Fundraiser admits to 'unacceptable' tactics in charity donation call

It can be hard not to succumb to pressure when faced with a plea from a charity organisation. But it’s important to remember that it’s okay to say no if you can’t or don’t want to donate.

A Sydney fundraiser came under fire for allegedly pressuring people into donating to charity. The Fundraising Centre was accused of using automated calls with pre-recorded messages.

According to a 2GB listener, John, he witnessed one such instance when he received a call from the organisation over the weekend.

John recorded parts of the call, which the radio station then aired. The caller asked him to make a one-off donation of $25, but when John said 'no', the caller started asking for a donation of at least $20, which John also declined.

You can listen to the recording here!

Another listener, Josephine, also shared her story, revealing, ‘She was so persistent. She didn't let up, and I felt so guilty afterwards.’ She added: ‘My husband and I are about 70, we're both on a pension, and we just felt so guilty for days.’

SDC Images Rectangle (1).png
Josephine received the same persistent call asking for a donation. Image source: Freepik.

In a statement, a Fundraising Centre spokesperson said that the centre had been made aware of a recent call that involved repeated requests for donations and apologised for the 'unacceptable experience'.

'This is not how we operate, and we are reviewing our processes to ensure this isn't repeated,' the spokesperson said.

'We recognise it's important to treat all potential donors with respect, including when they decline to donate. The Fundraising Centre supports many loved and valued Australian charities, and the funds we help raise from generous Australians support a variety of worthy causes.'

If you find yourself in a similar position, you must know how to defuse the situation and let the caller know, in no uncertain terms, that you can't or don't want to donate.

Here are some tips to help you stay confident and take control of the situation:

First, make it clear if you do not wish to donate. Remember, you're under no obligation to give just because someone asks.

Another strategy is to ask the caller for more information. This could be details about the charity, how they use the funds or even their personal identification details. This allows you some time to review and consider the request. Doing this may also test the caller's legitimacy–credible fundraisers will have no issues sharing this information.

When faced with persistent calls, don't be afraid to be assertive. Tell the fundraiser that you do not want to be contacted again. It's your right to request your number to be added to their 'do not call' list.

Lastly, never feel compelled to stay on the line due to politeness or guilt. Donating to charity should be a personal decision, not one induced by pressure or manipulation.

Remember, your kindness should never be taken advantage of. A reputable fundraiser will always respect your choice, whether it's a 'yes' or a 'no'. Stay firm and stay informed.

Key Takeaways

• A manager from The Fundraising Centre has apologised following accusations of pressuring people into donations through automated calls.
  • The automated caller was reported to persistently ask for donations, despite recipients stating they could not contribute.
  • The Fundraising Centre spokesperson apologised for the 'unacceptable experience', stating that it is not their standard approach and they are revising processes to avoid a repeat.
  • The Fundraising Centre clarified that they do not use AI for its calls, some involve pre-recorded messages managed by a human caller.

Have you received a similar call? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
It can be hard not to succumb to pressure when faced with a plea from a charity organisation. But it’s important to remember that it’s okay to say no if you can’t or don’t want to donate.

A Sydney fundraiser came under fire for allegedly pressuring people into donating to charity. The Fundraising Centre was accused of using automated calls with pre-recorded messages.

According to a 2GB listener, John, he witnessed one such instance when he received a call from the organisation over the weekend.

John recorded parts of the call, which the radio station then aired. The caller asked him to make a one-off donation of $25, but when John said 'no', the caller started asking for a donation of at least $20, which John also declined.

Another listener, Josephine, also shared her story, revealing, ‘She was so persistent. She didn't let up, and I felt so guilty afterwards.’ She added: ‘My husband and I are about 70, we're both on a pension, and we just felt so guilty for days.’

View attachment 27493
Josephine received the same persistent call asking for a donation. Image source: Freepik.

In a statement, a Fundraising Centre spokesperson said that the centre had been made aware of a recent call that involved repeated requests for donations and apologised for the 'unacceptable experience'.

'This is not how we operate, and we are reviewing our processes to ensure this isn't repeated,' the spokesperson said.

'We recognise it's important to treat all potential donors with respect, including when they decline to donate. The Fundraising Centre supports many loved and valued Australian charities, and the funds we help raise from generous Australians support a variety of worthy causes.'

If you find yourself in a similar position, you must know how to defuse the situation and let the caller know, in no uncertain terms, that you can't or don't want to donate.

Here are some tips to help you stay confident and take control of the situation:

First, make it clear if you do not wish to donate. Remember, you're under no obligation to give just because someone asks.

Another strategy is to ask the caller for more information. This could be details about the charity, how they use the funds or even their personal identification details. This allows you some time to review and consider the request. Doing this may also test the caller's legitimacy–credible fundraisers will have no issues sharing this information.

