From confusion to clarity: myGovID app gets a fresh new identity soon!

Navigating the digital landscape can be a bit of a maze, especially when it comes to keeping track of all the different government services and apps.

However, there's good news on the horizon for those of us who have been scratching our heads trying to differentiate between myGovID and the myGov services portal.

In a move that's set to simplify our digital experience, the Australian government has announced a significant change.

The Australian government’s digital ID app, myGovID, will be rebranded as ‘myID’ starting in mid-November.

This change is more than just a fresh coat of paint. It's a strategic decision aimed at eliminating the confusion that has surrounded these two separate entities.

For many, especially those who didn't grow up with a smartphone in hand, distinguishing between similarly named services can be unnecessarily complicated.

The upcoming rebranding to myID is a welcome step towards making digital government services more user-friendly and accessible.

Screenshot 2024-09-26 080355.jpg
The Australian government's digital ID app, myGovID, will be rebranded as ‘myID’ to avoid confusion with the myGov services portal. Credit: myGovID

The transition to myID will be seamless, delivered as an app update through the App Store or Google Play.

‘When myGovID changes to myID, users won’t need to do anything differently,’ the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) stated.

‘Existing users will not need to set up a new myID.’

‘Login details and the user’s identity strength level set up in myGovID will stay the same and users can continue to use the app in the same way to securely access participating government online services,’ they added.

The decision to rebrand was one of the recommendations from the Critical National Infrastructure myGov User Audit report released in January 2023.

The myGovID app, which will soon be known as myID, enables users to verify their identity online without repeatedly sharing personal documents like passports, birth certificates, and driver’s licences.

Login details and identity strength levels established in myGovID will remain intact, and the app's functionality will continue as usual, allowing secure access to over 150 government online services.

As we anticipate the new look and name, the ATO has also issued a warning to be vigilant against impersonation scams.

‘Scammers can make fake websites or apps that look just like myGovID or myID,’ the ATO cautioned.

‘Only download the myGovID (soon myID) app from the official app stores (Google Play and the App Store).’

‘Don’t click on suspicious links, open attachments or download any files from suspicious emails or SMS; we will never send an unsolicited SMS that contains a hyperlink,’ they continued.
Key Takeaways
  • The Australian government's digital ID app myGovID will be rebranded as ‘myID’ to distinguish it from the myGov services portal.
  • This change, scheduled for mid-November, aims to eliminate confusion and will be implemented through an app update.
  • Existing myGovID users will not need to create a new account for myID, and their login details and identity strength level will remain unchanged.
  • The ATO advised users to be vigilant for impersonation scams and to only download the app from official sources, while never clicking on unsolicited links.
We'd love to hear your thoughts on this change. Have you used myGovID before, and do you think the rebrand to myID will make a difference in your digital dealings? Share your experiences and insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
They are working towards the TOTAL CONTROL of us. Just another step... 'one small step for mankind, a great leap into CONTROL'
In the end they will know EXACTLY the minute detail of what we are doing in live time.... mark my words. The following video was made in 2018 so yo can imagine where they are now....we are only scraping the surface....

"This change, scheduled for mid-November, aims to eliminate confusion"
As far as I can see it will do nothing but add to the confusion.
To think we pay these public servants and politicians good salaries for WHAT???
I suppose they need to to tax us more through control to keep boosting their income.

I think this Going to cause more confusion some eldly cannot keep up now with all the changes you can’t go to the bank anymore they are just finance houses centre link is not much better just about everything has to be done on a smart phone or computer, where does that leave people who cannot navigate these things it is going too fast and leaving many people behind.

They are working towards the TOTAL CONTROL of us. Just another step... 'one small step for mankind, a great leap into CONTROL'
In the end they will know EXACTLY the minute detail of what we are doing in live time.... mark my words. The following video was made in 2018 so yo can imagine where they are now....we are only scraping the surface....

Must be awful living in constant fear, paranoid behaviour like yours needs attention.

Must be awful living in constant fear, paranoid behaviour like yours needs attention.
I must agree with IAN3005, this is how it started in China look at it now. The ID must be used EVERYWHERE including social media and you say one thing out of line or against the Govt. and they punish them quickly and in many ways, restricting travel type and even where they can travel too. Check it out and become informed not apathetic.

COMMUNISTS LOVE TO CONTROL PEOPLE IN THIRD/FOURTH WORLD COUNTRIES, SO DOES THIS STUPID FEDERAL GOVERNMENT GIVING AWAY MILLIONS TO TERRORISTS AND DEMANDING EVERYONE
BE MORE OPENED UP TO SCAMMERS
NO WONDER AUSTRALIA IS FAST GOING BACKWARDS
Giving money to terrorists and demanding we be opened up to scammers - Excuse me but that’s a bit far fetched! WOW!!!!

I am more confused now than ever before. I don't have these things on my phone will this change happen to the computer version of MyGov, will I need to download these apps for my phone, I really don't understand all these app things.

I am more confused now than ever before. I don't have these things on my phone will this change happen to the computer version of MyGov, will I need to download these apps for my phone, I really don't understand all these app things.
Hope not as I am in the same boat.

Reactions: Littleboy8

This is a HUGE concern, yes all about control and this myGovID is another way of control, along with trying to make us a cashless society. I worry for my sons future and I thank God I grew up in a much better time, without the World wide web and smart phones!!

Anyone that laughs at this video will unfortunately be in for a shock when it becomes reality. Its like the scamdemic COVID where all it is is nothing more than a bad flu, my son had to have that damn jab to keep his job, I pray he never develops serious heart issues as he already has issues with it, another example of control and most just agreed with it!

The people in China should be banding together and refusing to tolerate this, they can kiss their freedom goodbye!

Reactions: Rickcb63
It’s about time they fixed it. I have worked with computers and even progtamming for 30 years and consider myself technically competent, however the MyGovID set up was a dog’s dinner. No actually that’s a bit unfair…some dog’s dinners are really quite ok.
I agree. I also worked with computers and programming for decades and I have never seen worse software than that used by the Australian government for critical tasks. I can't even log in to MyGovID without it incorrectly claiming - over and over again - that I have not identified myself correctly.

As for the ATO - a few years ago I acted for my mother to appeal a decision to heavily tax a lump sum payment of overdue pension entitlements. She received the lump sum because ComSuper had ''forgotten to respond to an application and forgotten to pay her"!!! (Probably a computer failure!). It took 9 months and over 1800 pages of correspondence for the ATO to tell me all appeal avenues had been exhausted and she had to pay. Then, within 2 hours of that advice, an ATO senior employee phoned me to say he had discovered that the computer was wrong. A programming error had led to the computer outputting data that did not match with the regulations. She owed nothing. My response was to ask how many people would have just paid without having the knowledge and patience to go through 9 months and 1800 pages of appeal? Certainly, my mother would have just paid the unfair bill - which was in the tens of thousands!

MyGov already knows everything about us, even if nobody uses their app or website to log-in.
Anyway, I added the mobile app last week because it works to link all the relevant services together. After adding my info for my identity strength level, I'm classed as a 'standard' and can't achieve a 'strong' identity. However, if I was an immigrant they would be classed as 'strong' because they possess an ImmiCard and Visa (foreign passport). Anyway, I guess it's not too bad being classed as a 'standard' Aussie.

Reactions: PattiB and Rickcb63