Get ready to turn your clocks back because the end of daylight saving is just around the corner!

As the seasons change and cooler weather approaches, Aussies nationwide are adjusting their routines around the upcoming schedule changes.

That’s right - this Sunday, April 2, at 3 am in NSW, VIC, ACT, TAS and SA, clocks go back by one hour, and we revert to Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) until the first Sunday of October.

While five of the eight Australian states and territories follow daylight saving, Queensland, Western Australia and the Northern Territory stick to the same time all year.

It’s a complex situation that has seen debate over whether the seasonal time changes are more of a help or a hindrance.

pexels-photo-6328859.jpeg

Many Australians are preparing to adjust their watches and clocks for the upcoming end of daylight saving. Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of daylight saving?

Prior to 1916, Tasmania was the first Australian state to adopt daylight saving. Since then, the issue has been trialled, reintroduced, removed and debated in different states across the country.

Those who are in support of daylight saving point to the potential educational, medical and economic advantages, plus the extra hour of daylight to enjoy after work.

However, there are plenty of opponents to this system. They cite various issues, from increased air conditioner use due to the hotter day times to the difficulty for farmers who need to rise before dawn to complete their shifts.

Back in October of 2019, Robbie Katter, the MP for the North Queensland electorate of Traeger, made it clear that he was not a fan of daylight saving.

In fact, he went so far as to say that implementing it would be a nightmare for those working in the region.
With temperatures often soaring above 40°C, adding an extra hour of work at the end of the day would be an ‘enormous burden’ on the liveability of the area.

'It’s hard enough already to entice people to live in remote areas of Queensland to fill roles in even our primary services,' he remarked.

Impacts of daylight saving on your sleep

Did you know that daylight saving can mess with your sleep? It turns out that changing our clocks by an hour can have a negative impact on our body clocks and circadian rhythms.

Professor Sean Cain, President of the Australasian Chronobiology Society, has spent years studying the effects of ‘circadian rhythms’ — the 24-hour day cycle to which our bodies, brains, and behaviours are accustomed — on our well-being.

He explains that our bodies are naturally programmed to function best on bright days and dark nights, and daylight saving can throw that balance off.

When we lose sleep due to the time change, it's like giving ourselves a case of jet lag.

That's why Cain and other researchers strongly oppose daylight saving, arguing that the benefits of living in standard time outweigh the advantages of switching back and forth.

He explained: ‘It is quite disruptive, and it leads to more accidents, trips to the emergency room for heart attacks, things like that.’

‘We can say that this is 7 o’clock, or that’s 7 o’clock, but our bodies don’t care. They try to follow the solar day.’

According to Cain, people who don't live in regions that follow daylight saving tend to live longer, be healthier, and be more productive.

While some may argue that the longer days and extra leisure time in summer are worth the health risks, Cain says they don't understand the science behind it all.

Key Takeaways

• Daylight saving is ending on April 2 for NSW, VIC, ACT, TAS, and SA, as clocks go back one hour.
  • The debate over daylight saving's benefits and drawbacks, including educational, medical, and economic advantages, versus increased air conditioner use and difficulties for farmers, continues to rage.
  • Professor Sean Cain, President of the Australasian Chronobiology Society, has conducted research showing that daylight saving can negatively impact sleep, circadian rhythms, and overall well-being.
  • According to Cain, people who live in regions without daylight saving tend to live longer, be healthier, and be more productive.

Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time.jpg
Credit: Seniors Discount Club

So, for our members who live in states where daylight saving is ending, why not take advantage of those cosy evenings and enjoy a little more rest? Don't forget to turn your clocks back and get ready to welcome the cooler months!

Also, we want to hear from you: Are you in favour or against daylight saving? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!

Note: A previous iteration incorrectly referred to 'daylight saving time' as 'daylight savings time'. This has now been corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I live in NSW and enjoy daylight saving. I remember after work I could come home , have dinner and still go for a walk while it's light.

I know alot of parents complained that it messed with their kids bedtime but I never had this problem and none of my married children have a problem with their kids.

Maybe for those states who have extremely hot weather then they can start work earlier and finish earlier.

My son is a builder and works in all kinds of weather. But he finds the hottest time between 11am and 4pm

Last edited:
As the seasons change and cooler weather approaches, Aussies nationwide are adjusting their routines around the upcoming schedule changes.

That’s right - this Sunday, April 2, at 3 am in NSW, VIC, ACT, TAS and SA, clocks go back by one hour, and we revert to Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) until the first Sunday of October.

