Status
Not open for further replies.

Fresh reports claim that Djokovic is being investigated by three countries over travel while unvaccinated — here’s how Aussies are reacting

Fresh reports claim that Djokovic is being investigated by three countries over travel while unvaccinated — here’s how Aussies are reacting
Judge Anthony Kelly may have handed down Novak Djokovic's visa cancellation verdict but the federal government still has the power on whether the world number 1 will be allowed to stay in the country, legal experts say.

It’s said that Federal Immigration Minister Alex Hawke is currently weighing whether he will exercise "the personal power of cancellation" on Novak's appeal to stay in Australia.

IAKbU7r-ouXlmRQu4prMu_RAZSn_0bAUSk0MhF-ar47OKzEcVJ0XUtvvG8pUpJHdEEWqEgg-FokwyTGEDtmX_o8UORK3ZPLhkGCFux-p3PM1vllhhE7OanrU5FJ4xN8Gro8cQrw

Legal experts said that the final decision on whether Djokovic will be allowed to stay in Australia is up to the federal government. Credit: AAP Image.

Government lawyer Christopher Tran said that if the Immigration Minister would decide to cancel the tennis star's visa, it would mean that he would be unable to return to Australia for three years.

Radio broadcaster Neil Breen said that there's a huge possibility that Mr Hawke will cancel Djokovic's visa, noting that the move would spark another legal challenge.

“There is word the Govt will cancel Novak Djokovic’s visa today - and that will lead to this scenario. His legal team will file an injunction, which will be heard tomorrow. Djokovic will be drawn to play in Oz Open as top seed,” he said.

“Injunction will be granted - case heard next week."

“He will then play, meaning he could be thrown out mid-tournament if the court upholds Minister’s decision. Fun times ahead.”

Political journalist Paul Bongiorno also predicted that the minister will overturn the ruling at the Federal Circuit Court on Monday.

“I am hearing @AlexHawkeMP will boot out the Joker tomorrow,” he tweeted.

It comes after fresh reports on Djokovic’s alleged quarantine breach in multiple countries emerged.

Spanish publication COPE reported that the Spanish authorities are investigating the tennis star over his arrival in the country to train for the Australian Open, claiming that agencies are looking into whether Djokovic entered the country illegally.

Tennis journalist Ben Rothenberg revealed that Spains’s immigration policy for “unvaccinated tourists” stipulates that they are not allowed to enter the country unless they prove that they are “essential” workers.

Fellow tennis reporter Gaspar Ribeiro Lanca tweeted: “Breaking news: COPE reports that the Spanish Government is now investigating whether unvaccinated Novak Djokovic entered the country illegally in late December.”

“Since September 20, citizens from Serbia need a vaccine certificate OR a special exemption to enter Spanish territory but so far the authorities say they did not receive any request from Djokovic.”

This means that the athlete is also being investigated by his home country for breaking quarantine protocols to attend an interview and a photoshoot even after testing positive.

On Wednesday, Djokovic released a statement on Instagram admitting that he knowingly attended an interview and photo-shoot with French newspaper L’Equipe while Covid-positive, saying that he “didn’t want to let the journalist down” and calling it an “error of judgment”.

Credit: Instagram/@djokernole

The full statement read:

“I want to address the continuing misinformation about my activities and attendance at events in December in the lead up to my positive PCR COVID test result.

This is misinformation which needs to be corrected, particularly in the interest of alleviating broader concern in the community about my presence in Australia, and to address matters which are very hurtful and concerning to my family.

I want to emphasise that I have tried very hard to ensure the safety of everyone and my compliance with testing obligations.

I attended a basketball game in Belgrade on 14 December after which it was reported that a number of people tested positive with COVID 19.

Despite having no COVID symptoms, I took a rapid antigen test on 16 December which was negative, and out of an abundance of caution, also took an official and approved PCR test on that same day.

