Genius or bizarre? This is the unusual hack that mums are using to clean their bathroom sinks

If you’ve ever tried to tackle frustrating rust or a stubborn stain in the bathroom, then you know the feeling of wanting to throw in the cleaning towel all too well.

Luckily, some proactive cleaning mums shared an incredibly unlikely solution that gets rid of tough stains without loads of scrubbing or the use of harsh chemicals.

Aussie mums have been going wild over an ‘unusual cleaning hack’ that involves the use of a pantry staple.

The secret ingredient? Tomato sauce.

While this isn’t exactly a new hack (we’ve written about this a while back. You can find that article here), many are still raving about this ‘amazing’ cleaning product!

Sharing on a popular Facebook group, Aussies have uploaded their before and after photos on social media, showing just how well the condiment can remove rust, calcium build-up, and black scum!

tomatosauce (1).jpg
Tomato sauce can remove tough stains apparently. Credit: Dominika Roseclay/Pexels

‘Whoever came up with the tomato sauce tap hack, you’re a genius!’ Commented one.

Someone else shared that they have ‘tried everything and nothing worked’. ‘No scrubbing, no effort. I’m blown away,’ they added.

Others were keen to try the hack for themselves, but most were unsure of how to give it a go.

One mum explained the technique to others: ‘I just put it all around the base, left it overnight, and rinsed it off and cleaned as normal. It was perfect.’

tomatosauce2.jpg
The before and after photos of using tomato sauce as a cleaning ingredient. Credit: Facebook

‘Who thinks of these cleaning ideas? Tomato sauce, I’ll be damned!’ Shared one.

Another wrote: ‘I’ll try this too! Thank you! Been looking for a way to clean around the back of the tap for so long!’

But what makes tomato sauce a ‘good’ cleaning ingredient? The simple answer is that tomato sauce contains acetic acid that attacks copper oxide otherwise known as the rust found in metal surfaces. Vinegar works the same way as well.

However, both aren’t disinfectants so they can’t remove germs from surfaces. Not to mention, tomato sauce has sugar so it might attract insects or other pests. If you’re trying out this method, make sure to clean the area with a cleaning solution afterwards.

If pouring condiments all over your bathroom sinks isn’t appealing, you can always try natural home solutions! Bicarbonate of soda, for instance, is a natural abrasive that can dissolve grease and grime without damaging surfaces. It can also be used to deodorise sinks and bathtubs, as baking powder and baking soda can also be effective at absorbing bad odours.

For a good cleaning solution, you can mix together ¼ cup of white vinegar, ¼ bi-carb of soda, a squeeze of any brand of liquid soap, and 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Give it a good shake before spritzing it on tough stains, and then wiping or drying the area thoroughly.
Key Takeaways

• Aussie mums are using an unlikely cleaning hack using tomato sauce to get rid of stubborn stains around bathroom taps and sinkholes.
  • The acetic acid in the tomato sauce helps break down dirt and build up.
  • Simply squirt the tomato sauce around the areas and leave it overnight before giving it a gentle wipe or scrub, then rinse away the sauce and any scum.
If you try it and get great results, be sure to let us know in the comments! We'd love to hear your stories.

Sponsored
I have a great hack for cleaning Tupperware that has had either greasy or saucey food in it.
CLEANING SAUCE OF TUPPERWARE

3/4 fill the container using 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 warm water add 1 or 2 sheets of white paper towel ripped into 3 . Close securely and shake for 45 seconds as vigorously as you can . Empty and you will be amazed.

Clean with detergent to get rid of vinegar smell

If you’ve ever tried to tackle frustrating rust or a stubborn stain in the bathroom, then you know the feeling of wanting to throw in the cleaning towel all too well.

Luckily, some proactive cleaning mums shared an incredibly unlikely solution that gets rid of tough stains without loads of scrubbing or the use of harsh chemicals.

Aussie mums have been going wild over an ‘unusual cleaning hack’ that involves the use of a pantry staple.

While this isn’t exactly a new hack (we’ve written about this a while back. You can find that article here), many are still raving about this ‘amazing’ cleaning product!

Sharing on a popular Facebook group, Aussies have uploaded their before and after photos on social media, showing just how well the condiment can remove rust, calcium build-up, and black scum!

View attachment 11443
Tomato sauce can remove tough stains apparently. Credit: Dominika Roseclay/Pexels

‘Whoever came up with the tomato sauce tap hack, you’re a genius!’ Commented one.

Someone else shared that they have ‘tried everything and nothing worked’. ‘No scrubbing, no effort. I’m blown away,’ they added.

Others were keen to try the hack for themselves, but most were unsure of how to give it a go.

One mum explained the technique to others: ‘I just put it all around the base, left it overnight, and rinsed it off and cleaned as normal. It was perfect.’

View attachment 11444
The before and after photos of using tomato sauce as a cleaning ingredient. Credit: Facebook

Another wrote: ‘I’ll try this too! Thank you! Been looking for a way to clean around the back of the tap for so long!’

But what makes tomato sauce a ‘good’ cleaning ingredient? The simple answer is that tomato sauce contains acetic acid that attacks copper oxide otherwise known as the rust found in metal surfaces. Vinegar works the same way as well.

However, both aren’t disinfectants so they can’t remove germs from surfaces. Not to mention, tomato sauce has sugar so it might attract insects or other pests. If you’re trying out this method, make sure to clean the area with a cleaning solution afterwards.

If pouring condiments all over your bathroom sinks isn’t appealing, you can always try natural home solutions! Bicarbonate of soda, for instance, is a natural abrasive that can dissolve grease and grime without damaging surfaces. It can also be used to deodorise sinks and bathtubs, as baking powder and baking soda can also be effective at absorbing bad odours.

For a good cleaning solution, you can mix together ¼ cup of white vinegar, ¼ bi-carb of soda, a squeeze of any brand of liquid soap, and 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Give it a good shake before spritzing it on tough stains, and then wiping or drying the area thoroughly.
Key Takeaways

• Aussie mums are using an unlikely cleaning hack using tomato sauce to get rid of stubborn stains around bathroom taps and sinkholes.
  • Simply squirt the tomato sauce around the areas and leave it overnight before giving it a gentle wipe or scrub, then rinse away the sauce and any scum.
If you try it and get great results, be sure to let us know in the comments! We'd love to hear your stories.
Fine for some using these different hacks for cleaning, I use just one item called KOH, available on line it does wonders on the oven door and racks, cleans mirrors etc. I have just purchased a surface cleaner, which is great on any surface including kettles.

Fine for some using these different hacks for cleaning, I use just one item called KOH, available on line it does wonders on the oven door and racks, cleans mirrors etc. I have just purchased a surface cleaner, which is great on any surface including kettles.
I use this too for a lot of cleaning jobs. Awesome product!

View attachment 11443

View attachment 11444

Key Takeaways

Try soy sauce on your tile grout. You will be amazed.

Thanks for the tip ♥

Reactions: Macarj
All these products made for specific jobs just line the makers pockets. Vinegar,lemon juice and water. Cheap and work.

Reactions: Macarj
I have a great hack for cleaning Tupperware that has had either greasy or saucey food in it.

3/4 fill the container using 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 warm water add 1 or 2 sheets of white paper towel ripped into 3 . Close securely and shake for 45 seconds as vigorously as you can . Empty and you will be amazed.

Thank you will try that to clean my microwave containers, most are badly stained and just look horrible

I always use vinegar and bi-carb and dishwashing liquid. But now am confused because another article on a different top in these articles, I cannot find the article now, says vinegar neutralises bicarb. So can someone please tell me which is the correct way, please?