Grandmas Casserole

The-Best-Beef-Stew-2.jpg
Braised beef with peas, carrots and potatoes in a Greek style tomato sauce flavoured with parsley. There’s so much I love about this dish. My husbands greek aunts make this exact dish but then again so did my Irish Grandma

This particular recipe is from mary kouzina

INGREDIENTS

1kg diced chuck steak pieces
Extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion - finely chopped
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 cups beef stock or chicken
700g bottle of tomato passata
4 bay leaves
1/2 cup fresh parsley- chopped.
1 tsp dry oregano
500 mls water (additional when needed)
3 carrots - thickly chopped
2-3 potatoes - cut into wedges
500g frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste

Other vegetables eg zucchini go well

Method

1.Place a pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and brown the meat in batches. Set aside.

2.Add 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil to the pot along with the onion and garlic, sautéing for approximately 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook 1 minute stir in beef stock stir for 2 minutes

3. Add the browned meat back in then pour in the passata and water. Add the dill, bay leaves, oregano and seasoning to taste. Stir to combine.
4. Turn heat down to medium, cover the pot and allow to simmer for 1.5 hours. Ensure you check on it occasionally stirring to ensure the sauce doesn’t stick at the bottom. If the sauce thickens before the meat just becomes tender, add additional water as needed.

5. Once the meat has just become tender add the carrots, potatoes and peas. You’ll need to gauge whether you need to add more water at the point for them to cook. Once cooked stir through fresh dill if you please and enjoy.

Serve by itself or on a bed of rice

Last edited:
Sponsored
Yeah - MOSHARI ME ARAKA as it is called by it's creator (Mary's Kouzina - see: maryskouzina.com.au) is a fabulous dish. The only difference between the original recipe and the one posted here is the omission of the words 'Bless her' in the SDC post.

Question - does SDC not have rules in place about proper attribution of material shared on its site? I mean, it's great to share tasty recipes and stuff, but why are we not properly crediting the people who 'own' the material and presenting it as our own creation?

Proper attribution not only protects the work of others, but it also means we can visit the real creators' sites and explore their other recipes for dishes that might get our taste buds doing a happy dance.

Jess

Yeah - MOSHARI ME ARAKA as it is called by it's creator (Mary's Kouzina - see: maryskouzina.com.au) is a fabulous dish. The only difference between the original recipe and the one posted here is the omission of the words 'Bless her' in the SDC post.

Question - does SDC not have rules in place about proper attribution of material shared on its site? I mean, it's great to share tasty recipes and stuff, but why are we not properly crediting the people who 'own' the material and presenting it as our own creation?

Proper attribution not only protects the work of others, but it also means we can visit the real creators' sites and explore their other recipes for dishes that might get our taste buds doing a happy dance.

Jess
Sorry, but what do you mean about "own" the product. My Mother (and probably millions of Mums around the world) made casseroles exactly like the one above, in the early 1940's. She was taught how to make a casserole by her Mother (Australian born but German parents who immigrated here to South Australia). I am positive they would never had heard of the name above. A casserole is a casserole - meat and vegetables. I make casseroles, but never the same - I put in what I feel like on the day. Does that mean I should look up every casserole recipe ever made and acknowledge them if I share a particularly nice flavoured one?

Sorry, but what do you mean about "own" the product. My Mother (and probably millions of Mums around the world) made casseroles exactly like the one above, in the early 1940's. She was taught how to make a casserole by her Mother (Australian born but German parents who immigrated here to South Australia). I am positive they would never had heard of the name above. A casserole is a casserole - meat and vegetables. I make casseroles, but never the same - I put in what I feel like on the day. Does that mean I should look up every casserole recipe ever made and acknowledge them if I share a particularly nice flavoured one?
What you do in a freestyle cook is yours. But when someone copies, verbatim, the recipe on another's website or cookbook, that is called piracy or plagiarism.

And yes - if you find a particularly nice recipe in someone's cookbook or on their website, you should attribute the recipe to them if you choose to share it.

Websites and cookbooks both enjoy the legal privilege of that little thing called Copyright, and when you share without attribution, work that is copyrighted to them, you are infringing their legal rights.

Jess

Jess
I really don't think there is any need for all this carry on, who actually cares.
It's a recipe, not s famous.art piece or something.
What are you aiming to achieve by these comments.
I,.for one, am grateful for the recipes Suzanne Rose puts up.
Keep your snipey remarks to yourself.

What you do in a freestyle cook is yours. But when someone copies, verbatim, the recipe on another's website or cookbook, that is called piracy or plagiarism.

And yes - if you find a particularly nice recipe in someone's cookbook or on their website, you should attribute the recipe to them if you choose to share it.

Websites and cookbooks both enjoy the legal privilege of that little thing called Copyright, and when you share without attribution, work that is copyrighted to them, you are infringing their legal rights.

Jess
Has anyone ever told you you are a pain in the neck. Perhaps you should not bother to read the recipes and then you won't have to get your knickers in a knot about something so stupid.
Having had copyright on several products, in my business, years ago, and having had quite a lot of long conversations with the lawyer who did these for me, I can tell you that a legal battle over such a recipe would be laughed out of court. Just about every recipe book you buy has very similar casseroles in it, such a case would never stand up, no matter what ridiculously fancy name you like to call it.
And your comment about all recipes being copyright is absolutely ridiculous. You obviously have no idea how much a copy right costs, if you were to copyright every recipe you would end up in the poor house, they cost thousands for each one.

Has anyone ever told you you are a pain in the neck. Perhaps you should not bother to read the recipes and then you won't have to get your knickers in a knot about something so stupid.
Having had copyright on several products, in my business, years ago, and having had quite a lot of long conversations with the lawyer who did these for me, I can tell you that a legal battle over such a recipe would be laughed out of court. Just about every recipe book you buy has very similar casseroles in it, such a case would never stand up, no matter what ridiculously fancy name you like to call it.
And your comment about all recipes being copyright is absolutely ridiculous. You obviously have no idea how much a copy right costs, if you were to copyright every recipe you would end up in the poor house, they cost thousands for each one.
Omg I had a mouthful of coffee and spat it out , through laughing . I think she is someone who was kicked out in June for constantly making the same comments and was stalking me .

I have said constantly that these are not my recipes but recipes we love and I want to share . I do change recipes abit but that's not against the law..

Thank you for sticking up for me 🥰

Jess
Do you know what Moshari me Araka means ? Also there are actually a few changes

Reactions: Littleboy8
I actually make this every fortnight but I can only afford mince meat and I throw in a pkt of thin spaghetti as well as veggies.Portion up and freeze. But there’s no need to hang shit on Suzanne 🌹that’s just plain nasty.

I really don't think there is any need for all this carry on, who actually cares.
It's a recipe, not s famous.art piece or something.
What are you aiming to achieve by these comments.
I,.for one, am grateful for the recipes Suzanne Rose puts up.
Keep your snipey remarks to yourself.
I like that haven’t heard snipey in years😁

Omg I had a mouthful of coffee and spat it out , through laughing . I think she is someone who was kicked out in June for constantly making the same comments and was stalking me .

I have said constantly that these are not my recipes but recipes we love and I want to share . I do change recipes abit but that's not against the law..

Thank you for sticking up for me 🥰
I’m always changing recipes no law against it that person is a wanker👎Hopefully they’ll get the hint and piss off😸

Reactions: Suzanne rose