When faced with persistent calls, don't be afraid to be assertive. Tell the fundraiser that you do not want to be contacted again. It's your right to request your number to be added to their 'do not call' list.

Lastly, never feel compelled to stay on the line due to politeness or guilt. Donating to charity should be a personal decision, not one induced by pressure or manipulation.

Remember, your kindness should never be taken advantage of. A reputable fundraiser will always respect your choice, whether it's a 'yes' or a 'no'. Stay firm and stay informed.

Key Takeaways

• A manager from The Fundraising Centre has apologised following accusations of pressuring people into donations through automated calls.
  • The automated caller was reported to persistently ask for donations, despite recipients stating they could not contribute.
  • The Fundraising Centre spokesperson apologised for the 'unacceptable experience', stating that it is not their standard approach and they are revising processes to avoid a repeat.
  • The Fundraising Centre clarified that they do not use AI for its calls, some involve pre-recorded messages managed by a human caller.

Have you received a similar call? Share your experience with us in the comments below!
I get about 10 calls a week for charities and they do try and pressure you to donate.I had one that would not take no for answer so I told them not to ring again to take me off the list said ok then rang the next day.so they don’t take no for an answer.

View attachment 27493

Key Takeaways

I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognise. If they want to talk to me they call leave a message & I'll consider calling them back. The callers usually hang up as soon as voice mail kicks in. If I feel inclined I'll check the number on one of the reverse call sites. Unknown texts & emails straight to the spam folder. The phone rings less these days. My current favourite spam email is the one that thinks I'm a dedicated trump supporter

View attachment 27493

Key Takeaways

I guess we have gone through the wringer with all of this. Many charities along with the ones who want you to sign up for whatever. They do get the message. I remember being in a call centre and we were told to ring the number on the page plus the number either side. One lady got really upset as her number was a silent one. I explained it to her what we had been told to do. We didn't get it from any where just random and her's was one of the numbers either side. I also now don't donate over the phone because you never know when it's a scam and won't give to the cancer ones (biggest money makers in the world, doesn't fund finding a cure just funds the bosses and some research) same with diabetes and heart disease. Donating won't find a cure. NEVER feel guilty about saying no

I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognise. If they want to talk to me they call leave a message & I'll consider calling them back. The callers usually hang up as soon as voice mail kicks in. If I feel inclined I'll check the number on one of the reverse call sites. Unknown texts & emails straight to the spam folder. The phone rings less these days. My current favourite spam email is the one that thinks I'm a dedicated trump supporter
I also don’t pick up unknown calls. I have a funny ring tone on my mobile and these nuisance calls always hang up when my ring tone gets to “press the green button” so it proves to me that I should ignore it lol

I do the same, no longer answer calls from unknown numbers. If it is legitimate , they can leave a message. I also put my mobile on sleep mode at night, which still allows for my emergency list to call, just in case family need me As I have had some calls quite late.

View attachment 27493

Key Takeaways

I’m sorry but I just hang up now because we have always given while we were working you seem to stay on a list because they say things like we know youve donated before!! And when you tell them you’re retired and can’t do it anymore they aren’t happy even some pointing out they have retired people donating! But our circumstances are not good so have asked so many times to be taken off their lists so now I feel so bad but just hang up

not only calls but in shopping centres. I saw a man who engaged a group of public school teens in school uniform and stopped and listened. He badgered them for $10 a month. When I told him was not allowed to seek donations/subscriptions from children he started on me. I didn't walk away but said I would report him to the company. He still tried to get $ from me. So I played along and said I am a pensioner and struggling why would I be giving away $. I too could do with donations to manage. He still pressured. I let him have it about its approach, pushing and not letting go. I did report. That company has not been back in the mall that I am aware of and I shop small amount often.
Calls- when I have answered not realising and I've said not interested they press for it. I say I already donate to something else and they have the nerve to ask who. NO way not your business. I did a survey on Native Birds and sightings and he contacted me and after telling him I do animal rescue and already in over my head he said well then you can afford to give us $ to save the birds. What - do you not listen to what is said to you. Told him what I thought.

Sadly in this world we are now living in with so many scam calls genuine charities are not raising the money they hope to receive. I now no longer will donate to any over the phone or the odd one at my door. I do feel uncomfortable about not donating though. I once made a regular donation to one of the charities and agreed to make this donation twice a year but no sooner had I made my second one for the year and I was asked again if I could make another. I explained but then within a week had another request from the same charity again I explained and low and behold about two weeks later yet another. I also will not agree to make a regular monthly donation as sme charities request.

not only calls but in shopping centres. I saw a man who engaged a group of public school teens in school uniform and stopped and listened. He badgered them for $10 a month. When I told him was not allowed to seek donations/subscriptions from children he started on me. I didn't walk away but said I would report him to the company. He still tried to get $ from me. So I played along and said I am a pensioner and struggling why would I be giving away $. I too could do with donations to manage. He still pressured. I let him have it about its approach, pushing and not letting go. I did report. That company has not been back in the mall that I am aware of and I shop small amount often.
Calls- when I have answered not realising and I've said not interested they press for it. I say I already donate to something else and they have the nerve to ask who. NO way not your business. I did a survey on Native Birds and sightings and he contacted me and after telling him I do animal rescue and already in over my head he said well then you can afford to give us $ to save the birds. What - do you not listen to what is said to you. Told him what I thought.
I don't donate anymore because most of the money goes to pay the wages of the collectors and administrators, the people for whom it is intended get very little.

I wont donate over the phone anymore as you can never be sure if they’re genuine, but I’ve found them to be so very persistent. Have told them to never contact me again but I’m still getting calls. There is also some travel company insisting l filled in a coupon in a shopping centre & have won a holiday that will only cost about $330. I absolutely do not fill in coupons in shopping centres, besides Launceston & shopping centres don’t exactly go together. It all tries my patience!

• Haha
Reactions: Kaylee and Jennie

View attachment 27493

Key Takeaways

Definitely NOT acceptable. How much actually gets to the needy? These "middle men" would keep most of it for themselves no doubt.

Reactions: Jennie

View attachment 27493

Key Takeaways

I've received calls like this. I have been very polite to a point and finally have said I'm not interested, have a good day and hung up. I think its wrong to harass people in this way, I already give to several charities and can't afford any more. They seem to know when you have given to one charity or have a little extra money because you suddenly get several requests at once. I think one of the worst guilt trip actions is where you get sent a request in the mail and they give you a free gift, how are you supposed to feel if you don't donate? Surely if the companies that give them these cards, socks, bags etc to give as free gifts gave them the money equivalent it would help their cause more than making people feel guilty or even angry for not donating? Please don't think I don't feel for those needing charity, as I said I regularly donate to several already.

Reactions: Ricki and Jennie
Just hang up the phone in their ear, that's what I do in these situations. They never ring back.

Not sure what the current rate is but, not so long ago, I knew some backpackers who were working as collectors for UNICEF & The Red Cross in shopping centres and at railway stations. Their commission was 50% of what they collected. As for the people in call centres, don't know how much their commission is, but they work from a script. In other words you are talking with someone who is reading words from a screen. Some of the worst offenders, unfortunately, are those purporting to be from children's charities, the RSPCA, conservation groups and famine relief etc.
I recall reading somewhere that about 10 cents in the dollar goes to the actual charity so don't feel guilty about telling these people where to go.
In all honesty I would starve rather than profit from the good nature of others. If I have any spare money, which is rarely, I donate to pet rescue. 😎

Reactions: Bunyip57 and Ricki
Not sure what the current rate is but, not so long ago, I knew some backpackers who were working as collectors for UNICEF & The Red Cross in shopping centres and at railway stations. Their commission was 50% of what they collected. As for the people in call centres, don't know how much their commission is, but they work from a script. In other words you are talking with someone who is reading words from a screen. Some of the worst offenders, unfortunately, are those purporting to be from children's charities, the RSPCA, conservation groups and famine relief etc.
I recall reading somewhere that about 10 cents in the dollar goes to the actual charity so don't feel guilty about telling these people where to go.
In all honesty I would starve rather than profit from the good nature of others. If I have any spare money, which is rarely, I donate to pet rescue. 😎
My elderly Dad was caught in a Charity Donations con, probably for a couple of years before he passed away, he was convinced that the money being taken out of his credit card every week would be helping the children although he wasn't sure which children or where they were.
When my brother and I asked him for information about the charity he became quite agitated,insisting that babies were dying and that he just wanted to help them. When we asked how he found out about the charity he said that he was called one day by someone saying that they represented a charity organisation that helped children but Dad had then forgotten which charity, when they asked for a donation he said that he told them he didn't have the spare money because he was a pensioner so the caller convinced him to give his credit card details instead telling him that he wouldn't miss such a small amount being taken each week because it was not being taken out of his regular bank account.

Once Dad passed on my brother and I (as executors) obviously closed all his accounts but we never did find out which charity it was as it was not clearly listed on his credit card statements. The whole story made us both sad and angry that our dad had been taken advantage of like that and I am sure that he could not have been the only one who had been targeted

View attachment 27493

Key Takeaways

Charity starts at home believe me they don't ring back after I tell them to F### off and block the number I put money into tins at supermarkets etc don't need bashing over the phone 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: Bunyip57