Gogglebox Star’s emotional confession about her grandmother's struggle with dementia - 'Sometimes I wish she'd just go'

While we all like to forget the harsh realities of getting older, some of us can't ignore it, particularly if our ageing loved ones have been diagnosed with a life-altering condition like dementia.

That's the reality for the Silbery family, who recently have had to endure devastating news that has left them heartbroken.

Emotional scenes aren't anything new to Gogglebox - the tears have become an almost regular occurrence during the popular Aussie show’s run.

However, when the Silbery family, who have been regulars on the show for nearly six years now, revealed that their beloved grandmother would not be making a comeback for the show’s upcoming season, many fans were shocked.

750x750-118693921495.jpg

The Silbery broke the news about Emmie’s absence from Gogglebox due to her condition. Credit: Instagram/Isabelle Silbery.

Isabelle Silbery, one of the show’s beloved stars, broke down in tears during an interview with The Project while discussing her grandmother’s recent dementia diagnosis.

The 34-year-old Gogglebox Australia star, along with her mother Kerry, broke the devastating news earlier this month saying that 90-year-old Emmie would ‘no longer be appearing on Gogglebox’ due to her condition.

In an emotional promotional clip for the gut-wrenching episode, Isabelle could be heard sobbing as she shared how she’s been dealing with losing a family member to dementia.

'Sometimes, I really wish that she'd just go because she's not the same. It's just really hard,' she said.

Kerry explained that the 'hardest part' of Emmie's diagnosis was having to tell her that she wouldn’t be gracing the Gogglebox couch anymore.

'This is real life. Emmie is no longer able to do the show, and we wanted to be really transparent about that and not have her disappear off the couch,' Isabelle continued.

750x500-570637517590.jpg

Emma was diagnosed with dementia, which prevented her from returning to the show. Credit: Instagram/Isabelle Silbery.

The Silbery family first appeared on the show in 2016 and have shared many personal struggles along the way. However, this latest news has been very difficult for the family.

Kerry shared: ‘We've had to make an array of difficult decisions that are best for Emmie since her recent diagnosis of dementia.’

‘Emmie has now happily settled into an aged-care facility right around the corner from both Isabelle and me.’

Isabelle said that despite the challenging situation, their family ‘sorts itself out’ and that her grandmother is ‘safe and happy’ as she tackles new chapters in her life.

'It's been tough watching my grandma deteriorate before our eyes with dementia,' she wrote in a post on Instagram.

'I've been supporting mum, who has all the weight on her shoulders as she makes some big decisions for Emmie's future.'

'The three of us have always maintained being real with each other and you all, even through family struggles and this is one of them.'

She continued by expressing the hope that her grandmother’s condition ‘starts a conversation about dementia’ and its devastating impact on families.

Isabelle continued: 'What's best for her now is that she is safe and happy in permanent care just up the road, where we visit her every day.’

'She's stepping back from Gogglebox as it just wouldn't be fair to her, and instead, she will be enjoying her evening wine whilst watching us on the coach.'

'Rest assured, Emmie is still cracking jokes, still up for a cuddle and in blissful ignorance of her circumstance.'

However, Isabelle’s fans were shocked and devastated by the news, with many recalling the hilarious and witty moments Emmie shared with them during her time on the show.

One fan wrote: ‘We all love our Emmie it’s going to be so sad not seeing her every week. Love you Emmie to the moon and back.’

‘Sending love to the three of you,’ another added.

A third chimed in: ‘Sending you all a huge hug. Dementia is awful, make the most of every day with your loved ones.’

Emmie may no longer be able to join the family on the Gogglebox couch, but as Isabelle said, she's still around, cracking jokes, and always up for a cuddle.

Key Takeaways
  • Isabelle Silbery broke down in tears over her grandmother Emmie's recent dementia diagnosis during an emotional interview on The Project.
  • Earlier this month, the Silberys made the sad announcement Emmie would no longer be joining them on the Gogglebox couch due to her condition.
  • Isabelle hopes 'this opens up the conversation about dementia' and for her grandmother to be safe and happy in her aged-care facility.
  • The Silbery family has appeared in the series since 2016.

Members, this is undoubtedly an incredibly challenging and delicate situation, especially if you are diagnosed or are looking after someone with dementia. Just remember to be there for your loved ones in any way you can, while also looking after yourself at the same time.

What are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever been through a similar situation? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Dementia is one of the worst diseases any family has to deal with, you lose them twice, firstly to the disease and then when they finally pass.

My eldest sister has dementia and it is the most heartbreaking thing to have to witness. Her beautiful eldest daughter cares for her at home. The house is a fortress, the house internally is as you have it with a terrorist of a toddler lol, with cupboards drawers and doors made safe. Sadly now my poor love has no idea who her 7 children are, does not know her grandchildren & great grandchildren or her kid's partners. Even her beloved little dog, who herself is elderly at 15 yrs, can't understand why she is chased away as now she dislikes the cat & dog. As a child she had polio and was in an iron lung for a couple of years so her general health is declining rapidly. It's a cruel cruel cruel condition. I myself have Parkinson's Disease which I only cope with as I have a lot of support. Life can sometimes really be a sod but all the time we are able and have breath make each day count 🌸🐞🌻🐞🌸

Reactions: Bellclare and Ricci
I have told my family I would prefer early termination rather than being a burden on someone. We were never meant to live this long, but, they keep coming up with new drugs and even new parts to put in you. I vote yes for euthanasia because think about it, once the brain is gone you are literally brain dead. If you have any good organs left, harvest them, be of use before the body withers away with the brain.

