Shaira

Sep 25, 2023
Get ready to see King Charles coins roll out by the end of 2023

A year ago, after the death of Queen Elizabeth II, her son, King Charles III, ascended to the throne.

The world buzzed with curiosity. Could he capture hearts like his mother did? What fresh winds might he bring to the monarchy?

And of course, the burning question: When will we see his face jingling in our pockets? Read on for the latest scoop on the royal coin switch…

Assistant Treasurer Andrew Leigh mentioned on ABC radio yesterday that while there wasn't a ‘particular date’ set for the circulation of coins featuring Charles' likeness, they would be released before 2023 ends.

306547180_5882348628464715_8488346777692029958_n.png
2018 UK Royal Mint coin celebrating Prince Charles's 70th birthday. Image source: Social media (@abcperth)

‘I'm keen to make sure we get a lot of those new coins out because I know for the vast majority of Australians, this will be the first time they hold a coin in their hand which has a King rather than a Queen on it,’ he commented.

‘So it could be a big moment.’

On the new coins, Charles will be facing the ‘left’ and not the ‘right’ like the late Queen.

Since the time of the late King Charles II, each new king or queen on a coin looks the opposite way from the one before.

It's a symbolic way of marking the succession and the continuation of the monarchy.

Leigh said setting up the new dies at the Mint follows a ‘stringent’ process, but nothing out of the ordinary.

‘We have actually had half a dozen different effigies of Queen Elizabeth II during the course of her reign, so to change an effigy isn't as big a thing as you might imagine,’ he explained.

However, the dies need proper testing since each has to last for up to 300,000 coin makings.

‘You can be confident that it will take place before the end of the year, and we'll have a big announcement on that,’ he stated.

Meanwhile, coins carrying Elizabeth II's image will continue to be recognised as legal tender.

australian-coins-4952628_1280.jpg
Since 1966, over 15 billion coins have been produced bearing the face of Queen Elizabeth II. Image source: Pixabay

Queen Elizabeth II’s legacy on Australian currency

Queen Elizabeth II has a special place in Australia's money history.

Since 1966, when Australia began using dollars and cents, her face has been the only royal one on the coins and notes. This change to decimal currency happened on Valentine's Day in 1966.

Before this, Australia used a different system of money, and Elizabeth became queen in 1953, well before this switch.

Key Takeaways

• Coins featuring the effigy of King Charles III will begin circulating in Australia by the end of 2023.
  • Assistant Treasurer Andrew Leigh has said that this will be the first time for many Australians to hold a coin featuring a King instead of a Queen.
  • Charles will be facing the opposite direction to Elizabeth on the new coins, looking left instead of right.
  • Coins with Queen Elizabeth II's effigy will remain legal tender.
Members, are you excited about the upcoming King Charles III coins in 2023? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

I really do not see the fascination with the royals on the currency
they are nothing to us.
I will never acknowledge Charlie as my king...
not to mention he has no right to ascend to the throne anyway..... he forfeited his right to be next in line.
Totally agree. The sooner we have a referendum on the republic the better.

Reactions: Joyem
We got at our independence back in 1919 after the war..
which believe it or not had a 50year secrecy act on it .

You may remember there was a referendum quite a few years back to become a republic
but the people voted against it.
this shot a hole in their attempt to disclose that we are and have been independent for many many years.

I really do not see the fascination with the royals on the currency
they are nothing to us.
I will never acknowledge Charlie as my king...
not to mention he has no right to ascend to the throne anyway..... he forfeited his right to be next in line.
Red, For the benefit of the rest of us who do not possess your ready-wit and perception. Can you please explain just why
"he has no right to ascend to the throne anyway..... he forfeited his right to be next in line."
If everyone who had a "bit on the side" forfeited their birthright, the place would be over run with bachelors living in cardboard boxes.
Or, perhaps you are a 'religious maniac' or a "Holier than thou "liberal ???

Reactions: havingadoggyday

A year ago, after the death of Queen Elizabeth II, her son, King Charles III, ascended to the throne.

The world buzzed with curiosity. Could he capture hearts like his mother did? What fresh winds might he bring to the monarchy?

