From trash to treasure: mould in your household? Your useless silica gel packs can remove it INSTANTLY!

Everyone here loves to buy new shoes, clothes, bags, accessories, and more when they’re on sale! Who isn’t guilty of being a promo junkie? I mean, isn’t that the reason why we are all here? It isn’t called the ‘Seniors Discount Club’ for nothing!

Though, there's something I guess everyone is guilty of doing. We just use the item we purchase, but we don't care about what comes along with it.

Wrappers, boxes, containers that could be useful for other purposes. Along with these items that we tend to take for granted is a hidden gem: Silica gel.

We often forget that these little packs are NOT JUST FOR SHOW. They act as moisture absorbers. They help to keep the things we buy dry and free from moisture...

Of course, you deserve the fancy clothing you saw on those mannequins and those fancy shoes you saw on display, but please, do us a favour and don’t throw away those silica gel packs!

All you have to do is to grab all the silica gel packs you have and pop them in an empty jar. Just be careful since you'll need to get something sharp to poke holes in the lid of your jar for this little hack to work its magic...

Check out the below video to see exactly how to do it:

Video Credit: @biomestores

After putting your silica gel jar together, you can now pop your newly made ‘moisture absorber’ anywhere in your home, such as your:

h88pNwsHp5VCNCd5MoiA7OpPn3feWrkb-f0TW7BKZNLvqdp8MQogpzuQHsUccV-JqndBO9r9fjzl578z-H-q9nGJinAEljUS51CvvGBvovHlIiBsU6r33ZjtZ_ZZCGMgPvMkpca50B3CABvKkg

Place silica gels in your wardrobe. Image Credit: Shuttershock

1. Wardrobe

Who would want to go out wearing their fancy clothes with a little bit of mould on them? That doesn’t sound too pleasant. Plus, the smell of mouldy clothes emanates. Well, let’s just say I hope you aren't going to dinner because everyone there at your table or beside it will need to look for a different table, far from you, and we don't want that to happen!

77U0-9ZRJ32oPhws0LpWwLd356TZ-p-zQVC9ucuHxN45ERFGxLhllKfzR9kujUeWgAQ5jUHCMkKx4zONsffz_34rI0IAarl9G-rd5sQFmZM-xBxfQYjynhlsrCF6hQZNpu-Kc7U5fl6DlqaQnQ

Mouldy footwear? No problem! Image Credit: Shuttershock
2. Shoe Rack

The same goes with your wardrobe, you don't want your shoes to have mould in them. They say one’s first impression is formed by looking at someone else’s feet. How would you feel if you saw someone in public wearing mouldy shoes? That would certainly leave an impression! Just not the one it should.

mNo-UO4flCroDIyGi3s2Ncyaa66QmsEBo8axaClhc5JUZQBC-l9ymWN8GqoPgP7T-_daZI5VNHa5bWiq79NxF0q2gTJTCU4F0FzCCzUTEt1P8xKDzSSNHTUq5vprzglwBC5GhqIP9Slf9Yi8-w

Protect your books! Image Credit: Shuttershock
3. Bookshelves

You don't want to open your favourite book only to find out that it's filled with mould. A book is a fragile thing. They can easily deteriorate with anything from dust, to fire, to water. It just doesn’t feel right, to see a book that you hold dearly, close to your heart, covered in mould on its spine, in its pages, or on the cover. It’d feel like you just left your best friend in the mud.

F5FQcGl2Lv4r1p4ikFf-pasjeCXyYV5EyHo6we1kK_6Xxy0xRGEgQvVFelUYvZfYDjbjAJwrxHQ5eSkrZwnZ1TyUcIAkARTlzhKF9N5LY2rNj6fjo_B7l8G6garXaoLNLaidhvR24LqhxKM_SQ

Don't let your food items go to waste! Image Credit: Shuttershock
4. Fridge

The fridge is one of the things in the house you need to be careful with. Most food is stored there, and we wouldn’t want to get food poisoning, from mould we can easily fix! So to avoid it, use those silica gel packed jars to keep food fresh and free from any bacteria.

Q1UJg7_xZKcesj4EJL54dGxQgNsJANRTvwR64G-0d8UjsLPtUJmXU5DXd1S66h9MsfOaVZ51AUfYJUMYioautD6NAUQRtgGzrM9rcVQBWeX3oZHs24tnf7kIs3SlmzCdHMwmDSCT7goeT-0zow

Stay safe from mould, folks! Image Credit: Shuttershock
5. Under the Sink

This one is pretty common. We often forget to put a moisture absorber under the sink since it's usually dark and we don't see it that often. But it's still one of the places in the house we need to be careful with because it's usually full of moisture, and we don't want our things stored there to get grimy! So might as well just put a moisture absorber there to be safe.

And there you have it! These are the places in your home where you might need to put a moisture absorber, like a silica gel filled jar, to make sure that your things are dry and free from moisture. Given the recent rain storms a few of us have been experiencing, a few of us could use this handy hack right about now.

What do you think? Is this something you'll try? Will this help you save your favourite clothes or shoes? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Must try that, I'll have to start saving the little silica packs.

I have always kept the small silica packs and place them in with my desert rose seeds to keep fresh in the butter compartment of my fridge until next year's planting.

You can also buy them in bulk, quite cheaply off the internet, if you are in a hurry to place them around your house!

I was collecting them at one stage and then we moved house so I got rid of them. Will have to start collecting again. Great tip :)

We have always saved our little silica bags. I put a couple in each of my plastic shoe boxes to keep my shoes mould free. Like the video I have a bottle of them in my wardrobe and my hubby keeps a jar of them on hand in case our mobile phones get wet. You just put your phone and half a dozen silica packs in a zip-lock bag overnight and hey presto your phone is back to 100% next morning.

Reactions: JayKay
I grew up with my Mum adding a few grains of rice into the salt shaker to absorb moisture and stop it from clogging up.
I don't add salt to my food, so I don't use a salt shaker.