Furious Aussie shoppers call for ban: Discover what tiny detail is causing the uproar!

Ah, Maxibons. Many SDC members may fondly remember eating these ice cream treats on a hot summer day, over a chit-chat with friends at the local park or a family barbecue. The iconic ice cream sandwich was first introduced in Australia in 2000, becoming an instant hit with its innovative combination of divine chocolate biscuit coating coupled with creamy ice cream filling.

Well, it seems that many Australian shoppers are no longer impressed. The tricky detail that has caused this sudden uproar of frustration? It's all about the size!

In a recent Reddit post, an Aussie shopper shared a photo depicting the disappointing truth about Maxibons. The image showcases two four-packs of Maxibons side by side with a price tag of $9.50 each. However, the obvious difference lies in the size of the products–the older box offers a 620ml portion, whereas the newer one has shrunk to a mere 560ml.

photo (7) (1).jpg
Maxibons are the latest shrinkflation victim. Image Credit: Reddit

This revelation has left quite a bitter taste in our fellow countrymen's mouths, with many flocking to the comments section to express their disdain for such 'shrinkflation'. One Reddit user aptly pointed out the significant decrease in size as they went from a 155g to 140g bar, calling it a 'decent chunk off'.

Maxibons aren't the only products in the Australian market to have been affected by shrinkflation. Others, such as Tim Tams, Cadbury blocks, Pringles, and even some bread brands, have also succumbed to this sneaky strategy. It's frustrating as consumers to notice that we are getting less for the same or even higher price.

One commenter amusingly put it into perspective: 'I love that they advertise shrinkflation with these “NEW” tags now', while another went as far as to say that 'this s*** should be illegal. For both the manufacturer and the retailer. Shrinkflation is a scourge.'

Some even vowed to boycott Maxibons entirely, with one shopper saying, 'Noted, I'm not buying Maxibons again if they are 560ml. Pringles did this to me, and I have not had one since.'

Hold your ice cream, though; one user managed to find a silver lining to balance the conversation, joking: 'Same price - fewer calories!'

For those not in the know, 'shrinkflation' is the term used to describe the phenomenon of products decreasing in size while maintaining (or sometimes even increasing) their original prices. This sneaky tactic isn't exclusive to Maxibons, with countless Aussies voicing their frustrations over shrinking grocery items.

So how can you, dear SDC members, avoid falling prey to shrinkflation? We've got a few tips for you.

First, stay aware of packaging changes, as companies often use this as a disguise for size reductions.

Second, compare unit prices when shopping, as this will give you a better idea of the actual value you're getting.

Lastly, stay informed about changes in the market, so you can make educated decisions about which brands to support.

Maxibon addressed their change in sizing earlier this year, citing 'tough times' as the reason for their unfortunate downsize. They took to Instagram to share: 'It’s not news you’ll want to cop, but we had to let you know first. Tough times mean tough changes. And because of that, we’ve had to make the call to downsize our Maxibon a touch.'

They assured customers that although the size had been reduced, the iconic taste would remain unaltered. The statement was accompanied by a creative graphic with terms such as 'MaxiCon', 'MaxiFlation', and 'ShrinkBon’.

Key Takeaways
  • Maxibon ice cream sandwiches have shrunk in size but not in price, causing disappointment among Australian shoppers.
  • The new packaging of Maxibons shows a size drop from 620ml to 560ml but it still costs $9.50 for a four-pack.
  • Aussie shoppers took to social media to express their dissatisfaction and many have decided not to buy the product in the future.
  • Earlier this year, Maxibon announced the changes to its sizing and attributed the decision to 'tough times' but assured the taste would remain the same.

So, dear SDC members, we encourage you to be vigilant shoppers and stay informed about the ever-changing world of grocery products.

If you ever feel cheated or deceived by a purchase, don't hesitate to voice your concerns to the manufacturer or retailer, and perhaps even reconsider your brand loyalty!

As always, we wish you the best in your shopping – whether in-store, online, or grabbing an ice cream treat on a sunny day. Happy shopping!

