'Genius' car park feature divides Aussie drivers: 'Absolutely elite parking experience here!'

In the quest to make parking a more pleasant experience, a shopping centre in Tasmania has rolled out a car park feature that has sparked a debate among Aussie drivers.

The innovative feature, which involves double-lined parking bays, has been hailed as 'genius' by some, while others have slammed it as an unnecessary complication.

The double-lined parking bays at Glebe Hill shopping centre were designed to allow a car door to be fully opened without hitting the adjacent vehicle.

This simple yet effective solution has been welcomed by many drivers who have long feared the dreaded 'door ding' while out shopping.

SDC 6.png
A shopping centre in Tasmania has implemented a car park feature that aims to give enough space between two cars. Image source: Facebook.

A shopper named Shane shared images of the new parking bays on social media, praising the initiative.

'All car parks should adopt this method for line markings. It uses double lines approximately 600m (two feet) apart,' they said.

'It gives you a level of confidence when parking here that it is fairly unlikely that you will get a ding in your door whilst shopping.'

Shane also noted that the number of 'parking fails' has significantly decreased since the introduction of the double lines, suggesting that they encourage more accurate parking.

'Supermarket car parks are renowned for a high degree of car damage but not so here,' he added.

'I realise that it doesn't absolutely guarantee that damage won't occur, but it is most likely 95 per cent effective.'

The national dimension requirements for parking spaces in Australia, as dictated by Standards Australia, are 2.4m by 5.4m.

However, these dimensions can often feel too tight for drivers with larger vehicles or family cars.

The double lines at Glebe Hill have been praised for providing a more comfortable parking experience for these drivers.

'Absolutely elite parking experience here, there's no denying it,' one driver commented.

'It’s a well laid out car park,' another wrote.

While one mum said: 'Makes it easier putting kids in the car too!'

20240202_103655_0000.png
Not everyone was impressed with the new car park feature. Image source: Facebook.

Despite the positive feedback, not everyone is impressed with the double-lined parking bays.

Some drivers argue that the new feature makes parking even more challenging.

'There are thousands of people who can't park in a 2.5m wide space, what chance do they have fitting in a 2m space?' one driver questioned.

'Coles Kensington, in Bundaberg, has the lines done like this. Still doesn't help people who don't know how to park,' another wrote.

Others pointed out that the double lines don't prevent inconsiderate drivers from taking up two spaces.

'There is parking at Merrifield shopping centre in Victoria, but there's always some i***t that parks over the next car park line, taking up two spaces,' one driver shared.
Key Takeaways
  • Glebe Hill shopping centre in Tasmania has introduced parking spots with double lines, providing a gap that allows car doors to open fully without hitting adjacent vehicles.
  • Many Australian drivers have praised the innovative parking bay design for reducing the likelihood of door dings and encouraging better parking behaviour.
  • Some commenters have criticised the feature, arguing it does not help those who struggle with parking accuracy or may encourage poor parking in other bays.
  • Despite the divided opinion, the double-lined parking bays have been called an 'elite parking experience' by some, offering extra protection for cars and making it easier to manage tasks like placing children in car seats.
What's your take on the double-lined parking bays, members? Do you think they're a 'genius' solution or an unnecessary complication? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Well I can drive alright, but would be rated 5/10 for my drive in parking👎.
Back in parking👍.
Reverse parallel👍.
😛
I’m “reverse” challenged when parking but I’m on the spot correctly by the second attempt. I noticed the double line thing in parking areas in some shopping centres around Perth (WA) & thought that it was a wonderful idea. Hope more car parks here in Tasmania start doing this as we have some truly dreadful drivers who simply don’t bother to park properly. After all why slow down in a car park when you can go flat out & get into shops sooner? Leaves me feeling rather exasperated.

Ppeople who have difficulty parking in these marked parks will have trouble regardless. They need to go get parking lesson. They won't because that us how they are, don't pay attention or simply don't care. I like them we have a few of this style of marked car parks in Queensland.

Would be a good idea as some parking spots are so narrow it it hard to fit a car so doors on both sides can be opened wide enough for older people and mothers with kids to exit and enter the car. There are never enough disabled and seniors car parks available. Some of these are not wide enough either when they have been turned from a regular car park into a disabled or seniors car park. Now I need to be able to open my door right out to get in and out of the car if there are no wide disabled or seniors parking spots I am quite happy to park over two spots. I try to park in an area where there are not too many cars when I do this, but if I can’t I just park wherever there are two empty spots. I mostly shop in a large country town so this doesn’t usually cause too many issues, our car parks aren’t packed to the hilt like in the bigger towns and cities.

Reactions: Abby2 and IAN3005
They have been here in Perth WA for a long time now at a lot of shopping centres and they are great but like everything else in life they are only as good as the user. You cannot legislate for idiots and unfortunately there are more and more of them on the roads these days who should never have got their licence or for all we know are driving without a licence. And there are also alot of selfish drivers and again there is nothing you can do about them. Each of us just have to do the best we can doing the right thing and hope we remain the majority. When you listen to the news sometimes you do have to wonder!

Great idea. The complainers are whingeing for the sake of whingeing. Their complaints are more about poor and/ or selfish drivers which is not the fault of the car park layout.

Reactions: PattiB
In actual fact the Parking Bays are narrower. The single white line would normally be down the middle between the 2 white lines. Drivers are now required to park straighter in a narrower space & not doing so is going to be more evident.

All too often some drivers drive swiftly in a bay on an exaggerated angle & do not bother straightening up. With this system such bad habits will not be possible because they would be half - way into the double space on both sides.

Reactions: Ingot