Garlic & Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry

Garlic & Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry

shutterstock_1994153252.jpg

Credits: Shutterstock
I've been a stir fry fan(atic) for quite some time now. It's an incredibly easy way to make a healthy, flavourful, and filling meal. And the best part is that you can really put anything you want in it. I typically use whatever veggies I have on hand (or what's currently on special), but chicken is always a staple. This time around, I decided to spice things up a bit with some garlic and ginger.

The result was an incredibly fragrant and delicious dish that came together in no time at all. I served it over some brown rice, but it would be just as good with white rice or even noodles. If you're not a fan of chicken, you could easily substitute lamb, beef, tofu, or prawns. So if you're in the mood for a quick and easy meal, give this stir fry a try.

Ingredients:

- 500 grams boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 green capsicum, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced

Instructions:

1. Heat a small amount of the oil in a large wok or frying pan over high heat.

2. The key to good stir fry at home is to cook your vegetables first, each by themselves in the wok over very, very high heat and with minimal oil while stirring pretty frequently. Onions by themselves, and then into a prep bowl, then your capsicums and so on. You want really nice, intense colour on them, but without flat-out burning them. Minimal oil is key to keeping your veg crispy and lively, as opposed to flaccid and lifeless. Don't cook them to death, make sure they still have a bit of tooth.

3. Take everything out of the wok and into a prep bowl, and now it's time to work on the chicken.

4. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and then add it to the wok. Cook the chicken until it's browned all over and cooked through - it's okay to put a little more oil in at this stage.

5. Once the chicken is cooked, add the garlic and ginger and cook for a minute until fragrant.

6. Add the capsicum, onion, soy sauce, chicken broth, honey, cornstarch, and black pepper to the wok and cook for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are cooked to your liking.

7. Serve over rice or noodles and top with thinly sliced spring onions.​

What do you think of this recipe? Let us know in the comments section below.

Reactions: pymmie and MIZMAC
Sponsored