Frozen is not fresh: Woolworths admits to ‘mistake’

Here at the SDC, we know how important it is to eat fresh and healthy food. That's why we were really surprised to hear about a shopper's recent experience at Woolworths.

A customer from Queensland went to a local store and discovered that pre-packaged sliced bread from multiple brands was frozen solid. Can you believe it?

The shopper was so disappointed that she took to social media to share her experience. She even made a video showing how she tried to poke and hit the bread, but it was rock solid and sounded like tapping on a brick.

She expressed her frustration in a Facebook post, saying that it was unacceptable for Woolworths to sell bread that was frozen solid, especially when they claim to be 'the FRESH food people'.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 10.23.08 AM.png
A shopper recently experienced a shocking revelation about bread from 'multiple brands' in her local store. Credit: Facebook.

To make matters worse, the Woolworths shopper discovered that it wasn't just one brand of sliced bread that had been frozen solid. In fact, the entire line of bread from multiple brands was affected! We can only imagine how shocked she must have been to find out that none of the bread was fresh.

According to a spokesperson from Woolworths, it seems that the gluten-free bread purchased by the shopper is actually meant to be delivered to stores in a frozen state and then thawed for customer convenience.

Unfortunately, it seems that these loaves were displayed on the shelves in their frozen state, which was definitely a mistake. It's good to see that Woolworths acknowledges that they 'missed the mark' in this instance.

It's also interesting to hear them explain that gluten-free bread is an exception to the routine of daily deliveries of fresh bread. This type of bread is considered raw and natural and is baked differently in small batches and in facilities that are dedicated solely to manufacturing gluten-free products.

It's important for stores to take steps to ensure that products are properly labelled and stored, especially when it comes to items like gluten-free bread that require special attention.

Hopefully, this experience will serve as a reminder to Woolworths and other stores to be extra diligent in their processes to prevent these kinds of mishaps in the future.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 10.23.01 AM.png
Thawed bread can contain the same nutrients as fresh bread; however, the flavour and texture may be compromised. Credit: Unsplash/Stephanie Harvey.

The frozen bread debate

It's true that freezing bread can be a great way to extend its shelf life while maintaining its quality and texture. And it's good to know that thawed bread can still taste similar to fresh bread.

However, it's worth noting that freezing bread can have some potential downsides, particularly for people with certain digestive issues like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).

When the bread is frozen, the starch in it is converted into a form known as resistant starch. While this is generally okay for most people, it can potentially aggravate symptoms for those with IBS.

Specifically, the resistant starch in frozen bread can ferment in the bowel, leading to the production of gas and bloating. For someone with IBS, this can be particularly uncomfortable and even painful.

So while freezing bread can be a useful technique for many, it's important to be mindful of the potential effects on your digestive system if you have underlying issues.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer discovered that some pre-packaged sliced bread from multiple brands was frozen solid in the store.
  • The frustrated shopper shared a video on Facebook of herself hitting and poking a loaf of sliced bread to show that it was frozen.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed that gluten-free bread varieties are delivered to stores frozen but should be thawed before being placed on the shelves, which was not done in this case.
  • Gluten-free bread options are delivered frozen as they are generally baked in small batches and in dedicated gluten-free facilities.

While this incident may have left the shopper feeling angry and disappointed, it's good to know that Woolworths does offer a Fresh or Free Guarantee. This means that if a customer is not satisfied with their fresh food purchase, whether in-store or online, they can contact customer service for a refund or a replacement.

It's always reassuring to know that stores stand behind their products and are willing to make things right if there are any issues. And hopefully, this guarantee will help prevent customers from facing any similar unpleasant surprises in the future.

We'd love to hear from you, members! Have you ever had a similar experience at your local Woolworths or other supermarkets? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
I wanted to buy Hot Cross Buns today in my local woolies. They were partially thawed so I had to leave them there as I had planned to bring them home & freeze them for when I want them. This is really annoying but ... there is a really good local bakery where I already buy my sandwich bread for lunch as it's better than anything Woolies have so off I went to the bakery for my Hot Cross Bun supply.

Here at the SDC, we know how important it is to eat fresh and healthy food. That's why we were really surprised to hear about a shopper's recent experience at Woolworths.

