From Fame to Struggles and Back: The Journey of Rowena Wallace, once Australia’s Highest Paid TV Star

They say there are no small parts, only small actors – but in the case of Rowena Wallace, she chose not to act small at all.

Even though she was only 5'4', Rowena's career more than made up for her size on the small screen – both in terms of character size and her earnings.

Back in the '80s, she ruled the roost playing the conniving 'Pat the Rat' on the classic Australian soap opera Sons & Daughters, all the way to her winning of the Gold Logie Award in 1984. At the peak of her fame, Rowena's weekly salary was a whopping $5,000.

Today, the 76-year-old actor is preparing for a return to the small screen. And before her triumphant comeback, she wants to share her story of spectacular rise – and fall.

Screenshot 2023-11-20 082643.png
76-year-old Rowena Wallace, from highest-paid actress to broke. Image: Facebook / @Rowena Wallace

The Young Worker At Heart: How Rowena Got Her Start

Rowena has been acting since she was a young woman. She began her professional venture at 13, working as a professional ballet dancer.

Later, she went on to join a travelling theatre company in southeast Queensland, performing in towns like Atherton, Mareeba, Yungaburra, Inniseff, and Yabulu. 'Back then, these little towns were part of my education,' she says.

It was during this time that Rowena also developed her affinity for television, particularly the achievements of the then legendary female lead stars.

'When I saw these women who were of my height, I admit I was envious and inspired by them to have a go at acting,' she told the Daily Mail Australia.

So, when she was asked to audition for Sons & Daughters by one of its producers, she gladly took the opportunity.

Securing the lead role of 'Pat the Rat' for the entire four-year duration of the series, Rowena soon skyrocketed to instant fame while becoming the highest paid actor of her time. But fame wasn't all rainbows and sunshines for Rowena – it had its own share of burdens too.

977392_10151743391152063_1533820316_o.jpg
Sons and Daughters, the classic TV show’s cast members. Image: Facebook / @Sons and daughters (Australian Soap)

Behind the Fame and Fortune: Struggles Behind the Scenes

In her pursuit to embody her character perfectly, Rowena found herself struggling with mental health issues and an increasing reliance on prescription medication.

'The public and many of my co-stars never knew that just to get through each show I endured crippling back pain and anxiety and depression. I became a pill-popping addict,' she says.

Unfortunately, her career nose-dived in the '90s and 2000s, resulting in her collecting a disability pension and getting deep in debt.

In addition, in 2005, she was even charged with Social Security fraud for receiving payments while appearing in shows like All Saints and Home & Away.

The situation got worse and Rowena even resorted to selling her Logies and taking on demeaning work just to make ends meet.

A Lasting Return: Hope at 76

But all wasn't lost, and in what she calls her darkest hour – when she considered swallowing a bottle of pills – Rowena received a phone call that changed her life.

It was an offer for a new role written especially for her: a crime drama that was to be a combination of Vera and Ironside, where her character will be wheelchair-bound and boast edgier traits.

'Simply put, you can give in, you can give out, but you must never give up,' Rowena says as she prepares for her latest roll-out.

'I believe this experience is unique – that I've been afforded a new lease on life at the age of 76. An experience to show the world that even after having hit an all-time low and living in near feral circumstances on a rural property, it's never too late.'

Key Takeaways
  • Rowena Wallace, who was once the highest paid television star in Australia, experienced a significant decline in her career and personal life due to addiction, depression, and financial issues.
  • She faced a series of challenges, including social security fraud charges, debilitating health issues, and career setbacks.
  • Wallace attempted to sell her prized Gold Logie on eBay in 2012 and even experienced suicidal ideation during her struggles.
  • After many difficulties, Wallace has received a call for a new TV role, marking a potential career comeback for the 76-year old former star.

After decades of hardships, it certainly looks like the true-blue Aussie star is ready for her return! Have you watched Rowena Wallace and the iconic Sons and Daughters soap opera? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
They say there are no small parts, only small actors – but in the case of Rowena Wallace, she chose not to act small at all.

Even though she was only 5'4', Rowena's career more than made up for her size on the small screen – both in terms of character size and her earnings.

Back in the '80s, she ruled the roost playing the conniving 'Pat the Rat' on the classic Australian soap opera Sons & Daughters, all the way to her winning of the Gold Logie Award in 1984. At the peak of her fame, Rowena's weekly salary was a whopping $5,000.

Today, the 76-year-old actor is preparing for a return to the small screen. And before her triumphant comeback, she wants to share her story of spectacular rise – and fall.

