Google reveals real-time alert tool filtering out possible phone scams

In an age where technology is advancing at a breakneck pace, it's comforting to know that some advancements are designed to protect us from scammers.

In a recent development, tech giant Google announced a series of tools that serve as early detection measures for scams.

The recent Google I/O 2024 event unveiled a set of scam detection tools to revolutionise how we handle suspicious phone calls.

Through Google's forthcoming artificial intelligence (AI) technology, phone calls from scammers can be filtered out in real time.

The AI analyses real-time conversation patterns and identifies those commonly associated with scams.

google i o.PNG
Google’s artificial intelligence-powered scam detection tool will be released later this year along with the Android 15 update. Image Credit: Google I/O 2024

If something fishy is detected, users will receive an immediate alert on their phones, alarming them to hang up before any harm.

This proactive approach to scam detection is a game-changer, as users will no longer have to rely on intuition or hope they'll recognise a scam when they hear one.

Google's AI will act as a personal watchdog, sniffing out potential fraudsters when they start their spiel.

And the best part? It all happens on your device, ensuring privacy.

While this feature won't be available in the initial release of Android 15, Google promised to share more details later in the year.

It's important to note that users must opt-in to use the tool, which is a nod to personal choice and privacy concerns.

Adding AI technology in Android 15 is more than just scam detection. It also brings Google's Gemini chatbot directly to devices, eliminating the need for a cloud connection.

This means that phones will have enhanced contextual awareness when using apps, making smartphone usage smoother and more intuitive.

Google's AI-powered tool showcase is a rather interesting development.

We understand the importance of feeling secure in daily interactions.

Google's new tool could be a significant step towards achieving that peace of mind.

We encourage members to stay informed about these updates and consider opting in when the feature becomes available.

It's an intelligent way to safeguard yourself against the cunning tricks of modern-day scammers.
Key Takeaways

• Google has announced the development of new scam detection tools that will provide real-time alerts during phone calls on Android phones.
  • The AI-driven tools will identify conversation patterns commonly associated with scams and notify users immediately during the call.
  • This feature is designed to enhance security without compromising privacy, as it operates on the device itself.
  • The scam detection feature will require users to opt-in for usage. It will be available on Android 15, set to be released later this year.
What do you think about Google's AI-powered anti-scam tools? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
If I were a scammer, that bit of Google AI could make superb ransomware. Alas, an opportunity lost because of my misspent youth of 50 years ago not learning to code...................It could keep telling one not to answer the telephone unless you press button A.

What happens if Google appears to be the scammer??
I just found out that I am paying for YouTube Premium through Google payment services. I checked on YT and don’t have access to premium.
Yet another lengthy bout of messages between PayPal, YT and anyone else who wants to get involved.
I am more upset with myself that I didn’t spot this a few months ago.

I never answer calls where I don’t recognise the number. If it is important, they will leave a message. Scammers never leave messages.
Scammers never leave messages? They just haven't thought of doing that. Now that you have told them...........

If AI can be designed so as to stabilize continuously in a millisecond the utter complexity of magnetic containment of a fusion reaction in a nuclear fusion reactor(breaking news from the USA) just think what a fake Google AI-driven app/thingey can do on your mobile phone................

Reactions: Veggiepatch
If AI can be designed so as to stabilize continuously in a millisecond the utter complexity of magnetic containment of a fusion reaction in a nuclear fusion reactor(breaking news from the USA) just think what a fake Google AI-driven app/thingey can do on your mobile phone................
The Chinese have developed an AI system to hack any telecommunication or computer device by sending decaying Plutonium 238 via an undetectable but malicious email under the guise of TikTok. It infects the central processing unit as indicated in the following equation:-

{\displaystyle \lim _{\lambda _{B}\rightarrow 0}\left[{\frac {N_{A0}\lambda _{A}}{\lambda _{B}-\lambda _{A}}}\left(e^{-\lambda _{A}t}-e^{-\lambda _{B}t}\right)\right]={\frac {N_{A0}\lambda _{A}}{0-\lambda _{A}}}\left(e^{-\lambda _{A}t}-1\right)=N_{A0}\left(1-e^{-\lambda _{A}t}\right),}

Unbelievable? Well, it's all made up BS!!!

The Chinese have developed an AI system to hack any telecommunication or computer device by sending decaying Plutonium 238 via an undetectable but malicious email under the guise of TikTok. It infects the central processing unit as indicated in the following equation:-

{\displaystyle \lim _{\lambda _{B}\rightarrow 0}\left[{\frac {N_{A0}\lambda _{A}}{\lambda _{B}-\lambda _{A}}}\left(e^{-\lambda _{A}t}-e^{-\lambda _{B}t}\right)\right]={\frac {N_{A0}\lambda _{A}}{0-\lambda _{A}}}\left(e^{-\lambda _{A}t}-1\right)=N_{A0}\left(1-e^{-\lambda _{A}t}\right),}

See, the Chinese even altered the all important equation!

Looks like the sort of radioactive decay equation I was acquainted with for A-level physics in1967. I would just post a bit of decaying Plutonium in a small parcel. Hammers are better for dealing with central processing units...................

My relatively cheap Oppo mobile warns me when I get certain calls by showing a banner "This call was identified as a possible scam call". So I dont answer. If it s a real person they can always leave a voicemail and I will call back!

Reactions: Babbie
My relatively cheap Oppo mobile warns me when I get certain calls by showing a banner "This call was identified as a possible scam call". So I dont answer. If it s a real person they can always leave a voicemail and I will call back!
I agree, it’s not rocket science !

My relatively cheap Oppo mobile warns me when I get certain calls by showing a banner "This call was identified as a possible scam call". So I don't answer. If it s a real person they can always leave a voicemail and I will call back!
I bet some smart scammer has already created a scam like that and has organised how to get into your account in that millisecond that it takes for your phone to shut down when you shut it down in response to the warning, or you phone someone legitimate. If they haven't, then some scammer will, especially with the availability of AI and quantum computing just round the corner .

i