Gippsland Tragedy: Families share their grief over suspected mushroom poisoning

In the quiet land of south Gippsland, Victoria, a recent tragic event has sent ripples through the close-knit community.
Three members of the same family–two sisters aged 66 and 70, alongside a 70-year-old male–succumbed to suspected mushroom poisoning, and authorities have been trying to identify the exact circumstances of the incident ever since.

The remaining member of the family, a 68-year-old male, continues to fight for his life in hospital, and the effect it and the loss of three loved ones has had on their families, friends, and the community is unfathomable.

Recently, the families of the affected individuals decided to break their silence and issue a statement expressing how deeply the tragedy has impacted them all.

'It is with profound sadness that we share the news of a tragic event that has deeply affected our families, friends and church community,' it began, although it did not name those involved out of respect for their privacy.

'Our beloved family members were cherished individuals,' the statement read.

'They were parents, grandparents, siblings, children, and pillars of faith within our community. Their love, steadfast faith, and selfless service have left an indelible mark on our families, the Korumburra Baptist Church, the local community, and indeed, people around the globe. We find solace in God's love, knowing that they are now in the presence of our Lord, Jesus Christ.'

shutterstock_593122532 (1).jpg
Not all mushrooms are safe to consume. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The families also thanked the medical staff for their hard work and selfless dedication in trying to save the lives of their nearest and dearest.

'We extend our heartfelt gratitude to our wider communities for their outpouring of love, support, and prayers,' it continued, addressing the issue of the hospitalised 68-year-old.

'This support extends not only to those we have tragically lost but also to our family member who continues to bravely fight for his life in the hospital. We also wish to express our deep appreciation to the staff of the hospitals that have cared for them. Their tireless efforts, expertise, and compassionate care for our families have been a source of comfort during this difficult time.'

At the time of the incident, Victoria Police were uncertain whether the incident was accidental or intentional, but since then, they have been thoroughly and diligently investigating the matter to determine a cause.

It's suspected the poisoning was the result of eating mushrooms the group had harvested from the wild.

Key Takeaways
  • Three people died, and one is in hospital after consuming suspected poisonous mushrooms in south Gippsland, Victoria.
  • Families of the deceased, who were part of the Korumburra Baptist Church community, released a statement expressing their sadness and gratitude for the outpouring of support.
  • The incident occurred after the group ate lunch at a home in Leongatha on July 30 and were admitted to Leongatha Hospital the following day due to deteriorating conditions.
  • The exact circumstances remain unknown, and an investigation into the incident by Victoria Police is ongoing.

We here at the SDC would like to express our deepest sympathies to the families affected by this heartbreaking event.

Mushroom picking is a hugely popular activity enjoyed by Australians of all ages, but the consequences of getting it wrong can be deadly.

Always source your mushrooms from your local greengrocer or supermarket or have them identified by an expert if you plan on harvesting them from the wild. If you're ever uncertain whether or not something is poisonous, err on the safe side and avoid it.

In case of emergencies, immediately call 000 or the Poisons Information Centre at 131 126.

What are your thoughts on this news, members? Have you ever tried mushroom picking? Or are you concerned by the high level of risk involved?

Sponsored
Sorry for them in one way, but ... how many times does ANY danger message have to be repeated? I can remember my mother telling me, from a very early age, NEVER to eat mushrooms from the wild (I'm 83), and the same thing being stressed by authorities over the years. Some people just can't be told.

I think the ex daughter inlaw killed them.
I know innocent till proven guilty but she gave her kids a different meal and looks like she ate a different meal.

Every knows not to pick and eat wild mushrooms.

I do have a friend who picks mushrooms but she knows the right ones which she goes to a farm to pick

As a teenager I had friends who would go and pick gold top mushies to use as a hallucination . Lucky no one died

In the quiet land of south Gippsland, Victoria, a recent tragic event has sent ripples through the close-knit community.
Three members of the same family–two sisters aged 66 and 70, alongside a 70-year-old male–succumbed to suspected mushroom poisoning, and authorities have been trying to identify the exact circumstances of the incident ever since.

