From the Experts: Nightmares and Sleep Terrors (Part 2)

Screen Shot 2024-07-09 at 4.33.40 pm.png

Note from the Editor:
This article was written for the SDC by psychologist and member @Jan A. Jan A. works part-time, taking on clients under the Medicare Mental Health Care Plans. She works with people of all ages, from children to seniors!

Missed part 1? Catch up here.

Are there other types of nightmares?

As well as common nightmares, there are nightmares specifically associated with Post-Traumatic Disorder and with sexual abuse.

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder:

A subcategory of nightmares relates to war or life-threatening occurrences that generate Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), previously known as 'shell shock' or 'battle fatigue.' PTSD as a psychological injury was originally recognised as associated with the effects of war but can arise from any fear-inducing event or experience that is beyond what a person would normally expect to experience in their life.

The PTSD-related nightmares occur with combat exposure or with a traumatic event in the case of non-combat-related PTSD. Studies on combat veterans with PTSD have shown high percentages of combat veterans suffer repetitive nightmares for many years, though not all combat participants suffer nightmare experiences.

Other traumatic events found to be associated with PTSD include accidents, childhood sexual abuse, sudden death of a loved one, violent crime and family violence. PTSD can also be found in people who have witnessed or heard about suicides or other violent events.

PTSD can also be caused in workplaces by excessive performance demands, bullying or other threats to the person’s livelihood.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I have Narcolepsy but have been off medication for a few years as I ended up with big gaps between occurrences. I have been having nightmares and very disruptive sleep since my daughter committed suicide on the 3/7. Have texted Joy and told her about my daughter. I have kept myself busy with SDC over the last month but find at times I'm getting confused. Haven't seen my other children as they live a fair distance away since her funeral on 25/7. We donated her organs and I know her organs have successfully been transplanted. I have dreams about was she sorry she did it before she died. Can't remember them all just not sleeping very much.
Sorry,
Thank you very much.
PSI used to fall asleep at the drop of a hat with Narcolepsy . Not now hardly getting any sleep. So tired and forgetful

Last edited:
I have Narcolepsy but have been off medication for a few years as I ended up with big gaps between occurrences. I have been having nightmares and very disruptive sleep since my daughter committed suicide on the 3/7. Have texted Joy and told her about my daughter. I have kept myself busy with SDC over the last month but find at times I'm getting confused. Haven't seen my other children as they live a fair distance away since her funeral on 25/7. We donated her organs and I know her organs have successfully been transplanted. I have dreams about was she sorry she did it before she died. Can't remember them all just not sleeping very much.
Sorry,
Thank you very much.
PSI used to fall asleep at the drop of a hat with Narcolepsy . Not now hardly getting any sleep. So tired and forgetful
My sympathies go out to you on the loss of your daughter.
I can relate to your feelings having been feeling the same since my husband passed away back in June.
I know I did everything I could to help and the paramedics told me there was nothing more I could have done, but still I feel guilty and have nightmares where the whole episode happens again
Hoping time will ease these problems.
Not having other family close is also sad, close family can be such a comfort at these times.
Is it possible for you to go and visit with your other children for a while.
My son is in NSW and I am booked to visit them next February. It seems a long way off, but it gives me something to look forward to.
Happier days are ahead for both of us, I am sure
My best wishes
Trish💞

Sorry,
Thank you very much.
Keeping you in my prayers, sending my wishes that time will dull the pain and the 'if only'.

Sorry,
Thank you very much.
Your story brought me to tears I am so sorry for you

Sorry,
Thank you very much.
I don’t know what to say BeautifulMousey apart from I’m so sorry about your daughter. I hope that you realise that even though we don’t know each other a lot of us will be sending prayers & strength your way. I can’t imagine losing a child, my parents lost 2 adult children and I admired their courage so much. I still miss my older siblings so much even though it’s been over 25 years. I hope chatting to us helps in some small way.
Patricia

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMousey
I can relate to your feelings having been feeling the same since my husband passed away back in June.
I know I did everything I could to help and the paramedics told me there was nothing more I could have done, but still I feel guilty and have nightmares where the whole episode happens again
Not having other family close is also sad, close family can be such a comfort at these times.
My son is in NSW and I am booked to visit them next February. It seems a long way off, but it gives me something to look forward to.
My best wishes
Trish💞
Losing my husband is something I dread as do most of us. The last couple of years really brought home to me how fragile life really is & how much we take for granted. Our only child lives in Perth & has been there for over 20 years & we are heading west in December to celebrate Teds 75th birthday. We get together special occasions, which involves tedious flights across the country but fortunately we can still do so. I hope your trip to NSW helps both you & your son.
Patricia

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Losing my husband is something I dread as do most of us. The last couple of years really brought home to me how fragile life really is & how much we take for granted. Our only child lives in Perth & has been there for over 20 years & we are heading west in December to celebrate Teds 75th birthday. We get together special occasions, which involves tedious flights across the country but fortunately we can still do so. I hope your trip to NSW helps both you & your son.
Patricia
Thank you, I am grateful that I also can still do the long trip.I am sure you will enjoy your December trip. It's always good to catch up with family

• Love
Reactions: PattiB
I don’t know what to say BeautifulMousey apart from I’m so sorry about your daughter. I hope that you realise that even though we don’t know each other a lot of us will be sending prayers & strength your way. I can’t imagine losing a child, my parents lost 2 adult children and I admired their courage so much. I still miss my older siblings so much even though it’s been over 25 years. I hope chatting to us helps in some small way.
Patricia
It does. I don't feel so alone knowing I have friends on SDC even though I don't know you personally, I feel like I do.
Thank you much
😍😍❤️❤️❤️

• Love
Patricia
Hope you enjoy your trip West to see your son. Best wishes 😍❤️

My best wishes
Trish💞
Thank you ❤️

Sorry,
Thank you very much.
@BeautifulMousey Reading your story left me with sadness it was like a hole suddenly appeared in my chest.
I appreciate the likes and laughter emojies you post on my inputs. I strive to make at least one person, on this planet, smile or laugh per day.
I am happy that I have been able to do that for you because, after all, laughter is the best medicine.
God Bless,
Cliff

Sorry,
Thank you very much.
My heart goes out to all of you that have lost someone and l hope you all find solace by talking about it to all the caring SDC friends on here. l lost my husband two years ago and my grand-daughter aged 26 about 6 weeks ago and today my sister has died but l just didn't want this to pass without sharing with you all as l know you must feel a part of yourself is missing. So sorry to everyone.

My heart goes out to all of you that have lost someone and l hope you all find solace by talking about it to all the caring SDC friends on here. l lost my husband two years ago and my grand-daughter aged 26 about 6 weeks ago and today my sister has died but l just didn't want this to pass without sharing with you all as l know you must feel a part of yourself is missing. So sorry to everyone.
Sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. Glad you shared it with us at SDC.
Please take care and anything you want to talk about or anything we can do, don't hesitate to ask. We will help anyway we can. 😍❤️