While five of the eight Australian states and territories follow daylight savings, Queensland, Western Australia and the Northern Territory stick to the same time all year.

It’s a complex situation that has seen debate over whether the seasonal time changes are more of a help or a hindrance.

Many Australians are preparing to adjust their watches and clocks for the upcoming end of daylight savings. Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of daylight savings?

Prior to 1916, Tasmania was the first Australian state to adopt daylight saving. Since then, the issue has been trialled, reintroduced, removed and debated in different states across the country.

Those who are in support of daylight savings point to the potential educational, medical and economic advantages, plus the extra hour of daylight to enjoy after work.

However, there are plenty of opponents to this system. They cite various issues, from increased air conditioner use due to the hotter day times to the difficulty for farmers who need to rise before dawn to complete their shifts.

Back in October of 2019, Robbie Katter, the MP for the North Queensland electorate of Traeger, made it clear that he was not a fan of daylight savings.

In fact, he went so far as to say that implementing it would be a nightmare for those working in the region.
With temperatures often soaring above 40°C, adding an extra hour of work at the end of the day would be an ‘enormous burden’ on the liveability of the area.

'It’s hard enough already to entice people to live in remote areas of Queensland to fill roles in even our primary services,' he remarked.

Impacts of daylight savings on your sleep

Did you know that daylight savings can mess with your sleep? It turns out that changing our clocks by an hour can have a negative impact on our body clocks and circadian rhythms.

Professor Sean Cain, President of the Australasian Chronobiology Society, has spent years studying the effects of ‘circadian rhythms’ — the 24-hour day cycle to which our bodies, brains, and behaviours are accustomed — on our well-being.

He explains that our bodies are naturally programmed to function best on bright days and dark nights, and daylight saving can throw that balance off.

When we lose sleep due to the time change, it's like giving ourselves a case of jet lag.

That's why Cain and other researchers strongly oppose daylight saving, arguing that the benefits of living in standard time outweigh the advantages of switching back and forth.

He explained: ‘It is quite disruptive, and it leads to more accidents, trips to the emergency room for heart attacks, things like that.’

‘We can say that this is 7 o’clock, or that’s 7 o’clock, but our bodies don’t care. They try to follow the solar day.’

According to Cain, people who don't live in regions that follow daylight saving tend to live longer, be healthier, and be more productive.

While some may argue that the longer days and extra leisure time in summer are worth the health risks, Cain says they don't understand the science behind it all.

Key Takeaways

• Daylight savings is ending on April 2 for NSW, VIC, ACT, TAS, and SA, as clocks go back one hour.
  • The debate over daylight saving's benefits and drawbacks, including educational, medical, and economic advantages, versus increased air conditioner use and difficulties for farmers, continues to rage.
  • Professor Sean Cain, President of the Australasian Chronobiology Society, has conducted research showing that daylight saving can negatively impact sleep, circadian rhythms, and overall well-being.
  • According to Cain, people who live in regions without daylight saving tend to live longer, be healthier, and be more productive.

View attachment 16391

So, for our members who live in states where daylight savings is ending, why not take advantage of those cosy evenings and enjoy a little more rest? Don't forget to turn your clocks back and get ready to welcome the cooler months!

Also, we want to hear from you: Are you in favour or against daylight savings? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!
its not savings(thats money) its SAVING

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
its not savings(thats money) its SAVING
So is Saving .. does it really matter .

I think you will find 50 % say saving and 50% say savings depending on the conversation

Daylight-saving time (singular saving) is technically the correct version: the practice is saving daylight," the website says. "Still, daylight-savings time (with the plural savings) is so commonly used that it's become an accepted variant of daylight-saving time."so is OK to use

So is Saving .. does it really matter .

I think you will find 50 % say saving and 50% say savings depending on the conversation

Daylight-saving time (singular saving) is technically the correct version: the practice is saving daylight," the website says. "Still, daylight-savings time (with the plural savings) is so commonly used that it's become an accepted variant of daylight-saving time."so is OK to use
Yes it does matter. Because people are saying it wrongly doesn`t make it right.

Daylight saving time (often abbreviated to DST) is the correct form of the phrase. However, a lot of people say savings instead of saving. In casual speech, it’s generally fine to say either, but when you’re talking or writing in a more formal space, stick with daylight saving time.

A lot of people say somethink instead of something. Does that make it right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci

While five of the eight Australian states and territories follow daylight savings, Queensland, Western Australia and the Northern Territory stick to the same time all year.

