From the Queen to the World Cup, find out Australia’s most-Googled terms in 2022!

As we bid adieu to 2022 and welcome in a (hopefully) better year, the world's most popular search engine is giving us a glimpse into what Australians have been Googling throughout the last twelve months.

You might be surprised at some of the things on the list!

Between the global pandemic, devastating floods, and the deaths of some cherished icons (you will be missed, Olivia Newton-John), there was plenty for Australians to Google this year.

So, what exactly were we searching for? Well, according to data from the world's most popular search engine, health-related terms largely dominated our queries. However, the most popular term of 2022 was unheard of until a year ago.

words.jpg
An online game took the top spot for the most-searched term in 2022. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

The online game, Wordle, took the top spot for the most-searched term this year. After amassing millions of players in a short amount of time, the New York Times acquired the rights and added Wordle to its portfolio of word games.

Sporting events, such as the Australian Open, put renowned athletes like Ash Barty and Nick Kyrigos up on the list of terms, ahead of Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

Novak Djokovic was also one of the most-searched-for-names on the list, but this is likely due to his visa hiccup at the start of the year.

The cost-of-living crisis also played a major role in the search trends as Australians found themselves Googling why supermarket staples, such as lettuce, increased in price. Surprisingly, COVID-19 did not feature in the top 10 overall searches for the first time since the outbreak of the pandemic.

The most-searched phrases in news, sports, health, and global figures are found below:

Most Googled terms: Overall

1. Wordle

2. Australian Open

3. World Cup

4. Shane Warne

5. Ukraine

6. Novak Djokovic

7. Ashes

8. Ash Barty

9. Olivia Newton-John

10. Betty White

tennis.jpg
The Australian Open took the second spot. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

Most Googled terms: News Events

1. Ukraine

2. Election results

3. Omicron symptoms

4. Monkeypox

5. Tonga

6. Tsunami warning

7. Novavax Australia

8. Cassius Turvey

9. COVID update Perth

10. Japanese encephalitis

Most Googled terms: Australian figures

1. Ash Barty

2. Nick Kyrgios

3. Anthony Albanese

4. Thanasi Kokkinakis

5. Dylan Alcott

6. Brittany Higgins

7. Grace Tame

8. John Farnham

9. Alex de Minaur

10. Peter Dutton

Most Googled terms: Loss

1. Shane Warne

2. Olivia Newton-John

3. Betty White

4. Queen Elizabeth

5. Anne Heche

6. Andrew Symonds

7. Taylor Hawkins

8. Aaron Carter

9. Bob Saget

10. Paul Green

shutterstock_1965680194-min (1).jpg
The passing of beloved Aussie actress Olivia Newton-John shocked many. Credit: Shutterstock

And finally, here are the Most Googled terms: Sports

1. Australian Open

2. World Cup

3. Ashes

4. Winter Olympics

5. Rugby League World Cup

6. Indian Wells

7. Commonwealth Games

8. ATP Cup

9. AFLW

10. NBL

Key Takeaways

• Wordle, the online game, was the most Googled term in Australia in 2022.
  • Other popular search terms included the Australian Open, World Cup, Shane Warne, and Olivia Newton-John.
  • COVID-19 did not feature in Google's top 10 overall searches for the first time since the outbreak of the pandemic.
There you have it, members! Which one of these terms did you Google this year? Let us know in the comments!

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
None! I must lead a very boring life as I discover I'm not sufficiently interested in any of the listed people/topics to google them. Either that or my brain is filled with so much other stuff I just don't have the room for more information!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Happymad
Well, it seems like everyone has their own preferences when it comes to browsing the internet! Personally, I stumbled upon TikTok thanks to my granddaughter when I turned 65, and let me tell you, it's been a hoot ever since. I mainly use the app to watch hilarious videos and listen to uplifting podcasts that put me in a good mood. Positive words are my jam! By the way, I haven't come across the game Wordle. Thanks for mentioning that!

Reactions: Ricci
In the future, it is predicted that these technological advances and the development of electronic appliances will increase the market, in the upcoming years the expendable cash of consumers will be high because living standards are improving, increasing the quality of life, and making work easy in the home by using the electronic appliances.
Yasir Electronics
Dc Inverter Ac in Pakistan