Get tech savvy with money: The top apps that will help reduce your expenses

As the economy goes downhill and the cost of living skyrockets, millions of Australians are left with no choice but to scramble for ways to cope with their daily expenses. But did you know that you’re only a click away from handy money-saving solutions?

Dubbed as the ‘queen of saving money,’ Queenie Tan was recently featured in A Current Affair where she shared the top applications that helps her get a better grasp of her spending habits and slash her expenses during these trying times.

‘I focus primarily on supermarkets – ways people can save money on their grocery bill and at the petrol station,’ she said.

‘Particularly with the cost of living rising, I think that now more than ever, it's important to share hacks that we know.’

_eYn_XXeYonTrXiyxYgRznu65N-pCV3Ru5gO6b4InxB5B0NRArmvc3yXQaLzFBHWt1fsPwRnGRHzQjY0k-iEI7irbzCUn-nx7yLZj_FiMZB2nKkpdCW6KfUPsxqGCHaK3GCPGMZLkNrpHeX5kp8
VRFDSVib3Tr4S28lfeqRE8J6ifjfgX8NrWfGXtXV82-98PvtwgOWLTRFyd_A-lB_HdlJUjtLA2x3J8x3aMwwjOZ4QQVWDZzDLlUTdbiDHJr_O8Oi5TU3MlewuHsuYdmKB8rj00pnHoSx5kiDU3g

The queen of saving money. Source: @investwithqueenie

Ms Tan is an avid saver. She purchased her first apartment at the age of 23 and claimed that she is still saving over $10,000 annually.

‘If you want to save $10,000 in one year–fun fact–all you need to do is save $27.40 per day,’

‘Isn't that crazy?’

While it might seem nearly impossible, Ms Tan said doing so is feasible with the help of a few tricks and applications.

1. Half Price

Ms Tan’s favourite free application is Half Price – an online catalogue that conveniently lists all of the deals at 50 per cent off at Coles and Woolworths.

The app gives you an option to filter the items depending on which supermarket you're shopping at to narrow down its half-price deals.

hCxep9bougutWTV-XnYejvYoxao7FUWAgfMnUW6OC0DknUsSmH3xOk9ZzDOSdnJw6MQ4xbNswxVigd1fBg13wzJekU3xK7GMswaDkjdXti2T-uyWssYLzHEIKXd26PesSi3wIQVz-Xfmc9cLW_c

Half Price app. Source: A Current Affair

‘This is really helpful for people who want to buy in bulk. Things like washing powder or dishwashing detergent,’ she explained.

‘This laundry powder was $22 and today it's $11,’ Tan said while using the Half Price app.

You may download this app on an iOS device by clicking here. If you’re using an android device, click here instead.

2. Scan&Go (Woolworths)

Scan&Go, via the Woolworths app, is available at selected Woolworths supermarkets. Ms Tan shared that this app is another one of her go-to’s.

‘You scan items and then add them straight to your bag, so when you finish shopping you don't have to wait in a line. You can basically scan a QR code and check [your groceries] out straight away,’ Tan detailed.

SNIln0eyCVxVyLSWMQfESrGyiu_iOStiTYvKJG8C3PBQh4Yg25KFdplOzBriLGY_uCjJOmwvBA4nSZllJlfhrI9Ic3Trz9Nm2OfZHt_NDE3PjtBiE0TQ6xCt6XeLN80at8oveWPyddzdy7IV2fQ

The Scan&Go app. Source: Woolworths

What makes this app incredibly helpful is that you can avoid being blindsided by the bill total. The app automatically calculates the cost of the items in your shopping list and you can modify it as you go.

You may download this app by clicking here.

3. Supermarket Rewards Apps: Woolworths Rewards and Coles Flybuys

The queen of money saving is also a fan of using rewards apps such as Woolworths Rewards and Coles Flybuys.

‘When you purchase something from Woolworths, you get points for every dollar you spend,’ she said.