And of course, the burning question: When will we see his face jingling in our pockets? Read on for the latest scoop on the royal coin switch…

Assistant Treasurer Andrew Leigh mentioned on ABC radio yesterday that while there wasn't a ‘particular date’ set for the circulation of coins featuring Charles' likeness, they would be released before 2023 ends.

View attachment 30986
2018 UK Royal Mint coin celebrating Prince Charles's 70th birthday. Image source: Social media (@abcperth)

‘I'm keen to make sure we get a lot of those new coins out because I know for the vast majority of Australians, this will be the first time they hold a coin in their hand which has a King rather than a Queen on it,’ he commented.

On the new coins, Charles will be facing the ‘left’ and not the ‘right’ like the late Queen.

Since the time of the late King Charles II, each new king or queen on a coin looks the opposite way from the one before.

It's a symbolic way of marking the succession and the continuation of the monarchy.

Leigh said setting up the new dies at the Mint follows a ‘stringent’ process, but nothing out of the ordinary.

‘We have actually had half a dozen different effigies of Queen Elizabeth II during the course of her reign, so to change an effigy isn't as big a thing as you might imagine,’ he explained.

However, the dies need proper testing since each has to last for up to 300,000 coin makings.

‘You can be confident that it will take place before the end of the year, and we'll have a big announcement on that,’ he stated.

Meanwhile, coins carrying Elizabeth II's image will continue to be recognised as legal tender.

View attachment 30987
Since 1966, over 15 billion coins have been produced bearing the face of Queen Elizabeth II. Image source: Pixabay

Since 1966, when Australia began using dollars and cents, her face has been the only royal one on the coins and notes. This change to decimal currency happened on Valentine's Day in 1966.

Before this, Australia used a different system of money, and Elizabeth became queen in 1953, well before this switch.

Key Takeaways

• Coins featuring the effigy of King Charles III will begin circulating in Australia by the end of 2023.
  • Assistant Treasurer Andrew Leigh has said that this will be the first time for many Australians to hold a coin featuring a King instead of a Queen.
  • Charles will be facing the opposite direction to Elizabeth on the new coins, looking left instead of right.
Members, are you excited about the upcoming King Charles III coins in 2023? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Why bother changing the currency...... its a relic of days gone by with the "digit less "currency... more money wasted by the government.

Reactions: Docit
We got at our independence back in 1919 after the war..
which believe it or not had a 50year secrecy act on it .

You may remember there was a referendum quite a few years back to become a republic
but the people voted against it.
this shot a hole in their attempt to disclose that we are and have been independent for many many years.
I'm sure a lot of us remember Howard's referendum with its carefully constructed questions constructed to mislead and deliver the result his side wanted. Perhaps we might have a less biased referendum the next time.

Reactions: IAN3005
I'm sure a lot of us remember Howard's referendum with its carefully constructed questions constructed to mislead and deliver the result his side wanted. Perhaps we might have a less biased referendum the next time.
In your dreams... crooked and corrupt the lot of them.

Exactly - WHEN?? Have I missed the announcement of this forfeiture, Red101au?

William has also married a 'commoner, the term you have used. Does that mean he has also forfeited his rights? So what, marry someone you can live the rest of your life with.

Wake up to yourself; if you were, are or have ever been married I hope you did not experience flak from your parents on your choice of spouse, like you are showing here. Everyone, royal or commoner is entitled to their choice of spouse. Imagine having to choose someone just because of 'rules and regulations' brought in by long dead and gone systems and others. What a life to lead, for the rest of your life!

Exactly - WHEN?? Have I missed the announcement of this forfeiture, Red101au?

William has also married a çommoner, the term you have used. Does that mean he has also forfeited his right? So what?

Wake up to yourself; if you were, are or have ever been married I hope you did not experience flak from your parents on your choice of spouse, like you are showing here. Everyone, royal or commoner is entitled to their choice of spouse. Imagine having to choose someone just because of 'rules and regulations' brought in by long dead and gone systems and others. What a life to lead, for the rest of your life!
You mean like appointing a countries king on the basis of some 'long dead and gone systems'. Totally agree.

View attachment 30986

View attachment 30987

Key Takeaways

I am one of those people who think it really isn't a cause of excitement one way or another. It is what it is. Times change,
so as a matter of choice we do too.