From dream to nightmare: Distressing reality of retirement living for Aussie seniors

Content warning: This article mentions subjects related to suicide, which might be sensitive for some. Reader discretion is advised.

The golden years are often envisioned as a time of relaxation and comfort, a reward for a lifetime of hard work.

Retirement villages across Australia promise just that, with the allure of safety, community, and low-maintenance living.

However, for one Aussie senior, her experience at a retirement village was far from the peaceful retirement she had hoped for.

Instead, it became a source of profound distress, leading her to contemplate suicide.

Ninety-year-old Maurine Moore reached a point in her life at a retirement village in Melbourne where she considered suicide due to her difficult circumstances.

‘I felt that bad,’ she said, tearing up. ‘I was really worn out.’

Earlier this year, the retired child psychologist and volunteer, who struggles with mobility, packed up her antique furniture, boxed her extensive collection of books, and carefully packed her cherished Royal Doulton figurines before leaving the home she had lived in for 15 years.

compressed-shutterstock_1271846398.jpeg
Maurine Moore, a 90-year-old resident of a Pinnacle Living retirement village, faced what she termed ‘reckless harassment’ over her smoking, resulting in extreme stress and suicidal thoughts. Credit: Shutterstock

Maurine departed in March after Pinnacle Living, the owner of the retirement village in the tranquil Balwyn suburb, threatened to evict her in a letter sent just three days before Christmas.

Her violation? Consistently breaching a smoking ban that was implemented in 2019, a decade after her arrival, as a result of a residents' vote that declared the entire village smoke-free, including her home and courtyard.

‘I was 16 when I started and unfortunately became addicted,’ Maurine shared.

‘I did give up in 2018 with a great deal of help until the pressure started with the place I was living at…I just went back to it when the pressure got too much…and I'm ashamed of it.’

She described her treatment at the village over the past few years as ‘abominable’.

ABC Investigations and 7.30 have revealed alarming accounts of exorbitant fees and unfair contracts that older Australians have encountered when entering the multi-billion-dollar retirement village sector.

These include complicated and unclear agreements (some featuring algebraic formulas), price gouging, intimidation, and deceptive marketing claims.

Every year, thousands of retirees are attracted to retirement villages by the allure of safety, enjoyment, and low-maintenance living.

Over 250,000 residents inhabit more than 2,500 villages nationwide.

The industry's leading association claims that these homes are, on average, 43 per cent cheaper than the median house price in their respective postcodes, with residents reportedly 41 per cent happier.

However, Maurine described her experience as more akin to hell than a paradise.

Maurine noted that her relationship with the village began to decline in 2017 when she took Pinnacle to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for not repairing her library room, which had flooded and damaged her books.

Although Pinnacle eventually agreed to address the issue, she felt that the dynamics shifted afterwards.

‘One manager always kept saying, “You are confused,” as if you had Alzheimer's,’ she recounted.

On one occasion, Maurine claims a staff member blocked her car while she was attempting to leave the village, smiling as he walked away for 15 minutes, causing her to be late for a doctor's appointment.

Then, in 2019, the village implemented a smoking ban.

Following that, she received numerous emails and visits to her unit, permitted under her contract, along with legal letters and demands for costly repairs that she couldn't afford. This was compounded by accusations of a ‘putrid stench’ coming from her home.

In a letter dated December 16, 2020, just before Christmas, Pinnacle outlined several breaches of her contract that needed to be resolved by January 27—a challenging deadline given the holiday shutdown.

Maurine was mortified by the claims made in the letter, including ‘a general state of uncleanliness’, which she firmly denies.

Pinnacle complained about ‘the presence of smoke stains over all surfaces, both within and outside of the apartment’.

The letter stated that she was required to dismantle the air conditioning and ‘remove and clean all mechanical systems, including the air conditioning cassette unit, exhaust fans, range hoods, ductwork, registers and controllers; remove and clean all power points and light switches’.

It also required that all fixtures and fittings, including furniture, soft furnishings, carpets, and underlay, be cleaned ‘in an attempt to remove the putrid stench within and permeating from the apartment’.

Additionally, it stipulated that by January 27, Maurine needed to ‘professionally repaint ceilings, doors and walls with undercoat including stain killers such as Zinsser B.I.N. and two coats of Dulux internal paint, matching the (pre) existing colours if surfaces are damaged from cleaning performed’.