My husband died of dementia 5 months ago. He was in a residential care facility for nearly 2 years before his death, and for the last year or so he could not speak or understand speech. I visited almost every day, and he knew me to the end. He loved music, and would dance happily whenever they had music on. When I wasn’t there he spent most of his time shuffling up and down the corridor humming to himself. I took my iPad with me on visits so I could play music to him; this was a form of communication that made us both happy.

While we all like to forget the harsh realities of getting older, some of us can't ignore it, particularly if our ageing loved ones have been diagnosed with a life-altering condition like dementia.

That's the reality for the Silbery family, who recently have had to endure devastating news that has left them heartbroken.

Emotional scenes aren't anything new to Gogglebox - the tears have become an almost regular occurrence during the popular Aussie show’s run.

However, when the Silbery family, who have been regulars on the show for nearly six years now, revealed that their beloved grandmother would not be making a comeback for the show’s upcoming season, many fans were shocked.

750x750-118693921495.jpg

The Silbery broke the news about Emmie’s absence from Gogglebox due to her condition. Credit: Instagram/Isabelle Silbery.

Isabelle Silbery, one of the show’s beloved stars, broke down in tears during an interview with The Project while discussing her grandmother’s recent dementia diagnosis.

The 34-year-old Gogglebox Australia star, along with her mother Kerry, broke the devastating news earlier this month saying that 90-year-old Emmie would ‘no longer be appearing on Gogglebox’ due to her condition.

In an emotional promotional clip for the gut-wrenching episode, Isabelle could be heard sobbing as she shared how she’s been dealing with losing a family member to dementia.

'Sometimes, I really wish that she'd just go because she's not the same. It's just really hard,' she said.

Kerry explained that the 'hardest part' of Emmie's diagnosis was having to tell her that she wouldn’t be gracing the Gogglebox couch anymore.

'This is real life. Emmie is no longer able to do the show, and we wanted to be really transparent about that and not have her disappear off the couch,' Isabelle continued.

750x500-570637517590.jpg

Emma was diagnosed with dementia, which prevented her from returning to the show. Credit: Instagram/Isabelle Silbery.

The Silbery family first appeared on the show in 2016 and have shared many personal struggles along the way. However, this latest news has been very difficult for the family.

Kerry shared: ‘We've had to make an array of difficult decisions that are best for Emmie since her recent diagnosis of dementia.’

‘Emmie has now happily settled into an aged-care facility right around the corner from both Isabelle and me.’

Isabelle said that despite the challenging situation, their family ‘sorts itself out’ and that her grandmother is ‘safe and happy’ as she tackles new chapters in her life.

'It's been tough watching my grandma deteriorate before our eyes with dementia,' she wrote in a post on Instagram.

'I've been supporting mum, who has all the weight on her shoulders as she makes some big decisions for Emmie's future.'

'The three of us have always maintained being real with each other and you all, even through family struggles and this is one of them.'

She continued by expressing the hope that her grandmother’s condition ‘starts a conversation about dementia’ and its devastating impact on families.

Isabelle continued: 'What's best for her now is that she is safe and happy in permanent care just up the road, where we visit her every day.’

'She's stepping back from Gogglebox as it just wouldn't be fair to her, and instead, she will be enjoying her evening wine whilst watching us on the coach.'

'Rest assured, Emmie is still cracking jokes, still up for a cuddle and in blissful ignorance of her circumstance.'

However, Isabelle’s fans were shocked and devastated by the news, with many recalling the hilarious and witty moments Emmie shared with them during her time on the show.

One fan wrote: ‘We all love our Emmie it’s going to be so sad not seeing her every week. Love you Emmie to the moon and back.’

‘Sending love to the three of you,’ another added.

A third chimed in: ‘Sending you all a huge hug. Dementia is awful, make the most of every day with your loved ones.’

Emmie may no longer be able to join the family on the Gogglebox couch, but as Isabelle said, she's still around, cracking jokes, and always up for a cuddle.

Key Takeaways

• Isabelle Silbery broke down in tears over her grandmother Emmie's recent dementia diagnosis during an emotional interview on The Project.
  • Earlier this month, the Silberys made the sad announcement Emmie would no longer be joining them on the Gogglebox couch due to her condition.
  • Isabelle hopes 'this opens up the conversation about dementia' and for her grandmother to be safe and happy in her aged-care facility.
  • The Silbery family has appeared in the series since 2016.

Members, this is undoubtedly an incredibly challenging and delicate situation, especially if you are diagnosed or are looking after someone with dementia. Just remember to be there for your loved ones in any way you can, while also looking after yourself at the same time.

What are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever been through a similar situation? Let us know in the comments below.

My dad had dementia so I understand what the Silberys are going through. It’s very sad but happy to note she’s not too far away from them. All one can do is just be there for her.

Reactions: Di Di
My husband died of dementia 5 months ago. He was in a residential care facility for nearly 2 years before his death, and for the last year or so he could not speak or understand speech. I visited almost every day, and he knew me to the end. He loved music, and would dance happily whenever they had music on. When I wasn’t there he spent most of his time shuffling up and down the corridor humming to himself. I took my iPad with me on visits so I could play music to him; this was a form of communication that made us both happy.
So sorry for your loss. My dad passed away last year from dementia too.

Reactions: Di Di