Sponsored
Ah, Maxibons. Many SDC members may fondly remember eating these ice cream treats on a hot summer day, over a chit-chat with friends at the local park or a family barbecue. The iconic ice cream sandwich was first introduced in Australia in 2000, becoming an instant hit with its innovative combination of divine chocolate biscuit coating coupled with creamy ice cream filling.

Well, it seems that many Australian shoppers are no longer impressed. The tricky detail that has caused this sudden uproar of frustration? It's all about the size!

In a recent Reddit post, an Aussie shopper shared a photo depicting the disappointing truth about Maxibons. The image showcases two four-packs of Maxibons side by side with a price tag of $9.50 each. However, the obvious difference lies in the size of the products–the older box offers a 620ml portion, whereas the newer one has shrunk to a mere 560ml.

View attachment 22801

This revelation has left quite a bitter taste in our fellow countrymen's mouths, with many flocking to the comments section to express their disdain for such 'shrinkflation'. One Reddit user aptly pointed out the significant decrease in size as they went from a 155g to 140g bar, calling it a 'decent chunk off'.

Maxibons aren't the only products in the Australian market to have been affected by shrinkflation. Others, such as Tim Tams, Cadbury blocks, Pringles, and even some bread brands, have also succumbed to this sneaky strategy. It's frustrating as consumers to notice that we are getting less for the same or even higher price.

One commenter amusingly put it into perspective: 'I love that they advertise shrinkflation with these “NEW” tags now', while another went as far as to say that 'this s*** should be illegal. For both the manufacturer and the retailer. Shrinkflation is a scourge.'

Some even vowed to boycott Maxibons entirely, with one shopper saying, 'Noted, I'm not buying Maxibons again if they are 560ml. Pringles did this to me, and I have not had one since.'

Hold your ice cream, though; one user managed to find a silver lining to balance the conversation, joking: 'Same price - fewer calories!'

For those not in the know, 'shrinkflation' is the term used to describe the phenomenon of products decreasing in size while maintaining (or sometimes even increasing) their original prices. This sneaky tactic isn't exclusive to Maxibons, with countless Aussies voicing their frustrations over shrinking grocery items.

So how can you, dear SDC members, avoid falling prey to shrinkflation? We've got a few tips for you.

First, stay aware of packaging changes, as companies often use this as a disguise for size reductions.

Second, compare unit prices when shopping, as this will give you a better idea of the actual value you're getting.

Lastly, stay informed about changes in the market, so you can make educated decisions about which brands to support.

Maxibon addressed their change in sizing earlier this year, citing 'tough times' as the reason for their unfortunate downsize. They took to Instagram to share: 'It’s not news you’ll want to cop, but we had to let you know first. Tough times mean tough changes. And because of that, we’ve had to make the call to downsize our Maxibon a touch.'

They assured customers that although the size had been reduced, the iconic taste would remain unaltered. The statement was accompanied by a creative graphic with terms such as 'MaxiCon', 'MaxiFlation', and 'ShrinkBon’.

Key Takeaways

• Maxibon ice cream sandwiches have shrunk in size but not in price, causing disappointment among Australian shoppers.
  • The new packaging of Maxibons shows a size drop from 620ml to 560ml but it still costs $9.50 for a four-pack.
  • Aussie shoppers took to social media to express their dissatisfaction and many have decided not to buy the product in the future.
  • Earlier this year, Maxibon announced the changes to its sizing and attributed the decision to 'tough times' but assured the taste would remain the same.

So, dear SDC members, we encourage you to be vigilant shoppers and stay informed about the ever-changing world of grocery products.

If you ever feel cheated or deceived by a purchase, don't hesitate to voice your concerns to the manufacturer or retailer, and perhaps even reconsider your brand loyalty!

As always, we wish you the best in your shopping – whether in-store, online, or grabbing an ice cream treat on a sunny day. Happy shopping!

Not only supermarket’s changing the quantity but the favourite fast food outlet. They raised the price of a frozen coke to $2 but only filled the cup ½ way.

