjpc3FLG-UVlJmtPA84IXJz2EYCcFRyYDuCieS8PngPBibMARQuZqz9RtmR4VOyRroYdbgkYoVzPQ_E61pTSshazDmhO7H8YTmeXG-6vpMxiwbuqO3304aBC5u7WeumcmMPmHTp1SQi9pZC8FFIg

Alma Smith, a grandmother from Sydney, says she was ticketed for simply using her horn on the road. Credit: Nine.

Back in June, while Alma Smith was making her way to her job at Myer in Roselands, she was driving along Belmore Road in Riverwood when she had the terrifying encounter.

'There were cars parked, and this guy just went “flip” in front of me. I thought I was going to collide with him, so I applied the brakes and the horn,' she recalled in an interview with a news outlet.

A few minutes later, the 85-year-old grandmother was asked to pull over to the side of the road and was given a $352 fine by an officer.

Apparently, a police officer was lurking behind her vehicle, keeping track of how long her horn was blaring. Three seconds of honking is fine, but anything longer is deemed inappropriate.

'He said I had used the horn excessively, unnecessarily, and that's like road rage,' said Ms Smith, adding that what just happened left her completely speechless.

'Are you kidding? I have never heard of that, and I have been on the road driving for over 60 years,' she told the officer.

Speaking to 9News, she said she couldn't believe the situation at the time, thinking: 'Is this a joke? Haven't they got better things to do?'

TdVUxYnD34X9VFdhBw0cqbjPohqnXRjO2iy5rwvrix9JI38gjFQ2_pEZDM4tusmXlme9LCYD4IjQByccLaONq7MagYusH-sUIjw-3N4jNaPFaHvVZBtZ6a9m9hMf_NmHBJK4yFF0XcDfj3jcH7fDM3h4pd4M_NA8s_OA601wyfpqyH2YGhD_I1qFQg

Ms Smith said she was shocked when the officer handed her a $352 fine. Credit: Nine.
Warwick Smith, Ms Smith's son, called the steep punishment his mother received for simply using her horn an example of 'ridiculous' behaviour by the authorities.

'Someone pulled out on her, and she slammed on the brakes; what do you do? You hit the horn,' he added. 'In a case like that, I felt like it was necessary to blow the horn.'

Attorney Sam Macedone says that he, too, was unaware that the length of the honk could get drivers into trouble and that if what Ms Smith described did happen, she was within her rights to use her horn.

'In this case, I understand she used her horn to warn someone who was cutting across, so she had every right to use her horn. I can't see anywhere in the legislation that indicates you can only give a short beep.'

The fine is being contested by the grandma, but she will have to wait until May of next year to have her day in Bankstown court.

wWIuRzfT06uxY3F5RUSxfCcUwh4omEbfn_GtqGkrzjg8s7-SMH_UNW5q4I4xCP_Y2DiHQ4WX7AdFgGn5jJhDpMOEZhgDV7F2XX30q9c0dHTi7aGEU2UaWSxRittTzA1Pdw9HkM40tFhnrl3nEaUK46itQ9tAagPv-uWMFb5Dv3UUsqNddWbHlngQAA

In New South Wales, car horn usage is subject to rules and restrictions. Credit: Getty Images.

According to the traffic codes and regulations of each Australian state, the only acceptable reasons to sound your horn are to alert other drivers to your location or to shoo away animals from the road; greetings, expressions of anger or annoyance, and demands that others move soon as the light turns green are all prohibited.

If your car is equipped with an anti-theft device or an alcohol interlock device, the horn or similar warning device may also be used as part of that system.

So, members who still drive regularly, please remember that you shouldn't use your horns carelessly, you never know who’s watching, and you could get a fine of several hundred dollars.

We understand that money is quite difficult to come by these days, so we want to avoid having to pay anything additional like a petty fine. Stay safe out there and on the road, everyone!

Reactions: Beverleyanne
Violence/aggression come in many forms, perhaps the Police Officer warning of her impatience by fining her has prevented "Road Rage" incidents in the future. We all complain or see driving behaviours that are breaking laws. If the police fined all these behaviours, there would be smoother travelling, less incidents, less fuel burnt in traffic snarls and more money in Government coffers to spend on infrastructure. Win win in my view.

I wonder how this police person managed to judge the length of the honk, I can only assume he was behind on the required number of tickets set by his seniors.

The article does not state how long the driver actually held the horn down so it is not possible to know whether the driver's actions were unreasonable. It only states: "...a police officer was lurking behind her vehicle, keeping track of how long her horn was blaring. Three seconds of honking is fine, but anything longer is deemed inappropriate."

Road rules may vary from state to state but in WA, our driver's handbook "Drive Safe" (which every driver must read and pass a theory test on its content) states that sounding the horn CONTINUOUSLY constitutes aggressive driving and is prohibited. All drivers should be aware of this. I remember my driving instructor warning us that unnecessary or prolonged use of the horn was a punishable offence and that was nearly 50 years ago. So there may be justification for the police officer issuing an infringement.

If you actually stop and count off three seconds, it is a very long time for a horn to be depressed.

One would assume the Police Officer would have observed if the imminent danger had passed and if she was still sounding the horn, then it's no longer a warning but a 'telling off' ie road rage. Three seconds is quite a long time to be sounding your horn.

There may be arguments about alleged revenue raising with things like this, but this is one of those times.😕

If someone suddenly decided to cut in front of me when driving along then I'll hoot them. What are you supposed to do? Just shout very loud in your car "Don't do that!" and they can't hear you. Ridiculous.🙄

Looks like I should be fined every time I leave my son's house to go home. I give a quick hoot and wave out the window when I move off. 😁

There may be arguments about alleged revenue raising with things like this, but this is one of those times.😕

If someone suddenly decided to cut in front of me when driving along then I'll hoot them. What are you supposed to do? Just shout very loud in your car "Don't do that!" and they can't hear you. Ridiculous.🙄

Looks like I should be fined every time I leave my son's house to go home. I give a quick hoot and wave out the window when I move off. 😁
I'll bet your son's neighbours love you (LOL).

Rules state tooting hello and goodbye is not nessessary and can be quite annoying if in a retirement village like I am, 2 inconsiderate people always toot in our little court of 12 units (visitors) of our court are in their 90s) the sound of horns being tooted has no benifit to anyone except to put us in an early grave. As for tooting horns when leaving homes in a residential street, try thing about babies sleeping, children trying to sleep for school the next day, try thinking about shift workers like nurses, police, firemen and many others who need rest including those still sick from covid19, there are a lot of selfish self centred people in this world who blatently ignore rules and believe they can do as they please.

Christmas coming up. Have to fatten the piggy banks before then.

So wasn't this grandma just letting the other driver know her location (legal)....ie right up his azzzz because he pulled out in front of her. and as for using it to shoo animals off the road....they don't listen either. If you hit an animal there is always someone watching and you are in trouble. We always have to watch for ducks crossing where we are and isn't that fun They should just make cars without horns.