Grandmother bursts into tears after virtual tour of childhood town

A 100-year-old woman broke down in tears after her granddaughter gave her an experience she never thought she would be able to do again.

The grandmother, who is now living abroad, got to explore her hometown of Vagharshapat in Armenia through a virtual reality headset. A wave of emotions hit her upon seeing the Etchmiadzin Cathedral she visited as a child.

SJaFjc20QarPuExiEAbYXRxip4222KyKoz64fhB-9EDeW9IjtoEVZzJNQrjJqsA6XFcUBmBSpIrxxqqpVhLGNXNkdUMOsR_eWHz1iuR3evJLRTPrTYQuxImZG9LBDInXqg4yL5Nr

The grandmother was referred to as “Nene” by her family members. Photos from TikTok / @shmellywelly.

Michelle, the woman’s granddaughter, was the one who filmed the heartfelt video, which she shared on her TikTok page.

“Showing my 100-year-old Armenian grandma the Etchmiadzin Cathedral in virtual reality,” wrote Michelle in the video, showing her grandmother, whom they call Nene.

Nene was wearing the VR headset, which displayed the cathedral’s interior, when her family members asked her to look around the place.

She began to get emotional. Someone behind the camera asked, “Why are you crying?”

“It’s so beautiful,” Nene replied, as she wiped away her tears with tissue paper.

A few days after posting, the clip gained over 3M views and over 672K likes. Comments flooded in with people saying the video touched them.

“I’m Muslim, and this touched me, may God keep her for you for many more years,” one person wrote, while another said: “OMG, my heart… This is so cute. I love her!”

Other people praised Michelle for putting the technology to good use. “This is what VR should be used for,” said one person.

“Beautiful way to use the technology! God bless,” another added.

Aww, what a heartwarming video! It’s incredible to think how technology has gone so far these days. Now, if only we could do this with a lot of other places…

Sponsored
So heartwarming! What a wonderful use of technology, what a wonderful gift to their grandmother! When you grow old, your memories of your earliest years become stronger. There is a nostalgia for past places, experiences & people which should never be discounted!

Reactions: Jill