Fuming Coles shopper slams supermarket after she was forced to pay $75 for 500 plastic bags that she will “never use again”

A Coles shopper has taken to social media to air her frustration over the store's strict delivery policy which forced her to pay $75 for 500 plastic bags that she will "never use again".

The Queensland mum claimed that she unwillingly spent 15 cents for each bag needed for her delivery after the supermarket retailer removed the "no bags" option on deliveries.

It should be noted that Coles discontinued the bagless option in 2020 as a measure to limit in-person interactions due to the health risks posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

In the now-deleted post, the mum claimed that she used to opt for the "no bags" delivery option, explaining that she empties the crates of her shopping delivery on-the-spot upon drop off.

The mum also said that it is a hassle for her to do in-store shopping as she looks after her kids alone.

"Wish there was the option for no bags when getting groceries delivered," she wrote on Coles' Facebook page, along with a photo of 500 plastic bags that came with her delivery.

Wquegw8nRzeOFvH1UInUNJA37D8YITn1HvFFCmN9fa4OUNvk2Ff7IsnLuJ5P16x6GmfN8lomQXcxpE1hOP6Q3QgJcWVQouRoDo6Fy9uP8G8sF20-6iQRUEeUpFmByeMby-Jb7UA

A fuming Queensland shopper said that she was forced to pay $75 for 500 plastic bags that she will never use again. Credit: Facebook.

A Coles spokesperson reached out to the mum and informed her that the bags were designed to be reused.

In a statement released by the supermarket, the company said that it is aiming to be Australia's most sustainable supermarket retailer.

"Our ambition is to become Australia's most sustainable supermarket and our Together to Zero strategy sets out ways in which we will reduce our impact on the environment across key sustainability areas including climate change, waste and hunger," the spokesperson said.

Additionally, Coles emphasised that the company has "red-cycling" options for the bags, noting that they are made from 80 per cent recycled plastic.

vxaHnAgN3YtS1ohM72pbth8vT7bVWixtKn0nX5O8PX1Mpp4JBSqPgmtImr_i41mX6JE-_Y2HjFHRewLNKITviBF9qTGxKjtqppC-yalQQeiCAmyROxL_rGJUO_rh2AFxJElZo78

Coles removed the bagless option on deliveries to limit human contact due to the health risks posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. Credit: Coles.

However, the mum said that she would rather have access to the supermarket's buy-back program, insisting that she never reused the plastic bags that come with her delivery.

She also admitted that the "red-cycle" program frustrates her.

The fuming shopper asked: "Why do you make people pay for these bags then take them back for free?"

"We can't say no to them as we are charged for them. So they just sit here and build up."

Elsewhere in the post, the mum claimed that she also paid a delivery fee of $8.

It was also said that other customers have complained about the excessive use of plastic bags — that are usually "under packed" — in their deliveries.

While Coles did not comment on the possibility of bringing back the bagless option for its delivery services, the supermarket said that the option is still available for click and collect orders.

Do you think Coles should bring back the bagless option on deliveries? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I wonder how much of that huge shop ended up in the garbage. People overshop. Go to Vic Market or support your local farmers market. You have to bring your own bags. Belt up.

Are we supposed to believe that this persons order was so large that it necessitated 500 bags?
Proving how that Coles' management truly does not care about the customer. Clearly, staff use as many bags as possible, sometimes only 2 or 3 items in one bag! Customers should Demand that Cardboard boxes be used for deliveries.
Boxes are much easier to pack, easier to stack, transport, lift, carry, label, hold more items, and are 100 times more useful than rotten red dot plastic bags! Ask any cat!!!
Like to know how Coles' staff managed to use $75 worth of bags.
Is there a competition at this store for who can use the most bags in one delivery?
Why were the heavy duty paper bags not used?

I don't pay for bags with my Woolies orders and when I receive and order I return the bags from the previous delivery to the driver. Never had a problem, or excess bags and the drivers are happy to take them.:)
plastic bags?

Reactions: Ricci
Our 5 children were 6 years apart, I didn’t drive and my husband was in the navy and at sea a lot.
I took public transport to the shops, and did the shopping with the kids, although in those days shopping could be delivered.
So what’s my point? My point is why isn’t this mum going out to shop? It’s not that difficult to shop with children!
Although I must admit I never see mums with 5 children in tow and shopping.
I’m concerned that this mum doesn’t do much with her kids, take the kids shopping, give each child a list with items from your shopping list and let them help, my children loved to help. I think supermarkets should have little trolleys like Bunnings so children can help mum shop.
Just look at those happy little ones with their very own trolleys in Bunnings.
Obviously the 500 bags have been accumulated over time, once again if you did your own shopping you could reuse the bags, or find some useful way to reuse them at home, for instance store children’s seasonal clothes, if the children have a lot of toys put some toys in the bags and rotate them every once in a while, the kids will think they are new toys, or if your a knitter like me store your extra yarn in them.