View attachment 35202
76-year-old Rowena Wallace, from highest-paid actress to broke. Image: Facebook / @Rowena Wallace

Rowena has been acting since she was a young woman. She began her professional venture at 13, working as a professional ballet dancer.

Later, she went on to join a travelling theatre company in southeast Queensland, performing in towns like Atherton, Mareeba, Yungaburra, Inniseff, and Yabulu. 'Back then, these little towns were part of my education,' she says.

It was during this time that Rowena also developed her affinity for television, particularly the achievements of the then legendary female lead stars.

'When I saw these women who were of my height, I admit I was envious and inspired by them to have a go at acting,' she told the Daily Mail Australia.

So, when she was asked to audition for Sons & Daughters by one of its producers, she gladly took the opportunity.

Securing the lead role of 'Pat the Rat' for the entire four-year duration of the series, Rowena soon skyrocketed to instant fame while becoming the highest paid actor of her time. But fame wasn't all rainbows and sunshines for Rowena – it had its own share of burdens too.

View attachment 35203
Sons and Daughters, the classic TV show’s cast members. Image: Facebook / @Sons and daughters (Australian Soap)

In her pursuit to embody her character perfectly, Rowena found herself struggling with mental health issues and an increasing reliance on prescription medication.

'The public and many of my co-stars never knew that just to get through each show I endured crippling back pain and anxiety and depression. I became a pill-popping addict,' she says.

Unfortunately, her career nose-dived in the '90s and 2000s, resulting in her collecting a disability pension and getting deep in debt.

In addition, in 2005, she was even charged with Social Security fraud for receiving payments while appearing in shows like All Saints and Home & Away.

The situation got worse and Rowena even resorted to selling her Logies and taking on demeaning work just to make ends meet.

But all wasn't lost, and in what she calls her darkest hour – when she considered swallowing a bottle of pills – Rowena received a phone call that changed her life.

It was an offer for a new role written especially for her: a crime drama that was to be a combination of Vera and Ironside, where her character will be wheelchair-bound and boast edgier traits.

'Simply put, you can give in, you can give out, but you must never give up,' Rowena says as she prepares for her latest roll-out.

'I believe this experience is unique – that I've been afforded a new lease on life at the age of 76. An experience to show the world that even after having hit an all-time low and living in near feral circumstances on a rural property, it's never too late.'

Key Takeaways

• Rowena Wallace, who was once the highest paid television star in Australia, experienced a significant decline in her career and personal life due to addiction, depression, and financial issues.
  • She faced a series of challenges, including social security fraud charges, debilitating health issues, and career setbacks.
  • Wallace attempted to sell her prized Gold Logie on eBay in 2012 and even experienced suicidal ideation during her struggles.
  • After many difficulties, Wallace has received a call for a new TV role, marking a potential career comeback for the 76-year old former star.

After decades of hardships, it certainly looks like the true-blue Aussie star is ready for her return! Have you watched Rowena Wallace and the iconic Sons and Daughters soap opera? Let us know in the comments below!

Wishing Rowena all the best! Not sure if you realise that Atherton, Mareeba, Yungaburra, Tabula and I think it was meant to be Innisfal, not Inniseff, are towns the furthest away from Southeast Qld yo could get! Try NORTHEAST Qld...😁

Wishing Rowena all the best! Not sure if you realise that Atherton, Mareeba, Yungaburra, Tabula and I think it was meant to be Innisfal, not Inniseff, are towns the furthest away from Southeast Qld yo could get! Try NORTHEAST Qld...😁

View attachment 35202

View attachment 35203

Key Takeaways

Sons and daughters were re running on seven plus I think when they pulled the plug and never showed anymore episodes. I was really engrossed in it but was deeply disappointed when it stopped playing. Cruel cruel cruel.

View attachment 35202

View attachment 35203

Key Takeaways

she stole my heart, and I still hold a candle for her. love Rowena.

Reactions: Leenie
yeah and Cairns too....😉

Reactions: Leenie
Was a huge fan of Sons and Daughters in its heyday and remember reading about her troubles with Social Security all those yrs ago so am extremely happy for her that she is being given a new lease on life, she deserves it. It's never easy to live with & in excruciating pain so I hope she also got the correct treatment to deal with that issue. Looking forward to watching her new series.

View attachment 35202

View attachment 35203

Key Takeaways

This woman annoys the hell out of me. Sick of hearing her whining about how poor she is. She lived life to the fullest when she was getting good money and did not put any away for the rainy day which eventually came. I do not want to see her back on tv at all and will not be watching.