‘The walls were not yellow, they were lying…there was nothing wrong with the place,’ Maurine argued.

Maurine, who has limited finances and struggles with mobility—using a stick to walk—does not have any immediate family to rely on for support.

Distressed by her situation, she reached out to the non-profit Housing for the Aged Action Group (HAAG) for assistance.

As the letters from Pinnacle kept arriving, HAAG worker Shane McGrath intervened, stating to the village, ‘This persistent and baseless harassment of my client must stop.’

‘The tone of your emails has been aggressive and hostile towards Maurine as if you think you can brute-force your way to whatever outcome you want, and you consistently appear more interested in causing her distress than in achieving any practical outcome,’ he stated in one 2021 email.

‘This can only be either deliberate or reckless harassment. Please stop. It is not helping you, and it is—as I have said—causing needless and severe distress to my client, a resident of the village you manage who is a frail, elderly woman.’

‘This is a moment where everyone can step back, take a breath, and figure out how to de-escalate and move forward together,’ McGrath added.

McGrath visited Maurine several times and noted that her unit was clean and well-maintained, contrary to claims of its poor condition.

Throughout 2021, Maurine, then 87, was hospitalised three times due to health issues. As the conflict continued, Pinnacle brought in lawyers to draft some of the correspondence.

In a letter to Pinnacle's lawyers in February 2022, McGrath pointed out that Maurine had been attempting to quit smoking for years.

‘She has been unable to, which she finds deeply embarrassing and shameful,’ the letter read.

‘She is also not mobile enough to leave the village every time she needs to smoke.’

‘There is no practical way she can comply with the demand that she stop smoking on site altogether, and she would not have moved into the village had such a rule existed at the time,’ it continued.

HAAG Head Fiona York described Maurine's case as one of the most severe she has encountered.

‘It's [the village is] built on a hill, so she can't walk out of the village to be able to smoke,’ she pointed out.

‘And as a lifelong smoker, it's really difficult [for her] to be able to stop.’

‘We tried to negotiate with the village to be able to find a reasonable way to resolve this.’

‘We proposed that there be an area where she was able to smoke that wouldn't impact on other residents, and we tried to negotiate with the village management.’

‘Unfortunately, they dug their heels in,’ Ms York added.

Pinnacle stated that any agreement would necessitate Maurine to construct a self-contained room in her courtyard ‘which does not permit smoke to emanate from outside of that area’.

This expense was too much for Maurine, who was already facing financial difficulties.

On February 28, 2022, she received a breach and termination notice requiring her to vacate her home by May 4.

HAAG sought an injunction from VCAT, which was approved, but the stress was becoming overwhelming for Maurine.

‘You're made to feel isolated, yes. And if you're the bad person, no one wants to associate with you, in case they start getting picked on,’ she lamented.

‘So, I started keeping myself away from the residents, although I will say most of the residents were very supportive.’

After enduring the anxiety of potential eviction, Maurine signed a deed of settlement and release in October 2023, legally committing not to smoke on the premises, which resolved the VCAT case.

However, just three days before Christmas, she was caught smoking again, prompting Pinnacle's lawyers to send a letter threatening that they ‘would seek orders for her to vacate the premises forthwith’ and to recover legal costs.

In January, while Maurine was still residing there, fellow residents received a four-page letter titled ‘Special Levy’ that detailed the ongoing smoking dispute, indirectly referring to her and stating that Pinnacle had incurred $92,000 in legal expenses to address the issue.

According to the letter, ‘costs are not provided for in the routine village budget’, which meant that each household would need to contribute a levy of nearly $2,200.

‘I think that was to turn the residents against me,’ she speculated.

By this point, Maurine was 90 years old and lacked the funds to continue battling the dispute, making the stress overwhelming for her.

‘I was so nervous and so upset, I was forced to give in,’ she said.

compressed-shutterstock_2431718323.jpeg
Maurine left the village under duress, signing a settlement deed that undervalued her property and denied her any capital gain despite significant appreciation in local property values during her residency. Credit: Shutterstock

She moved out in late March and is now renting in another retirement village in a peaceful Melbourne suburb, paying on a month-to-month basis.

