Frustrated Kmart customer exposes subpar online shopping experience

Online shopping has become a staple for many of us, offering the convenience of browsing and buying from the comfort of our homes.

It's convenient for those who might not be as mobile as we once were or for busy parents who can't easily take their kids to the shops.

However, one Australian shopper recently discovered that the experience can be challenging.

The anticipation of waiting for a parcel can be pretty thrilling. For one Aussie mum, her excitement quickly turned to frustration when she opened her first and, as she claims, last online order from Kmart.

Taking to the Kmart Mums Australia social media group, the disappointed customer shared her experience:

‘I made my first online order from Kmart, and it will be the last time I order online,’ she lamented.

1720060336395.png
The mum was disappointed after she opened her first online order from Kmart and vowed never to order again. Credit: Kmart Mums Australia / Facebook

'I [was] so disappointed. I don’t know what to say, especially the baby romper!'

The images she posted told a sorry tale: cardboard boxes arrived squashed and slightly torn, hinting at the less-than-perfect contents inside.

While the packaging's condition might be overlooked, the state of the clothing items, notably a size zero baby romper, was unacceptable.

The romper, which appeared off-white on the website, arrived with noticeable dirt marks – not what one expects from a new purchase.

The community's response was mixed:

‘That's disgusting. I'd be demanding a refund,’ one commented.

‘That's pretty feral,’

However, numerous regular online shoppers mentioned that it's common for items to arrive in such a manner; it's nearly anticipated.

'Kmart stock is always dirty,' one said

‘Just go to your order and upload the photos, and they'll refund it. I've had to with damaged items, and they refunded them,’ another insisted.

‘Just wash it.’ a third added.

Interestingly, some group members shifted the blame away from Kmart, suggesting that the courier service might be responsible for the package's state.

'That’s the courier company’s fault, not Kmart,' a group member said.

‘It seems like it's the courier company, or at best, their loaders and/or drivers, who are at fault. I have had many online orders and deliveries, and not once have I had a problem,’ another said in agreement.

In related updates, a Kmart shopper was dismayed that their order arrived severely damaged despite being marked 'fragile' during packaging.

Social media users proposed an innovative fix using Kintsugi, a Japanese art of repairing ceramics with gold, to mend the broken bowl. Explore further details on this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A mum was left disappointed after opening her first online order from Kmart, vowing never to order again.
  • The items received, including a baby romper, arrived dirty and not as expected, with the delivery's packaging also in poor condition.
  • Other shoppers shared mixed reactions, with some suggesting the issue was not uncommon and proposing solutions such as simply washing the items or seeking a refund.
  • While some blamed the condition of the package on Kmart, others suggested that the courier service was responsible for the damage.
Have you had a similar experience with online shopping? How did you handle it, and what advice would you give others? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored