Gone but never forgotten: Legendary singer Tony Bennett and Aussie cricket hero Brian Taber pass away

We here at the Seniors Discount Club are deeply saddened to learn of two beloved icons' passings; legendary singer Tony Bennett and Australian cricketing icon Brian Taber.

We mourn the loss of two remarkably gifted individuals whose excellence in their respective fields made them favourites among many Aussies—and both legends have left behind commendable legacies that celebrate the power of passion and hard work.

The tearful news of Tony Bennett's passing was announced by his lifelong publicist, Sylvia Weiner. Mr Bennett died at age 96 last Friday, following a career spanning an impressive eight decades.

The singer found fame in the 1950s and was well-known for hits like 'I Left My Heart in San Francisco' and 'I Wanna Be Around'. Bennett also dueted with some of the biggest contemporary names in the music industry, such as Bob Hope, Lady Gaga, and Frank Sinatra.

Credit: The Ed Sullivan Show.

In fact, Sinatra himself once said to Life magazine that Bennett was 'the best singer in the business'. Throughout his career, Bennett was awarded no less than 19 Grammy Awards and even appeared on the animated show The Simpsons.

Despite being diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2016, Mr Bennett continued to perform up to 2021.

For this passionate singer, the idea of 'work' had never entered his thoughts; when asked in interviews, he was always candid about the fact that performing was something he simply loved to do and that he had never seen it as 'work' or a job.

He is survived by his wife, Susan Benedetto; his two sons, Danny and Dae Bennett; his daughters, Johanna Bennett and Antonia Bennett; and his nine grandchildren.

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 8.59.49 AM.png
Today, we pay a heartfelt tribute to American jazz and pop maestro Tony Bennett and Australia's cricket prodigy Brian Taber. Credit: Facebook/Tony Bennett, Cricket.com.au.

Unfortunately, in the same week that Tony Bennett's death was announced, the world of Australian cricket lost one of its greatest stars who had also recently been nominated for the New South Wales Hall of Fame; Brian Taber.

Nicknamed 'Tabsy' and 'Herbie' by his closest friends and teammates, Taber had a brief career as a cricketer, having only played 16 tests for Australia between 1966 to 1970. In these tests, Taber made a name for himself as 'one of Australia's greatest ever keepers'.

Aside from his skill on the field, Taber remained an extremely popular figure in cricket due to his kind soul and generous spirit.

In 1974, Taber hung up his gloves and went on to become a successful coach, particularly with the Australia U19 side: the Men's National Under-19 Championships' Player of the Tournament winner still receives the Brian Taber Medal to this day.

The news of Brian Taber's death was met with an outpouring of sorrow from all corners of the cricket world.

Current Cricket Australia CEO, Nick Hockley, said of Taber: 'Brian's vast popularity among former teammates, and all those fortunate enough to have known him, is just one indication of the impact he had on our game.'

'His contribution to Australian cricket was immense, as a player, coach, manager and selector. We are deeply saddened by Brian's passing and enormously grateful for his significant contribution to Australian Cricket.'

Key Takeaways

• Legendary singer Tony Bennett, best known for singing 'I Left My Heart in San Francisco', passed away at age 96.
  • Bennett had a career spanning eight decades, in which he won 19 Grammy Awards.
  • Australian cricket legend and wicketkeeper Brian Taber passed away aged 83.
  • Taber played 16 Tests for Australia between 1966 and 1970 and was mentioned as one of the finest glovesmen for his country and later became a top coach working with the Australia U19 side.

It is with profound sorrow and heavy hearts that we come together in remembrance of two extraordinary icons who have recently departed from this world.

Their legacies will forever shine brightly, serving as beacons of hope and inspiration. They remind us of the incredible power of pursuing our dreams with unwavering determination, leaving a lasting impression not only on the world but also on the hearts of those who admire them.

We extend our deepest condolences to their families, friends, and fans. May they rest in peace.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Kirrama and Liag
Sponsored
The last of the real crooners. This is a sad day indeed. In another life when I was a professional singer. I left my heart in San Francisco when I sang it, had a feeling to it I can’t explain. From what I’ve heard he was a lovely man and will be sadly missed. May God bless Mr Bennett

The last of the real crooners. This is a sad day indeed. In another life when I was a professional singer. I left my heart in San Francisco when I sang it, had a feeling to it I can’t explain. From what I’ve heard he was a lovely man and will be sadly missed. May God bless Mr Bennett
Yeah a great voice

Reactions: Gaena