I haven't tried them, largely due to the the billboard "May contain traces of man nuts". Seeing this led to a number of questions, "Whose?", "Why" "When?" & "WTF?" which culminated in "I'm not eating that!!"

I am a rather large single consumer of DILMAHh loose leaf tea. I find tea bags taste totally different or have little to no taste. Therefore I was disgusted to hear direct from DILMAH, that both Woolworths and Coles are forcing the tea company to reduce their already inexpensive tea prices(inexpensive to the supermarkets, NOT the consumers) or else. DILMAH have told me they already lose money in supplying them both and their greed will inevitably mean the tea will be withdrawn from the supermarket shelves. Anyone who is a loose leaf drinker will know DILMAH is more expensive than nearly all the other similar teas. I find this disgusting ad wanted this forum to be aware of it. Thanks. Roy E

Reactions: Ezzy and Nana Zorak
While I only now drink Aldi's green tea in bags I can sympathise with you over the charges that Woolworths & Coles can bring to our availability to buy our favourite teas. I used to buy Dilma h's green tea with Jasmin until Woolworths stopped carrying it. That is when I started to buy from Aldi so Woolies lost not only my purchase of tea but all my other groceries as well. I switched to Aldi almost entirely there are still a few items not available at Aldi but I send my carer in to buy them for me.

Reactions: ROYDE and TheBear
its like fantales used to be 340grms them were not in stock for months when they become available were 170 grms with new paper package Now we were told going out of business though low sales Cant sell product if its not available

Reactions: Ezzy and terri
Unfortunately fellow SDC members we are either going to have to accept it or go without. It's all fair and well to complain and whinge but, at the end of the day, if you stop buying something you enjoy it won't have any impact on the manufacturer and, realistically, with the number of products succumbing to shrinkflation it won't be long before your shopping lists will be practically non-existent. Just saying 😎

Unfortunately fellow SDC members we are either going to have to accept it or go without. It's all fair and well to complain and whinge but, at the end of the day, if you stop buying something you enjoy it won't have any impact on the manufacturer and, realistically, with the number of products succumbing to shrinkflation it won't be long before your shopping lists will be practically non-existent. Just saying 😎
It's a case of Supply & Demand; if a lot of people stop buying a product, it'll eventually hit the manufacturer's bottomline. Whether this translates to reduced prices or even the manufacturer discontinuing the product line, it'll be a response to the drop in sales.

Shrinkflation has already been happening quite a fair bit, especially with popular brands like McDonalds, KFC, Dominos, etc. Their prices have gone up and the product items have shrunk (in size). I've reduced my patronage with these big brands and have looked for alternatives. Like the adage goes, "it's a buyer's market", don't settle for something that affects you .... vote with your feet. Doing otherwise just condones the behaviour.

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 22801

Key Takeaways

The worst group responsible for cutting down on size and increasing their price is MacDonalds, their current Big Mac and other hamburger buns and patties would have to be near 30% smaller which is the reason they don’t sell the 1/4 pounders any more.

The shopping list will suffer from shrinkflation too.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts

View attachment 22801

Key Takeaways

Why didn't they put this out on TV instead of Instagram less people see Instagram that's why boycott the product until the drop the price it should be for a smaller item sick off these thieving bastard companies 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

its like fantales used to be 340grms them were not in stock for months when they become available were 170 grms with new paper package Now we were told going out of business though low sales Cant sell product if its not available
Not going out of business, just deleting fantails from their line.

Reactions: Ezzy
Why didn't they put this out on TV instead of Instagram less people see Instagram that's why boycott the product until the drop the price it should be for a smaller item sick off these thieving bastard companies 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Well the alternative for this and every other product subjected to shrinkflation, is to retain the original size and increase the price to cover the rising costs of manufacture. If you don't like the new sizing, don't buy them but that would be your loss.

I do think it is somewhat amusing that the loudest complaints about shrinkflation are ALWAYS when it relates to junk foods. These are not essential plus we are continually encouraged to limit them in our diet. Having smaller versions available is no bad thing surely. And given they are 'sometimes' foods, perhaps we should have them 'sometimes' and not as regularly as we might have done.