Ginger beer-flavoured potato chip released in Australia sparks debate—what's your take on it?

In a surprising twist of culinary innovation, Kettle, a popular snack brand, has released a new potato chip flavour that has divided Australians.

The new flavour? Bundaberg Ginger Beer. Yes, you read that right. One of Australia's most beloved beverages has been transformed into a snack, and consumer reactions are as varied as they are passionate.

The new Bundaberg Ginger Beer flavoured Kettle chips were spotted by a surprised shopper last November 14, who took to social media to share their discovery, captioning a photo of the chips with, 'Which one of you [...] made this happen?'

This sparked a flurry of responses, with some Aussies defending the unusual flavour combination as 'tasty' while others were less convinced.

Screenshot 2023-11-16 092649.png
Kettle introduced a new chips flavour. Credit: Reddit

'They taste absolutely phenomenal,' one enthusiastic supporter wrote.

'That sounds mint, I'd love to try some,' another chimed in.

'I enjoyed them, a bit of a shock if you weren't expecting the flavour though as it's quite intense,' a third person added.

'They're surprisingly good, just a hint of ginger,' a fourth person commented.

'They're really good, I'll be sad when the limited run ends,' another said.

However, not everyone was on board with the ginger beer-flavoured chips.

'I saw this yesterday and couldn't believe it was a thing,' one person said.

'They were so concerned over whether they could that they never stopped to consider if they should,' a third wrote.

'I can't do it. I bought the cinnamon doughnut Twisties, they hurt me so bad,' another said.

The price point of the chips was another point of contention. At $6 per bag, some commenters hesitated to try the new flavour.

'I'm curious, but not $6 a bag curious,' one said.

'I only bought them when I saw them on special at the servo for $3.50, tasted alright,' another wrote.

Bundaberg Brewed Drinks, the company behind the famous Bundaberg Ginger Beer, was established in Central Queensland in 1960. The company began exporting its fermented soft drinks overseas in the late 1980s, and is now sold around the globe.

The Ginger Beer flavour of Kettle potato chips will be available in all major Australian supermarkets for a limited time.

The Evolution of Snack Flavours in Australia

The release of Bundaberg Ginger Beer flavoured chips is just the latest in a long line of innovative snack flavours that have hit Australian shelves. From Vegemite and cheese-flavoured Shapes to lamington-flavoured chips, Aussie snack companies have never shied away from pushing the boundaries of taste.

These unique flavours are often released as limited-edition products, creating a sense of urgency among consumers to try them before they disappear. This marketing strategy has proven successful time and again, with many Australians eager to taste the latest and most unusual snack flavours.

Whether you're a fan of these innovative flavours or not, one thing is for sure—they certainly make snack time more interesting!

Key Takeaways
  • Kettle has released Bundaberg Ginger Beer flavoured chips, causing a divide among Australians.
  • Some consumers praised the new flavour as 'tasty' and 'phenomenal', while others were hesitant to try it.
  • The $6-per-bag price point was a major point of contention among commenters.
  • The Bundaberg Ginger Beer flavour of Kettle potato chips will be available in all major Australian supermarkets for a limited time.

So, what do you think, members? Are you excited to try these new ginger beer-flavoured chips, or is it a step too far? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I love ginger beer and every now and then, in summer I have it with a shot of vodka, but chips - I think that is a step to far, although I might give them a go.

Reactions: Littleboy8
In a surprising twist of culinary innovation, Kettle, a popular snack brand, has released a new potato chip flavour that has divided Australians.

The new flavour? Bundaberg Ginger Beer. Yes, you read that right. One of Australia's most beloved beverages has been transformed into a snack, and consumer reactions are as varied as they are passionate.

The new Bundaberg Ginger Beer flavoured Kettle chips were spotted by a surprised shopper last November 14, who took to social media to share their discovery, captioning a photo of the chips with, 'Which one of you [...] made this happen?'

This sparked a flurry of responses, with some Aussies defending the unusual flavour combination as 'tasty' while others were less convinced.

View attachment 34895

'I enjoyed them, a bit of a shock if you weren't expecting the flavour though as it's quite intense,' a third person added.

'They were so concerned over whether they could that they never stopped to consider if they should,' a third wrote.

'I can't do it. I bought the cinnamon doughnut Twisties, they hurt me so bad,' another said.

The price point of the chips was another point of contention. At $6 per bag, some commenters hesitated to try the new flavour.

'I only bought them when I saw them on special at the servo for $3.50, tasted alright,' another wrote.

Bundaberg Brewed Drinks, the company behind the famous Bundaberg Ginger Beer, was established in Central Queensland in 1960. The company began exporting its fermented soft drinks overseas in the late 1980s, and is now sold around the globe.

The Ginger Beer flavour of Kettle potato chips will be available in all major Australian supermarkets for a limited time.

The release of Bundaberg Ginger Beer flavoured chips is just the latest in a long line of innovative snack flavours that have hit Australian shelves. From Vegemite and cheese-flavoured Shapes to lamington-flavoured chips, Aussie snack companies have never shied away from pushing the boundaries of taste.

These unique flavours are often released as limited-edition products, creating a sense of urgency among consumers to try them before they disappear. This marketing strategy has proven successful time and again, with many Australians eager to taste the latest and most unusual snack flavours.

Whether you're a fan of these innovative flavours or not, one thing is for sure—they certainly make snack time more interesting!

Key Takeaways

• Kettle has released Bundaberg Ginger Beer flavoured chips, causing a divide among Australians.
  • Some consumers praised the new flavour as 'tasty' and 'phenomenal', while others were hesitant to try it.
  • The Bundaberg Ginger Beer flavour of Kettle potato chips will be available in all major Australian supermarkets for a limited time.

So, what do you think, members? Are you excited to try these new ginger beer-flavoured chips, or is it a step too far? Let us know in the comments below.
At the current price of a normal bag of chips I'll get a large potato and make my own.

Heck, what next ?......maybe a full Cocktail Bar Range, with Assorted Beer Flavours, and of course your favorite Red or White wine as well. Could end up as a very interesting evening on the couch with your lover with this lot, while watching a movie. So which would be your favorite concoction with these to choose from. How is your CRINKLE cut. ? 🤔😉

View attachment 34895

Key Takeaways

Two things I love, but not sure if I want them in the same body. Only buy them when on special. $6 is waaay too much!

These chips are very nice. Not a fan of ginger beer but chips yes. Look for them on a special IGA were $2.40 last week
I bought them at IGA as well. Had to try because hubby is a major ginger beer fan.
The taste is salty/sweet. Hubby said, where is the ginger beer.
My take is I liked them even though I cannot abide ginger beer.
So, I guess the verdict is, taste OK, no ginger beer taste.

I don't know how that would spark a debate as I have said many times each to their own