A customer from Queensland went to a local store and discovered that pre-packaged sliced bread from multiple brands was frozen solid. Can you believe it?

The shopper was so disappointed that she took to social media to share her experience. She even made a video showing how she tried to poke and hit the bread, but it was rock solid and sounded like tapping on a brick.

She expressed her frustration in a Facebook post, saying that it was unacceptable for Woolworths to sell bread that was frozen solid, especially when they claim to be 'the FRESH food people'.

View attachment 16068
A shopper recently experienced a shocking revelation about bread from 'multiple brands' in her local store. Credit: Facebook.

To make matters worse, the Woolworths shopper discovered that it wasn't just one brand of sliced bread that had been frozen solid. In fact, the entire line of bread from multiple brands was affected! We can only imagine how shocked she must have been to find out that none of the bread was fresh.

According to a spokesperson from Woolworths, it seems that the gluten-free bread purchased by the shopper is actually meant to be delivered to stores in a frozen state and then thawed for customer convenience.

Unfortunately, it seems that these loaves were displayed on the shelves in their frozen state, which was definitely a mistake. It's good to see that Woolworths acknowledges that they 'missed the mark' in this instance.

It's also interesting to hear them explain that gluten-free bread is an exception to the routine of daily deliveries of fresh bread. This type of bread is considered raw and natural and is baked differently in small batches and in facilities that are dedicated solely to manufacturing gluten-free products.

It's important for stores to take steps to ensure that products are properly labelled and stored, especially when it comes to items like gluten-free bread that require special attention.

Hopefully, this experience will serve as a reminder to Woolworths and other stores to be extra diligent in their processes to prevent these kinds of mishaps in the future.

View attachment 16069
Thawed bread can contain the same nutrients as fresh bread; however, the flavour and texture may be compromised. Credit: Unsplash/Stephanie Harvey.

The frozen bread debate

It's true that freezing bread can be a great way to extend its shelf life while maintaining its quality and texture. And it's good to know that thawed bread can still taste similar to fresh bread.

However, it's worth noting that freezing bread can have some potential downsides, particularly for people with certain digestive issues like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).

When the bread is frozen, the starch in it is converted into a form known as resistant starch. While this is generally okay for most people, it can potentially aggravate symptoms for those with IBS.

Specifically, the resistant starch in frozen bread can ferment in the bowel, leading to the production of gas and bloating. For someone with IBS, this can be particularly uncomfortable and even painful.

So while freezing bread can be a useful technique for many, it's important to be mindful of the potential effects on your digestive system if you have underlying issues.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer discovered that some pre-packaged sliced bread from multiple brands was frozen solid in the store.
  • The frustrated shopper shared a video on Facebook of herself hitting and poking a loaf of sliced bread to show that it was frozen.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed that gluten-free bread varieties are delivered to stores frozen but should be thawed before being placed on the shelves, which was not done in this case.
  • Gluten-free bread options are delivered frozen as they are generally baked in small batches and in dedicated gluten-free facilities.

While this incident may have left the shopper feeling angry and disappointed, it's good to know that Woolworths does offer a Fresh or Free Guarantee. This means that if a customer is not satisfied with their fresh food purchase, whether in-store or online, they can contact customer service for a refund or a replacement.

It's always reassuring to know that stores stand behind their products and are willing to make things right if there are any issues. And hopefully, this guarantee will help prevent customers from facing any similar unpleasant surprises in the future.

We'd love to hear from you, members! Have you ever had a similar experience at your local Woolworths or other supermarkets? Let us know in the comments!
Someone plz remind me of the details of a rexent story here about a supermarket (i think Woolllies?) took no responsibility for refunding a customer who purchased a mouldy item & neither did manufacturer want to take responsibility (??? I cant remember specifics, but they were each handballing & unwilling to refund) So to say they take responsibility & refund in this case might also just be stretching the truth a little?
Who can trust these greedy, sneaky corporate giants with anything really (how bout the bread dough that was coming from China & sold as Australuan, once it was baked in the supermarkets? I think it was both Woollies & Coles who were guilty of that?

This has been happening with bread for quite awhile. Very wary of bread fron Aldi as it seems quite stale the next day. Buy from the small bakery.

