G'day groceries: Expat's hilarious journey through Aussie supermarkets leaves internet in stitches!

As the world becomes more connected, it's always a delight to see how people react to the differences in everyday life when they step outside their home country.

This was certainly the case for Tiffany, a Californian woman who recently visited an Australian supermarket for the first time and found herself both bewildered and amused by the array of products.

Her experience at Woolworths was a cultural eye-opener, and her reactions have tickled the fancy of many. From the biscuit aisle to the dairy section, her journey through the store was a series of surprises and revelations.

Upon encountering the biscuit aisle, Tiffany was taken aback by the variety of TimTams available as there were six of them.

In the US, TimTams are a rare find, and there's usually only one type to choose from; however, in Australia, the beloved chocolate biscuit comes in an array of flavours, including original, white chocolate, and chewy caramel.

‘I’ve only ever seen one,’ she remarked after being caught off-guard by the diversity of Vegemite options.

‘They also have gluten-free and less salt.’

photo (5).jpg
An American woman shared her amusing reactions on social media, highlighting the differences between Australian supermarkets and American stores. Credits: Tiktok / @tiffanytchen

However, it wasn't just the spreads and sweets that left Tiffany in a state of shock.

The absence of kangaroo meat, a stereotype many Americans might expect to find in Australian supermarkets, was also noted by her.

And the eggs! In the US, eggs are typically refrigerated, but in Australia, it’s different.

‘They’re just sitting here on a shelf. What?’ she exclaimed.

The surprises continued as Tiffany discovered Nando's sauces and marinades, a nod to Australia's British colonial history, and the presence of unfamiliar snack brands like Twisties, Smith's, and Cheezels.

Even the mac and cheese, a staple comfort food in the US, was different—Kraft's Easy Mac looked less than appetising to our American visitor, saying it was the first time she’s seen mac and cheese she ‘didn’t want to eat’.

Tiffany's commentary on the size of Australian avocados and bananas—with the latter being the ‘biggest she'd ever seen’—and her confusion over the term ‘capsicum’ for bell peppers, added to the charm of her supermarket adventure.

Aussies, known for their laid-back humour, were quick to chime in with comments that playfully reminded Tiffany that she was indeed not in America anymore.

‘It’s as if you’re not in America,’ one commenter humorously remarked.

Some individuals clarified that eggs in Australia do not require refrigeration because the salmonella bacteria, which can infect eggs while they are inside the bird, is absent in Australian eggs.

‘Who’s going to tell them there’s more than six TimTam flavours,’ another teased.

A third defended the Aussie mac and cheese, assuring, ‘Trust me that is the best mac and cheese you’ll ever eat.’

You can watch Tiffany’s full video here:

Source: Tiktok / @tiffanytchen

From bewildering encounters in Australian supermarkets to the quirky oddities that define life Down Under, expats often find themselves navigating a world of unique experiences.

Tiffany’s recent experience sheds light on the cultural differences that can leave newcomers scratching their heads.

This humorous anecdote is just one example of the amusing adjustments expats make when immersing themselves in Australian life.

Delving deeper into the expat experience, one can uncover a treasure trove of delightful peculiarities that add charm and character to everyday living in Australia.
Key Takeaways

• A woman from the US shared her amusing reactions to Australian supermarkets on social media, noting differences from American stores.
  • She was particularly amazed by the range of TimTam flavours, the variety of Vegemite options, and the non-refrigerated eggs.
  • She was also surprised by the lack of kangaroo meat, the presence of Nando's sauces, and unfamiliar snacks like Twisties and Cheezels.
  • Australians responded to her observations with humour and explained some of the differences, like why eggs aren't refrigerated in Australia.
Have you had similar experiences while travelling abroad? Were any products or practices left you scratching your head or laughing out loud? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Americans in general are very perochial and don't know much detail about the day to day generalities of other countries. I was not surprised very often in USA supermarkets..yes there were differences and other USA specific products, but I was generally aware of them. I knew footpath was pavement, bell peppers, soda, candy, cilantro, tri-tip steak, etc etc.

Just picked up my dozen eggs - and yes had to go to the refrigerated section. Obviously not in Coles or Woolworths in the big smoke

Supermarket Mac n cheese is crap in Australia. She was right
Cheddar cheddar and cheddar. That's the be all and end all of the Australian cheese industry. Can't get a decent Wensleydale anywhere!

Go to any other country and most groceries will be called by another name or the country will have different items and different ‘everything’. If we all didn’t have different names and products we might all be AMERICANS & every country would be called America! God forbid. Another one got her 5 minutes of tik tok fame! Lol

Reactions: Jennie and Rob44
I took many photos to prove to Aussies, food was much cheaper in England than here. Buying a home brand Morrisons gravy granules rather than the epic Bisto, well, I love this gravy, so yummy, and glad I bought the 1/2 kilo box. I love Lidl supermarket over there, and Morrisons.

Foods might be cheaper or more expensive in other countries but we need to factor in exchange rates, population, where products come from and a heap of other factors. We cannot compare unless it is genuinely ‘apples for apples’ in all instances.

Only unhealthy if you eat it EVERYDAY, not as a one off, perhaps once or twice a month. Cheese, in moderation, is not unhealthy, it is in fact quite healthy but in moderation also as is the pasta with its high carb rate.

Talking about embarrassing confusion, when I first arrived in Australia as a young 21-year-old in 1972 I was dealing with the slight differences in descriptions of both supermarket products and general day-to-day items. I was in a pretty good office job (as an Engineer) and was being very well looked after by my employers. One day the very cute little office girl that I absolutely loved came into my office and asked me if I needed Durex! Wow, I knew Aussies were very forward but this was an absolute revelation. I did not really know what to say but agreed that I would have some. She went away and that was that. Left me to my shock and wonder. Then a workmate came in and I asked what was the reason for us being supplied prophilactics? When he looked at me blankly I told him what had happened. He could not see what the issue was until I told him that Durex which was the biggest selling french letter in Europe. not sticky tape as it was here.

Love this post! And eggs definitely don't need to in the fridge. Kitchen cupboard is fine. That was how they were stored when I was growing up, and I do it myself. Thanks to my Grandma 👵 ❤️

Reactions: Jo Piper3
I have never bought mac and cheese so don't know what the fuss is about? Is it pasta with cheese?
I have never heard of mac and cheese. My guess is that it is reprocessed processed cheese with something sweet and revolting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jo Piper3
Only unhealthy if you eat it EVERYDAY, not as a one off, perhaps once or twice a month. Cheese, in moderation, is not unhealthy, it is in fact quite healthy but in moderation also as is the pasta with its high carb rate.
Alas , in Australia one can't even pretend to eat Wensleydale cheese in moderation; nor Caerphilly and a few other quite normal Pomgolian cheeses of considerable excellence. Why is Australia so hooked on that alternative to laundry soap, Cheddar cheese? As for eating a good Pomgolian cheese in moderation, there is no such thing as moderation.....................it's good tucker. Crusty bread, butter, Wensleydale cheese and a pint of John Taddy's Bitter Ale and that is a reet healthy diet.

I took many photos to prove to Aussies, food was much cheaper in England than here. Buying a home brand Morrisons gravy granules rather than the epic Bisto, well, I love this gravy, so yummy, and glad I bought the 1/2 kilo box. I love Lidl supermarket over there, and Morrisons.
Lidl nearly came over here but pulled out for some reason?

Lidl nearly came over here but pulled out for some reason?
I never knew that, oh dear, maybe Aldi got in first. I couldn’t get over the price of Ibroprufen? tablets, 30p for 16, but you can only buy 2 packets at a time. I wanted to buy a large box for that price!