Government forces 93-year-old man out of his home for the Olympics

In the lead-up to the Brisbane Olympics in 2032, the Queensland government is currently undergoing stadium redevelopment plans. But the plan could be disruptive to some people’s lives.

That certainly could be said for 93-year-old Trevor Connolly, who has been ordered to leave his beloved home of 60 years–situated in the city's inner east suburb of Coorparoo–as a result of the Queensland government's reconstruction plan.

This request has left Connolly puzzled and upset as he wishes to enjoy his final years in the property that holds decades' worth of special memories.

'The thought of moving out... I don't like the thought of moving out,' Connolly said. 'Where can you go after 60 years? You got 60 years of your life here.'

Connolly, a retired electrician who suffers from early dementia, is attached to his home, a place where his late wife Margaret, daughters, grandchildren, and now great-grandchildren have left a legacy of fond memories.

'I don't want the house knocked down, I just want to stay here [for] the remaining years... I don't want to leave my home,' he added.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 8.57.40 AM.png
93-year-old Trevor Connolly was ordered to leave his home of 60 years for the Brisbane Olympics. Credit: news.com.au

The Gabba stadium, located two kilometres from Trevor's home, is set to be rebuilt in ahead of the Olympics. This will affect the 124-year-old East Brisbane State School, as it will be demolished and relocated to where the Coorparoo Secondary College stands.

The college, on the other hand, will take up the neighbouring land, which includes Connolly’s home. This means that Connolly’s property has been earmarked as a school drop-off zone.

The Department of Education issued Mr Connolly a notification of its decision, giving him until Christmas this year to move out.

The Connolly family is furious and appalled at what the 93-year-old could go through this at his age.

'Going into the negotiations [the focus] is that he is to be allowed to stay here for the rest of the days. I think they owe him, a 93-year-old, I think they owe him that much,' Connolly’s daughter, Anne Connolly, said.

‘Since 1962, he's been here, and he's lived in the street since he was 11, so his attachment to this house and this street is very, very strong... No 93-year-old should have to be worrying about those things at his stage in life,’ she added.

The Department of Education said that they don’t take the decision to acquire land lightly. They have also revealed that they intend to approach negotiations around Connolly’s home in a compassionate manner. Connolly’s deadline for moving out was extended to next year, but no specific date has been mentioned.

Disputes like this should not be taken lightly, as matters may turn sour and lead to court action. In the story of one Sydney resident, he was complaining that the leak in his pool was caused by his neighbour’s use of bamboo for privacy purposes. However, both of them couldn’t come up with an agreement, so the matter was brought to court. Read more about this story here.

Key Takeaways

• 93-year-old Trevor Connolly is being forced out of his home of 60 years due to the Queensland government's stadium redevelopment plans for the Brisbane Olympics in 2032.
  • The redevelopment will affect the area of Coorparoo where Mr Connolly lives. His home will be reduced to a school drop-off zone as part of plans to expand Coorparoo Secondary College.
  • Mr Connolly's family are upset and ready to fight back against the decision.
  • The Department of Education stated they do not take the decision to acquire land lightly and intend to negotiate in a compassionate way, with the deadline for Mr Connolly to leave his home being extended to next year.

Members, take note that we are not legal experts. If a similar situation happens to you, talk to an attorney as soon as possible!

What do you think of this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
In the lead-up to the Brisbane Olympics in 2032, the Queensland government is currently undergoing stadium redevelopment plans. But the plan could be disruptive to some people’s lives.

That certainly could be said for 93-year-old Trevor Connolly, who has been ordered to leave his beloved home of 60 years–situated in the city's inner east suburb of Coorparoo–as a result of the Queensland government's reconstruction plan.

This request has left Connolly puzzled and upset as he wishes to enjoy his final years in the property that holds decades' worth of special memories.

'The thought of moving out... I don't like the thought of moving out,' Connolly said. 'Where can you go after 60 years? You got 60 years of your life here.'

Connolly, a retired electrician who suffers from early dementia, is attached to his home, a place where his late wife Margaret, daughters, grandchildren, and now great-grandchildren have left a legacy of fond memories.

'I don't want the house knocked down, I just want to stay here [for] the remaining years... I don't want to leave my home,' he added.

View attachment 33201
93-year-old Trevor Connolly was ordered to leave his home of 60 years for the Brisbane Olympics. Credit: news.com.au

The Gabba stadium, located two kilometres from Trevor's home, is set to be rebuilt in ahead of the Olympics. This will affect the 124-year-old East Brisbane State School, as it will be demolished and relocated to where the Coorparoo Secondary College stands.

The college, on the other hand, will take up the neighbouring land, which includes Connolly’s home. This means that Connolly’s property has been earmarked as a school drop-off zone.

The Department of Education issued Mr Connolly a notification of its decision, giving him until Christmas this year to move out.

The Connolly family is furious and appalled at what the 93-year-old could go through this at his age.

'Going into the negotiations [the focus] is that he is to be allowed to stay here for the rest of the days. I think they owe him, a 93-year-old, I think they owe him that much,' Connolly’s daughter, Anne Connolly, said.

‘Since 1962, he's been here, and he's lived in the street since he was 11, so his attachment to this house and this street is very, very strong... No 93-year-old should have to be worrying about those things at his stage in life,’ she added.

The Department of Education said that they don’t take the decision to acquire land lightly. They have also revealed that they intend to approach negotiations around Connolly’s home in a compassionate manner. Connolly’s deadline for moving out was extended to next year, but no specific date has been mentioned.