The remaining member of the family, a 68-year-old male, continues to fight for his life in hospital, and the effect it and the loss of three loved ones has had on their families, friends, and the community is unfathomable.

Recently, the families of the affected individuals decided to break their silence and issue a statement expressing how deeply the tragedy has impacted them all.

'It is with profound sadness that we share the news of a tragic event that has deeply affected our families, friends and church community,' it began, although it did not name those involved out of respect for their privacy.

'They were parents, grandparents, siblings, children, and pillars of faith within our community. Their love, steadfast faith, and selfless service have left an indelible mark on our families, the Korumburra Baptist Church, the local community, and indeed, people around the globe. We find solace in God's love, knowing that they are now in the presence of our Lord, Jesus Christ.'

View attachment 26864

The families also thanked the medical staff for their hard work and selfless dedication in trying to save the lives of their nearest and dearest.

'We extend our heartfelt gratitude to our wider communities for their outpouring of love, support, and prayers,' it continued, addressing the issue of the hospitalised 68-year-old.

'This support extends not only to those we have tragically lost but also to our family member who continues to bravely fight for his life in the hospital. We also wish to express our deep appreciation to the staff of the hospitals that have cared for them. Their tireless efforts, expertise, and compassionate care for our families have been a source of comfort during this difficult time.'

At the time of the incident, Victoria Police were uncertain whether the incident was accidental or intentional, but since then, they have been thoroughly and diligently investigating the matter to determine a cause.

It's suspected the poisoning was the result of eating mushrooms the group had harvested from the wild.

Key Takeaways

• Three people died, and one is in hospital after consuming suspected poisonous mushrooms in south Gippsland, Victoria.
  • Families of the deceased, who were part of the Korumburra Baptist Church community, released a statement expressing their sadness and gratitude for the outpouring of support.
  • The incident occurred after the group ate lunch at a home in Leongatha on July 30 and were admitted to Leongatha Hospital the following day due to deteriorating conditions.
  • The exact circumstances remain unknown, and an investigation into the incident by Victoria Police is ongoing.

We here at the SDC would like to express our deepest sympathies to the families affected by this heartbreaking event.

Mushroom picking is a hugely popular activity enjoyed by Australians of all ages, but the consequences of getting it wrong can be deadly.

Always source your mushrooms from your local greengrocer or supermarket or have them identified by an expert if you plan on harvesting them from the wild. If you're ever uncertain whether or not something is poisonous, err on the safe side and avoid it.

In case of emergencies, immediately call 000 or the Poisons Information Centre at 131 126.

What are your thoughts on this news, members? Have you ever tried mushroom picking? Or are you concerned by the high level of risk involved?

View attachment 26864

Key Takeaways

You should never eat any wild mushrooms if you cannot identify them as safe. I suspect these people are toadstools not mushrooms. Or magic mushrooms. A true mushroom is pink underneath or if old brown. The skin on top can be peeled back. If it doesn't peel don't touch it. Safer still, buy them from the supermarket😋

You should never eat any wild mushrooms if you cannot identify them as safe. I suspect these people are toadstools not mushrooms. Or magic mushrooms. A true mushroom is pink underneath or if old brown. The skin on top can be peeled back. If it doesn't peel don't touch it. Safer still, buy them from the supermarket😋
I guess it is a bit suspicious, but many people, especially children, do not like mushrooms
For many years I would cook mushrooms for my husband, but not myself and wouldn't like to think I would be suspected of trying to kill him as he often picked wild mushrooms.
When I was a young child my brother and I often went mushrooming with our nanna, never did we pick poisonous ones, we learnt very young
which ones to pick

View attachment 26864

Key Takeaways

Mushroom season is usually around Easter is when I'd pick them not now and what was shown on the news I wouldn't touch as they were toadstools, deathcaps etc 🤔 hmmm as for the ex daughter in-law something doesn't add up the investigation will sort it out 🙃

We came from Europe where mushrooming was an everyday thing. My mum knew her mushrooms but always cooked them with a real silver spoon. It seems if by chance you picked a poisonous one, the spoon would go black. We never got sick so she must have known her stuff. Love my mushrooms but I buy mine at the grocers.