In May, Pinnacle proposed to buy her home for the price she paid 15 years ago, $490,000, minus various fees, which would leave her with just $343,000, denying her any capital gains and resulting in a significant financial loss.

According to CoreLogic data, property prices in the suburb have surged over 150 per cent during the same period.

In its letter, the company claimed her home was in an ‘extremely poor state’ and would require over $100,000 in repairs, which they would waive if she accepted their offer.

The letter also noted that they couldn't specify how long it would take to repair, resell, and settle her property, citing a subdued market and it was ‘taking a long time to find new residents’.

‘Meanwhile, we continue to spend more in legal fees to assert our rights under the deed of settlement,’ the letter continued.

If she agreed to the offer, the company stated it would withdraw the legal action against her.

Maurine decided to accept the deal.

‘They have turned what could have been a pleasant old age into sheer hell,’ she remarked.

‘I'm sorry. I shouldn't say this, but at one time, I contemplated suicide. I felt that bad.’

Pinnacle refused an interview but stated in a release that over 80 per cent of village residents voted in October 2018 to implement a smoking ban across the entire village.

‘There were many conversations and correspondence, directly, with third party representatives and with family members to advise smoking was in breach of the community rules and requests that residents stop smoking on the premises,’ the statement said.

‘Despite the efforts of friends, neighbours, counsellors, legal representatives, the Residents Association and staff, the resident advised she would not stop smoking.’

‘By October 2022, we wrote to the resident formally advising her she was disrupting the quiet enjoyment of her neighbours and in breach of the community's rules regarding smoking.’

‘In early 2024, the resident moved out of the village by agreement,’ the statement continued.

Pinnacle listed Maurine's home for $1.1 million, promoting it as ‘the epitome of refined living’—more than twice the amount they paid her in May.

‘I would have been happy just to get back what I actually paid for it, but they didn't even pay that,’ Maurine lamented.

York expressed that she is not surprised by the development.

‘This is how they make their money,’ she said.

‘They want the residents to get out, and then they can resell the unit at a higher amount of money for the next person coming in.’

Retirement villages primarily generate revenue when residents depart, as they collect exit fees at that time.

For Maurine, the exit fees began at 2.5 per cent of the resale value, capping at 25 per cent after a decade, resulting in a fee of $122,500.

York noted that these exit fees incentivise retirement villages to push residents out once the maximum fee is reached.

‘For example, if a person was to live in a village for 10 years, and the exit fee was at its maximum after five years, the profit that the village is making isn't as much as if they could get two people there: five years and then five years,’ she explained.

At HAAG, York has witnessed various tactics employed by some retirement villages to cycle through residents.

‘Examples include questioning whether the person is able to live independently because, under the law, the villages can have someone leave if they are deemed to be unable to live independently,’ she said, also citing bullying.

In a survey conducted last year by the NSW Retirement Village Residents Association, 40 per cent of respondents from 120 villages reported experiencing some form of abuse, including harassment, intimidation, and patronisation—primarily from other residents but also from management.

Some residents described the bullying as so unbearable that it led to depression and thoughts of suicide. Many isolated themselves in their homes, resulting in a decline in their health.

There have also been numerous accounts from residents and their families sharing distressing stories about life in retirement villages.

Many have reported being left with so little that they cannot afford aged care rooms and are placed on waiting lists for government-subsidised placements.

compressed-shutterstock_631333409.jpeg
The case raised concerns about the retirement village industry, including complex contracts, high exit fees that encourage resident turnover, and insufficient regulation to safeguard residents' interests. Credit: Shutterstock

Another resident, John Van Putten, continues to live in a retirement village and feels financially trapped.

After his divorce, he purchased a unit in Tudor Village in Lilydale, Melbourne's east, in 2021, as he approached retirement.

However, within two years, he began to regret his decision as he observed the increasing monthly maintenance fees for residents, which cover village management and the costs associated with communal facilities.

‘If they're [rising by] 23 per cent this year, what can they do next year and the year after and the year after?’ he questioned.

He stated that he didn't want ‘to get trapped in this snowball effect’, so he decided to move out and relocate to a rental property while his house was on the market.

Pinnacle kept charging maintenance fees, but he claims that after 10 months, the house still hadn't sold for the price he wanted, and the expenses were piling up.