Disputes like this should not be taken lightly, as matters may turn sour and lead to court action. In the story of one Sydney resident, he was complaining that the leak in his pool was caused by his neighbour’s use of bamboo for privacy purposes. However, both of them couldn’t come up with an agreement, so the matter was brought to court. Read more about this story here.

Key Takeaways

• 93-year-old Trevor Connolly is being forced out of his home of 60 years due to the Queensland government's stadium redevelopment plans for the Brisbane Olympics in 2032.
  • The redevelopment will affect the area of Coorparoo where Mr Connolly lives. His home will be reduced to a school drop-off zone as part of plans to expand Coorparoo Secondary College.
  • The Department of Education stated they do not take the decision to acquire land lightly and intend to negotiate in a compassionate way, with the deadline for Mr Connolly to leave his home being extended to next year.

Members, take note that we are not legal experts. If a similar situation happens to you, talk to an attorney as soon as possible!

That’s appalling🙀👎

View attachment 33201

Key Takeaways

Appalling! This is NOT progress! Just STAY Trevor! You have obediently paid your taxes, lived a life according to “The Rules”; now it’s time to say NO! STAY, with disobedient dignity, with the support of your family; settle in, relax and let the government solve THEIR problem. They are not your problem Trevor , YOU are theirs; let them find a solution beyond bullying and intimidating an Australian Elder ❤️

View attachment 33201

Key Takeaways

The poor old guy. When (what year) are they going to build the school? surely he could be left until the
school is almost finished. Are they going to provide a suitable home for him? Everyone knows how stressful moving is without any mental and emotional cost of a beloved home.
Get real you Government lackies.

View attachment 33201

Key Takeaways

If the house belongs to him leave him alone, and change your plans. Stay put Mr Connolly.

Just another reason NOT to trust the government. They don't have your best interest at heart. The reality is that you are only a source of tax income for them. The Covid HOAX was a great example as to why the government cannot be trusted. Why does the government have a 99 year suppression order on more that a dozen politicians and high court judges that have been accused of pedophilia including an ex prime minister?
By knowing this and not confronting this ALL politicians are complicit in covering up the truth which makes ALL of the tainted. This one of many reasons politicians cannot be trusted.
Don't believe me? Look up Kerry Hefernan's speech to parliament on a platform called Odysee. It's there for all to see if you bother to look!

Just another reason NOT to trust the government. They don't have your best interest at heart. The reality is that you are only a source of tax income for them. The Covid HOAX was a great example as to why the government cannot be trusted. Why does the government have a 99 year suppression order on more that a dozen politicians and high court judges that have been accused of pedophilia including an ex prime minister?
By knowing this and not confronting this ALL politicians are complicit in covering up the truth which makes ALL of the tainted. This one of many reasons politicians cannot be trusted.
Don't believe me? Look up Kerry Hefernan's speech to parliament on a platform called Odysee. It's there for all to see if you bother to look!
🤔🤔

Reactions: KaraJenna

View attachment 33201

Key Takeaways

This information is out of date. The Queensland Government has decided to let Mr Connolly stay in his house as of Friday 27 Oct 2023.

View attachment 33201

Key Takeaways

All so another sports stadium can be built. Everything in this country seems to revolve around sports. The govt claims it brings in money, only to hotels with overseas owners. Maybe a little to restaurants and odd shops but not anything like the multi million $'s it costs to build.

All so another sports stadium can be built. Everything in this country seems to revolve around sports. The govt claims it brings in money, only to hotels with overseas owners. Maybe a little to restaurants and odd shops but not anything like the multi million $'s it costs to build.
Good point👍

This information is out of date. The Queensland Government has decided to let Mr Connolly stay in his house as of Friday 27 Oct 2023.
Yesterday was the 27th and the information to us on this site was posted in this article either by a staff member of SDC working overnight/late into the night or very early this morning (28th) in order to advise us. So, yes, it is “out of date” as you mention because it has been brought to our attention in this news article this morning, BUT it also does say, and I quote: “Connolly’s deadline for moving out was extended to next year, but no specific date has been mentioned”.

So your out of date comment is also ‘out of date’ possibly by a few hours in being published for us to read.

View attachment 33201

Key Takeaways

I think this is so disgusting, all for the shear sake of making money from the Olympics, which is a real joke. Not one of the games have ever made a profit. Yet the Government want to kick a 93 yr old person out of their home. The Government thinks that they are allowed to disrupt families, spend money on silly things like referendums which cost the Australian people 1000 of dollars and what did they get out of it. FA. Why not leave this person alone and let him live out his life in his own home where he remembers his life as a family man. This world is in a lot of chaos as it is , lets be a little more caring , loving instead of anger and corruption.

Sad to see an elderly man being asked to leave his home. Does anyone know where this man’s home is located in the plan for building? If on the boundary or close to it, or if in a sports field area and close to its boundary perhaps, like another comment here, it could be left until this lovely old man is ‘no longer’ on this earth. God Bless him.

Another disgracefull act by this government, spend the 2.4 billion on housing and health there is no point in extending the stadium for a handful of seats, an utter waste of our money, if it's a problem cancel the games, we never agreed to them and don't want them nor infact does any other country

Another disgracefull act by this government, spend the 2.4 billion on housing and health there is no point in extending the stadium for a handful of seats, an utter waste of our money, if it's a problem cancel the games, we never agreed to them and don't want them nor infact does any other country
Exactly😈

I believe they want to build an access point for vehicles to drive through as a drop-off point for the "New School". They should just let the old man live his life out in the house he has lived in for many years. The government are overbearing idiots and should be put in place by some legal action. I hope they are going to offer him and his family 10's of millions of dollars for the house after he passes to heaven.

Reactions: Gsr and Littleboy8