Get the designer look for less with Kmart's bargain dupe of a $2,700 luxury piece!

We know that style and comfort are important factors for everyone when it comes to decorating their homes.

However, some furniture items on the market can be surprisingly expensive. And with purse strings being pulled ever tighter, it's become quite the task to keep up with the latest trends, leaving us with a dilemma about how to furnish our homes without stretching our budgets.

Fortunately, one eagle-eyes shopper found the perfect solution to that problem, and it comes in the form of a designer dupe from budget retailer Kmart.

While browsing through Kmart's vast array of furniture, one astute bargain hunter couldn’t believe their eyes when they discovered a dupe of a designer piece.

The shopper said they realised the retail giant’s $249 Alfie Sideboard was a near-identical dupe of the luxurious Quinn Lacquer Sideboard, which is available at high-end designer store West Elm.

According to the product description, the Alfie Sideboard features a ‘simple yet elegant design’ that easily blends in any décor style.

dupe1.jpg
The shopper shared their discovery online. Credit: Kmart

‘$2,200 West Elm or $249 Kmart Australia? Who wore it best?!’ The overjoyed Kmart shopper exclaimed on social media.

Upon closer inspection, it turns out that the only apparent difference between the two sideboards is the colour of their legs, with the West Elm piece boasting elegant gold legs while the Kmart version sports white ones.

This astounding price discrepancy has left many shoppers picking their jaws up off the floor, as the designer Quinn Lacquer Sideboard retails for a whopping $2,699 (though it's currently reduced to $2,159) – almost ten times the cost of the budget-friendly Kmart alternative.

‘I actually can’t believe [Kmart] still have stock. I’d need to touch it before buying. Clearly, it won’t be the same quality. I love West Elm. I so want to buy it,’ the savvy shopper added, prompting others to join in the wild frenzy to nab themselves a true bargain.

dupe2.jpg
The designer piece’s resemblance to Kmart’s dupe is uncanny. Credit: West Elm

Fellow Kmart enthusiasts couldn't hold back their excitement. ‘Wow, it's worth looking around,’ commented one, while another said, ‘I prefer the look of the Kmart one.’

A clever tip came from another member: ‘You can even upgrade the Kmart legs from Bunnings, and it will still be cheaper.’

Another fan chimed in, suggesting that those wishing to achieve the luxe gold-legged look could purchase separate legs from IKEA.

More product reviews on Kmart’s website stated how ‘beautiful’ the product is.

‘I got the sideboard and bedside tables, and I love this set so much. It looks classy without the price tag. 1,000 per cent recommend,’ said one.

‘Was easy to put together and looks amazing. Great value,’ shared another.

dupe3.jpg
A side-by-side comparison. The one on the left is Kmart's dupe, while the product on the right is from West Elm. Credit: Kmart/West Elm

This comes after shoppers collectively agreed that Kmart is the best place to find designer dupes of their favourite brands. You can read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• Kmart shoppers are going wild over a new piece of furniture that's a bargain dupe of a $ 2200 designer piece.
  • An eagle-eyed Kmart fan shared on social media how the retailer's $249 Alfie Sideboard is nearly identical to the more expensive Quinn Lacquer Sideboard available at West Elm.
  • The only apparent difference between the West Elm piece and the Kmart version is the colour of the legs, with gold legs on the West Elm sideboard and white legs on the Kmart sideboard.
  • Kmart fans were excited by the bargain discovery and shared how they preferred the look of the Kmart one or suggested ways to upgrade the Kmart sideboard with different legs.
So, if you're after that designer look without making your wallet weep, head down to your local Kmart while stocks last and give your home a stylish update. As always, we recommend checking the quality in-store before making your purchase.

Happy bargain hunting, members!

Sponsored
What a bargain! It looks fantastic and is a great copy. If you like the gold look legs you could always paint them too.

Who on earth are these people allegedly rushing out to buy this junk?🙄

And who said the only difference is the colour of the legs?

Try checking the spec of both first.....

• Material: Particle board (PB) with melamine and paper, metal and medium-density fibreboard (MDF)
Made in China

• Frame: Solid mahogany wood.
• Drawer & cabinet fronts: Fluted engineered wood.
• Sides: Engineered wood in a Haze lacquer finish.
• All wood is kiln-dried for added durability.
Made in Indonesia

I wonder which is which?😁 Although if you're skint you'd probably buy the cheap one?
I'll stick to the solid one, although Harvey Norman has a lot of good well made furniture as well. 👍

Who on earth are these people allegedly rushing out to buy this junk?🙄

And who said the only difference is the colour of the legs?

Try checking the spec of both first.....

• Material: Particle board (PB) with melamine and paper, metal and medium-density fibreboard (MDF)
Made in China

• Frame: Solid mahogany wood.
• Drawer & cabinet fronts: Fluted engineered wood.
• Sides: Engineered wood in a Haze lacquer finish.
• All wood is kiln-dried for added durability.
Made in Indonesia

I wonder which is which?😁 Although if you're skint you'd probably buy the cheap one?
I'll stick to the solid one, although Harvey Norman has a lot of good well made furniture as well. 👍
People like me, who can't afford the "real" deal. So happy for you, that you have so much $'s that you can buy all the expensive stuff. Enjoy it.

Reactions: Bindii
You get what you buy and I believe the more expensive one would be made of solid wood.

My daughter has purchased a few pieces of furniture from kmart and it doesn't last at all.
Better of buying from Ikea , still cheap I would say same price as kmart or maybe even cheaper but better quality than kmart

Reactions: freedy50