Many Australians are preparing to adjust their watches and clocks for the upcoming end of daylight savings. Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of daylight savings?

Those who are in support of daylight savings point to the potential educational, medical and economic advantages, plus the extra hour of daylight to enjoy after work.

Back in October of 2019, Robbie Katter, the MP for the North Queensland electorate of Traeger, made it clear that he was not a fan of daylight savings.

Impacts of daylight savings on your sleep

Did you know that daylight savings can mess with your sleep? It turns out that changing our clocks by an hour can have a negative impact on our body clocks and circadian rhythms.

Key Takeaways

• Daylight savings is ending on April 2 for NSW, VIC, ACT, TAS, and SA, as clocks go back one hour.

View attachment 16391

So, for our members who live in states where daylight savings is ending, why not take advantage of those cosy evenings and enjoy a little more rest? Don't forget to turn your clocks back and get ready to welcome the cooler months!

Also, we want to hear from you: Are you in favour or against daylight savings? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!
Does this mean my curtains will stop fading now that that extra hour of sunlight is gone..... LOL

I like daylight saving, but it's all the talk and printed articles about it that I have a problem with. They all without exception talk of an extra hour which is so wrong. There is still only 24 hours in a day, that doesn't change. The people that are against it often cite temperatures as a negative for saving - do they not realise the temperatures would still happen, just an hour differently. Does it really matter if the hottest temperature is at 1pm or 2pm, it's still going to be hot! ;) :rolleyes:

Why is this stupid discussion still going on? It never ceased to astound me that the loudest opponents were people that were not really affected by daylight savings, such as pensioners that had to line up outside their bank on pension day to collect their pension in cash. Then there were the claims that farmers having to get up an hour earlier - my ex husband was a farmer when we met, the time shown on the clock had little relevance to his work day.

As for mothers complaining they can't get their children to go to sleep, that's absolute nonsense! I grew up in Austria, where it was daylight until around 8 pm in summer before daylight savings was brought in. As children we were in bed by 7 pm. When I lived in London for a year, I remember leaving cinemas at 10 pm and it was still daylight and how do mothers in Sweden, Scotland, Alaska cope with 24 hours daylight in summer?

I found it extremely annoying when I lived in WA between 1974 and 1994 that WA didn't adopt daylight saving. Whenever there was a "trial" it meant I would be able to bundle the kids into the car and head off to the beach after work before facing the heat of an non-air conditioned house!

Daylight saving time (often abbreviated to DST) is the correct form of the phrase. However, a lot of people say savings instead of saving. In casual speech, it’s generally fine to say either, but when you’re talking or writing in a more formal space, stick with daylight saving time.

I have never heard or read people using somethink instead of something 🤔

I say Daylight Saving time but still think saying Daylight savings is OK as long as you don't add time on the end.

Let's hope the grammar gremlin doesn't see your post .

' you aren`t putting it in a bank! '

Last edited:

Oh, get a life.

I don't blame southern parts of Australia having day light saving. I've been to Victoria, South Australia and NSW in summer. I've been to England and parts of Europe, with their twilight evening summer. England and Europe's summer can't be compared to our humid summer in Qld, as I was wearing my winter clothes in their summer.

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
I love it and wish that they would just leave the Daylight Savings time as is forever, like 365 days a year and just force Queensland & Tassie to follow suit. It will just be the new time line and will end up not even being Day Light Savings. Just our new time zone.

We will have more daylight and people that work and finish work around 5.00pm will be home when it's not pitch black. Sunny Side Up everyone.

1680076001037.png

I love it and wish that they would just leave the Daylight Savings time as is forever, like 365 days a year and just force Queensland & Tassie to follow suit. It will just be the new time line and will end up not even being Day Light Savings. Just our new time zone.

We will have more daylight and people that work and finish work around 5.00pm will be home when it's not pitch black. Sunny Side Up everyone.

View attachment 16467
Tasmania has daylight saving. Queensland, Northern Territory and Western Australia don't.

I love Daylight Saving as it gives me an additional hour after coming home from work to go for a walk. But some people obviously don't like it. So be it. To each their own.

I like daylight saving, but it's all the talk and printed articles about it that I have a problem with. They all without exception talk of an extra hour which is so wrong. There is still only 24 hours in a day, that doesn't change. The people that are against it often cite temperatures as a negative for saving - do they not realise the temperatures would still happen, just an hour differently. Does it really matter if the hottest temperature is at 1pm or 2pm, it's still going to be hot! ;) :rolleyes:
Exactly what I was thinking!