‘I can't afford to pay rent on one property and also pay maintenance fees here as well, so I moved back in,’ he shared.

He said that the total expenses for refurbishing and staging the property to enhance its appeal to potential buyers, along with sales fees, rent, and maintenance costs, amounted to $30,000.

‘They're not actually there to look after older people. It's a money-making business,’ John remarked.

In another statement, Pinnacle said, ‘To suggest we somehow provoke residents to leave at any point in time of their residence for money is offensive.’

The Retirement Living Council (RLC), a lobby group for village operators and part of the Property Council, stated that the industry has been established for 60 years and has created ‘wonderful communities for a quarter-of-a-million older Australians living around the country right now’.

The ABC inquired with RLC Executive Director Daniel Gannon about whether the exit fee structure commonly implemented in the industry incentivises operators to remove residents from their villages.

‘Certainly not [in] my experience,’ he said.

‘Certainly not the feedback that I hear in the market.’

‘This sector, for a long time, was focused on real estate and property is transitioning to providing wellness, care and support services—that continuum of care from independence when people move in at the age of 75 right through into when people might need more home care, they might need more care and support services to help these older Australians age in place in a retirement village,’ Gannon added.

He then went on to say that ‘research now shows that compared to people not living in retirement villages, people can be 41 per cent happier, 15 per cent more physically active’.

He stated that the industry aims for retirement villages to be environments where people feel secure.

According to him, the average cost of a two-bedroom unit in a retirement village is 43 per cent lower than that of homes in the conventional housing market when compared to the median house price in the same area.

However, for residents like John, there is a pressing need for increased regulation and better protections for those living in retirement villages.

‘You can't get out of it once you're in it,’ Gannon warned.

‘There's no way out unless you're prepared to take a heavy financial loss.’

As the troubling situation at Pinnacle Living unfolds, it highlights a broader concern facing retirees in gated villages across Australia.

Many residents are grappling with financial nightmares and exploitative practices, raising alarms about the land lease model prevalent in these communities.

The experiences shared by those living in retirement villages reveal alarming trends that warrant attention, shedding light on the pressing need for reform and greater protection for seniors.

These revelations not only underline the individual struggles faced by residents like Maurine but also call into question the sustainability and ethics of the retirement living industry as a whole.
Key Takeaways

• Maurine Moore, a 90-year-old resident of a Pinnacle Living retirement village, experienced what she described as ‘reckless harassment’ regarding her smoking within the village leading to severe stress and contemplation of suicide.
  • After a smoking ban was enforced, Maurine was repeatedly threatened with eviction and forced to comply with costly demands to clean her unit due to alleged 'putrid stench' of smoke.
  • Maurine eventually left the village under duress, signing a deed of settlement that undervalued her property, and denied her of any capital gain, despite significant appreciation of property values in the area over the time of her residence.
  • The case highlighted concerns about the retirement village industry, including complex contracts, high exit fees that incentivise ‘churning’ residents, and a lack of sufficient regulation to protect residents' interests.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Have you or someone you know experienced an ordeal similar to Maurine’s and John’s? We’d love to hear your stories and insights in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I hope many people read this article & give Pinnacle a wide berth. I saw Maurenne on the 7:30 Report and was absolutely flabbergasted. In my view Pinnacle was at fault in the first place re the flooding in her library room, if this had been attended to by Pinnacle then Maureen wouldn’t have had to go to VCAT. An absolute disgrace Pinnacle, all management should hang their heads in shame.

I would never, ever go into a retirement village. I saw what my father went through. He was a bit of an "I am" but that aside many of the residents were a lot wealthier than him and treated him badly. Also the fees kept climbing. He was there for 23 years. I stayed with him for a couple of weeks whilst my husband was away on business and I used the swimming pool. Someone complained that I should not have been there without his supervision. What I am an adult. I totally agree with the suggestion they want you out in a shoe time so they can re sell it. We were told to bring the whole place back to how it was when he moved in. I'm an only child and there was just me and my husband in the middle of the January heat in Queensland trying to clean walls inside and also were expected to clean the outside walls as well. After a couple of day I jacked up and sent them an email. I wasn't doing anymore it was totally ridiculous to expect that the condition be back to when it was sold to him after 23 years. They backed down. It is totally disgusting how people are treated and even if the experience is good the fees and charges are not