Gluten Free bread has been frozen for a long time in supermarkets. Not ideal but due to the lower volumes it is the only way people on a Gluten Free diet have choice of breads in a supermarket. Otherwise we need to go to a dedicated bakery which is not always as convenient.
I buy GF crumpets and they are sometimes cold or with condensation on them so I have always known that they would be received frozen in store and then thawed. I have no problem with that as I was just excited that since I found out 26 years ago that I was coeliac, I was able to eat crumpets again. I really like the tip top GF bread as it is one of the closest I have found to "normal' bread.
I find the same with the tiptop. Not come across g/f crumpets though.

View attachment 16068

View attachment 16069

The frozen bread debate

Key Takeaways

The fresh food people what a crock of 💩 Coles also had bread that's been frozen and thawed for your convenience what garbage no bloody convenience only to the company so that happens when someone unknowingly freezes this bread etc and gets sick if they say fresh it should be if it's been frozen it should be found in the freezer section in the supermarket then everyone has the choice to by frozen or fresh it's like all big business feed the shareholders first they want your money 💰 and don't give a 💩about the customer 🤬

My partner (we live apart) taught me something very interesting about keeping bread without mould setting in. You squeeze all the air out of the bag and seal it tightly preferably with a clip not the bread tag and keep it in the fridge. I have since kept a loaf of bread for two weeks. You must get all of the air out of the bag each time you take slices out. I live alone and this really works for me. Give it a go.

View attachment 16068

View attachment 16069

The frozen bread debate

Key Takeaways

It's not only gluten free bread it's also Low GI and Low Carb bread that is frozen. I couldn't find one on the shelf recently but the assistant gave me a frozen one that hadn't been unpacked yet. Woolworths is supposed to be the "Fresh Food People"

I always freeze the bread (that I bake every 10 days) and found that toasting it removes any concern of digestion. So, I also always eat toasted slices of bread. This makes them much lighter.

I have noticed some Coles supermarkets that don’t have instore bakeries have very cold hot cross buns that appear to have been frozen it’s not an issue they just need to be eaten by the use by date

I have noticed some Coles supermarkets that don’t have instore bakeries have very cold hot cross buns that appear to have been frozen it’s not an issue they just need to be eaten by the use by date
I was in my local Woolies today and the hot cross buns were partly thawed & the plastic was covered in moisture proving they had been frozen. Therefore they cannot be frozen when I take them home so it is a big issue for people who live a long way from supermarkets & need to buy for 2-4 weeks at a time. Freezing is essential. Thank goodness for a bakery just a short walk from Woolies so I could buy some hot cross buns.

To all the people saying they can't refreeze thawed bread - why can't you? It's perfectly safe to do so.

View attachment 16068

View attachment 16069

The frozen bread debate

Key Takeaways

I complained months ago about supermarkets selling us "FRESH BREAD DAILY" when in fact it comes into stores frozen. Consumer affairs should make supermarkets label that bread has been frozen and not suitable to re freeze. I think it is disgusting the price we are paying for "FRESH BREAD" when it is not.

Reactions: Defiant540
If this bread is frozen, why do they have to thaw it first - I would rather buy it frozen then thaw it myself later. As many things are frozen then thawed which means I can't freeze it again at home for later or bulk buy. I fully believe there should be a label to state that this item has been pre-frozen & thawed (like the mini oven buns). Also, some of the frozen goods should be offered in their frozen state. Especially Fish/Seafood items & the mini oven buns.
Most gluten-free products that have been frozen do have labels stating they have been thawed and should not be refrozen.

Interesting - I stopped buying bread altogether and also stopped eating sandwiches as I found my guts suffered and were most uncomfortable afterwards. Never been a fan of mud cakes and other mass produced bakery items but had assumed that any internal problems were a result of preservatives (think Maccas bun staying “fresh” for two years pinned on wall). The resistant starch makes sense; potatoes convert the same if kept for a day after cooking. Shops need to put signage to let customers know that their “fresh” bread etc can cause problems - after all, they have to let people know about traces of nuts and gluten that may be present, and resistant starch can cause a lot of painful problems for many people.

Muffins, pancakes, croissants, bread, cakes, crumpets, the list is endless of products that have been frozen prior to purchase by customers. Never happened in “the good old days” when everything was sold freshly baked.