‘When you get 2000 points, you get $10 off your grocery bill. With the Woolworths Rewards App, you can actually ‘boost’ items,’

rgVR3BJu245dGTZIBj_fmbanU9r2_N2rbuRfJ3eZ36aofHfPqzA4YRnnAXCakQ3v8XwzplS8JgGRilTidTagT_mN5I-XfagGXBef05vxTXF-QyAiPBsT4GB2ODDNnYxCo1aJHvibxb2jZ2qfE_s

Supermarket loyalty programs. Source: A Current Affair

‘So whenever I'm in line at the checkout, I boost all of my points so I can get more points for every dollar that I spend and get my $10 off quicker.’ The SDC team would like to add that Woolworths Rewards states that ‘boosts’ can take up to 30 minutes to activate so head onto the app before driving to the store.

Coles Flybuys has similar features and benefits as Woolworths Rewards.

Learn more about supermarket loyalty programs by reading this article here.

4. Frugl

Last but definitely not least, Frugl works by scanning catalogues at major supermarkets including Coles, Woolies, Aldi and IGA and then updates them weekly so you know where to find the best bargains. The app features more than 58,000 products.

‘A lot of people don't know this about Woolworths’ price tags, but you can actually see the dates these items are going to be on sale for,’ Ms Tan shared.

o6GzFTy-RV7IiUOtWp0RGhCFM_Uet8iorvinwpoLZA_cH6mV4Ssd4Z8vlB9y-EA4zH7d-8PfL0IK9d9ONG_MHiqP55eA-vZX0DTjsXVTiLlYY1F4vnnef8vdMu84_XWJGnI9m_Xda3Jn8ZQ4TR8

Source: Frugl

She urged people to keep an eye out for coloured tags at Aldi as well.

‘Super Saver means that the item is on special. It makes it really easy to see what's on sale and things to look out for,’ she continued.

You may download this app by clicking here.

Ms Tan went on to share a money-saving grocery tip to keep in mind. Make sure to plan when you’re going to do a grocery run as the day and time you shop can make all the difference to your grocery bill.

‘Wednesday is generally when new specials are released at the major supermarkets, including Woolworths, Aldi and Coles. It's generally a day where they update those specials and re-stock.’

She revealed that the secret to more savings can be found late in the afternoon.

‘Woolworths has a bakery section and they bake all the loaves of bread fresh. Every day at 5 pm, they start slashing the prices of their bread.’

There you have it! You don’t have to be tech-savvy to use thrifty applications. Do you know of any other apps that can help save money? Let us know which one is your favourite in the comments!

Learn more grocery tips with Queenie by watching the video below:

Source: Invest With Queenie

Sponsored
I've got a good tip to help reduce expenses - stop spending. Its not usually the regular spending, grocery and the like, it's the cup of coffee out, the takeaway meals, the new top/shoes you can't live without etc, etc. I know a number of people who allow $50-$100 a week for incidentals and then wonder why they have no money and can't save. It's not rocket science.:rolleyes:

I've got a good tip to help reduce expenses - stop spending. Its not usually the regular spending, grocery and the like, it's the cup of coffee out, the takeaway meals, the new top/shoes you can't live without etc, etc. I know a number of people who allow $50-$100 a week for incidentals and then wonder why they have no money and can't save. It's not rocket science.:rolleyes:
So true! I was horrified during the first few months of the pandemic & working from home at the amount of money I was NOT spending..... the cups of coffee, eating out (usually because someone else wanted to, to make matters worse!) but all the 'wandering' through shops at lunchtime or after work was by far my worst extravagance! Hell, I 'saved' so much money in the first 18 months of the pandemic that I decided to retire early!! The pandemic has been an eye opener in more ways than one for me !!

Reactions: Ricci
Really? It's that simple? After the rent's paid, I'm left with $20-$22 per day for food and everything else! That's my 'fun fact' 😁
Yeah. One day people might learn that their fun facts/options do not actually apply to other people..... especially the young!

Reactions: Ricci