I hope many people read this article & give Pinnacle a wide berth. I saw Maurenne on the 7:30 Report and was absolutely flabbergasted. In my view Pinnacle was at fault in the first place re the flooding in her library room, if this had been attended to by Pinnacle then Maureen wouldn’t have had to go to VCAT. An absolute disgrace Pinnacle, all management should hang their heads in shame.
Not just Pinnacle, they are all the same. I have a friend who put her father in a place up here and then covid hit. He could not go anywhere then after covid they told her he wasn't fit enough to go on outings but would not refund the fees he had paid for these outings. Getting money under false pretences in my opinion

The govt. should step in here and make clear and reasonable rules concerning these villages. People in many cases do not understand that one does not buy the land, only the dwelling. The contracts are unclear and hard to understand, especially for the old. Going into one of these places, is like a death trap - once in, they've got you where they want you and you are ready to be robbed blind. The govt. needs to go through every one of these places - leaving no stone unturned - and quickly before more of us suffer. Can the govt. not come up with homes for the aged and run them properly?

The govt. should step in here and make clear and reasonable rules concerning these villages. People in many cases do not understand that one does not buy the land, only the dwelling. The contracts are unclear and hard to understand, especially for the old. Going into one of these places, is like a death trap - once in, they've got you where they want you and you are ready to be robbed blind. The govt. needs to go through every one of these places - leaving no stone unturned - and quickly before more of us suffer. Can the govt. not come up with homes for the aged and run them properly?
I am old and I said when this crap started it would be nasty. Said then I would not go into one. Government won't interfere much. These places are part of the capitalist chain. Make as much money as you can and help the government cut down on costs by pushing people to the limit so they die quickly and they can get another one in and the government has one less pension to pay for. Most people can't see it. They see the glossy ads and think how good it would be but it's all just a big con, a scam. People need to realise this

What a disgusting way to treat the elderly retirees in these villages. The Government must be more proactive in helping these people in situations as this. Their investment deserves proper protection and have none of these money grabbing developers ripping off their investment returns
Time for a Government enquiry into this industry. Bring it on Albonese and show some genuine support to the Australian community who have worked hard all their life for our Country.

We have been living in a "not for profit" RAAF village in Western Australia. We know exactly how much us or our estate will get on our departure. We also know that the amount will be paid in 90 days and there are no exit fees. All maintenance is paid for in our monthly fee and our total electricity bill for the year was under $800. We do our own meter reading (volunteers within the village) and we get at wholesale price. We have two fridges a small freezer a treadmill and two computers and we use our aircon whenever we please for heating or cooling. I am yet to meet one person in this village who does not say "this is the best thing we have done" We only pay contents insurance. Can honestly say we are actually saving more by being in here as we do not have upkeep of a home, home insurance or rates. We have been here 7 years and wish we had moved in a lot sooner to be quite honest. We both feel safe and secure and the companionship of others and functions we go to keep us involved in life. We also have a welfare officer who is just marvellous and is there to give you help in any way she can. The people complaining are living in "for profit" villages...We did look into them but decided on this village and no regrets at all. You must know what you are signing up for...we did!

When I first worked for a retirement village in 2000 it was like a family. Residents and staff were our best friends. Many of us smoked. I left after 20 years and still run into some Residents who say it's now all about profits and it has turned into a money making business and not about Residents welfare. Good old days were the best for all.

What is happening in a majority of Australia's retirement villages is another glaring example of corporate and/or shareholders' greed that feeds relentlessly on the most vulnerable in our society. There is an old adage that rightly points out that "the best proof of a country's greatness and integrity is how it treats its old people." Think of Singapore, Japan and the Netherlands.
In these countries, the government has implemented successful strategies for the care of citizens in their old age - the poor, as well as the rich - and, in general, the elderly are cherished, respected and cared for by the populace.

Emwick

They are lowlife, lower the shark shite, and are nothing but money-grabbing scabs.
I saw many people go through something similar to the point their health deteriorated in the village.
Meanwhile, the owners were racking in over $1 million each.
I would live on the street before I went into a retirement village.

While I absolutely do not agree or condone the way this lady was treated, and I hear what many of you are saying. I have to wonder how everyone would feel if she had been allowed to smoke and burnt the place down while everyone was sleeping.