I met a group of five excited English backpackers while out walking in Mullumbimby a few years back, who showed me a pile of Angel of death (also called death-cap mushrooms) that they were going to eat.

They took a bit of convincing to throw them away. I asked if they could record all of their names on one mobile and show what there about to eat, so I can give it to the police and their parents can see it after and know what happened and that stopped them. lucky, for them, I wandered along.

If you can afford to buy mushrooms at a supermarket............,

I guess it is a bit suspicious, but many people, especially children, do not like mushrooms
For many years I would cook mushrooms for my husband, but not myself and wouldn't like to think I would be suspected of trying to kill him as he often picked wild mushrooms.
When I was a young child my brother and I often went mushrooming with our nanna, never did we pick poisonous ones, we learnt very young
which ones to pick
When we were young we would gather mushrooms after the rain our parents were always with us , now only get them at the supermarket much safer.

View attachment 26864

Key Takeaways

This is very sad for that family, my heart aches for them God be with you.

We know 100% not to pick wild mushrooms. I taught my children that. Not even the wild animals eat them. I walk my dog daily and we see mushrooms growing in the grass on the sidewalks, and my dog won't even bother to sniff them, walks over them. Why would you go pick mushrooms if you don't know anything about mushrooms? By the looks of the mushroom cook, where she lives, has a nice car, clothes etc. she can afford to buy mushrooms in the supermarket. I am just glad that I am not her. omg.

View attachment 26864

Key Takeaways

Mushroom picking is a no-no there are many varieties of mushrooms that are toxic only buy from the supermarket or local greengrocer really is sad to hear about the tragic death of this family members please think twice before picking your own mushrooms might look like fun but can be deadly more information need to be available to the public about this.

I reckon it's the oooh ahhh cooking shows using exotic mushrooms that most probably behind it.

I had a girlfriend named Jennie a few years ago, who would wake early and go off by herself on a forage and bring back two rolled up leaves, packed with all sorts of things nestershums? etc and it was moorish, very crunchy, sweet and yummy and delicious.

No way have I ever replicated that. Wild mushroom cooking shows (from other countries) are I suspect to blame.

I met a group of five excited English backpackers while out walking in Mullumbimby a few years back, who showed me a pile of Angel of death (also called death-cap mushrooms) that they were going to eat.

They took a bit of convincing to throw them away. I asked if they could record all of their names on one mobile and show what there about to eat, so I can give it to the police and their parents can see it after and know what happened and that stopped them. lucky, for them, I wandered along.
Great job you did there! You were like their Earth Angel!

Reactions: Annna and Ezzy
We came from Europe where mushrooming was an everyday thing. My mum knew her mushrooms but always cooked them with a real silver spoon. It seems if by chance you picked a poisonous one, the spoon would go black. We never got sick so she must have known her stuff. Love my mushrooms but I buy mine at the grocers.
Same Ricki my parents were Italian and we always went mushrooming in winter. Mum would add an old 2 shilling coin to the pot (solid silver in those days). If it went black, the mushrooms were inedible. If it stayed silver, good to go.

Great advice all around. Especially like the silver spoon or 2 shilling coin. Best advice of course is leave well alone something you know little or nothing about.
I don't eat mushrooms so l will not succumb to poisoning from these.

I am very suspicious of the lady who cooked & fed these to her guests. Have to ask what she stands to gain in this besides redemption for something they did to her. Strange her ex was in hospital last year after something eaten.

The media had no right to hound her with microphones & cameras right up to her front door. Is this trespassing because they entered her property uninvited?

You either KNOW your mushrooms or not. My son-in-law does, but I STILL am suss. Supermarket for me , & am always happy when I wake up the next morning. I stick to the button ones & if any other ones are in a recipe I still use the button for safety. I have even bought the box & grown them myself. I would love to have a crack @ the big ones though, but I love life too much.