The next day I attended a tennis event in Belgrade to present awards to children and took a rapid antigen test before going to the event, and it was negative.

I was asymptomatic and felt good, and I had not received the notification of a positive PCR test result until after that event.

The next day, on 18 December I was at my tennis centre in Belgrade to fulfill a long-standing commitment for a L’Equipe interview and photoshoot. I cancelled all other events except for the L’Equipe interview.

I felt obliged to go ahead and conduct the L’Equipe interview as I didn’t want to let the journalist down, but did ensure I socially distanced and wore a mask except when my photograph was being taken.

While I went home after the interview to isolate for the required period, on reflection, this was an error of judgement and I accept that I should have rescheduled this commitment.

On the issue of my travel declaration, this was submitted by my support team on my behalf – as I told immigration officials on my arrival – and my agent sincerely apologises for the administrative mistake in ticking the incorrect box about my previous travel before coming to Australia.

This was a human error and certainly not deliberate. We are living in challenging times in a global pandemic and sometimes these mistakes can occur.

Today, my team has provided additional information to the Australian Government to clarify this matter.

While I felt it was important to address and clarify misinformation I will not be making any further comment out of utmost respect for the Australian Government and their authorities and the current process.

It is always an honour and a privilege to play in the Australian Open. The Australian Open is much-loved by players, fans and the community, not just in Victoria and in Australia, but around the globe, and I just want to have the opportunity to compete against the best players in the world and perform before one of the best crowds in the world.”

Meanwhile, Aussies have been voicing out their opinions on Djokovic’s apparent entitlement to enter the country despite government protocols on unvaccinated people.

One such commentary that gained attention was the leaked conversation between 7News Melbourne presenters Rebecca Maddern and Mike Amor.

In the leaked conversation, Rebecca was heard saying: “Whatever way you look at it, Novak Djokovic is a lying sneaky a***hole.”

To which Mike Amor responded with: “He got a bulls**t f***ing excuse and then fell over his own f***ing lies. It's just what happens, right, that's what happened.”

OYhJc5KJImG2MNhqLlHduv8mXMSQTcs5ViBkSWynGC-7RmudzTC0xDY3U2jw68DraGjKeAfxTYpHAEasHu_89Pgkfq1y2VhMr-7BRXvfuNRarmQcpoIbCdrxLlAWxIy6Gd3LYuI

A mole leaked a private conversation between news presenters Rebecca Maddern and Mike Amor about Djokovic’s visa mishap. Credit: Seven.

While the leaked conversation was criticised by the fans of the tennis star, Aussies defended the newsreaders, arguing that they were just saying what every other Australian wants to say about the matter.

One Facebook user wrote: "She just said what everyone else was thinking."

"Good on them. It was a private conversation and they only said what most of the Australian public think," another agreed.

Others said that the newsreaders 'had every right' to share their opinion.

One Aussie wrote: "I actually don't see a problem with it. She was having a conversation with someone not knowing it would be put out there."

"She has an opinion. Agree or don't agree with her, [but] she is entitled to her opinion," another added.

A third chimed in: “She’s not wrong!”

3t06xgwsoiqdexUgZ9skNqzq8ivzYWekJe40ESUWD8JR-cFqKtF5-15I2b9V-YtTsCk1ekl_Obzo0ma4FrgZxs_GzD26mYQmKG3oHOvPSd6Fckl2WE0q_wLFYYe5S1ceYYNhQWo

eaII4sAShQBOvhJPZSDYbx76Grj8GjshqJLEcAd93aqtd77lJxXAXvqUjZABO_dka6hOLSGAg727K6eps_QGQuCyYKfM6GRhVcxw_t2AG7mCbXB9CSAVdnQX_KoVN-hDvs5j9pA

tF5Bq2by6mH3ir8JmAZo3PHAhEAmQbhFT7nhU2km1JhDFaOGLz6BgdpjMh8ioIyZIJHRFHc6FrUf_bz2UTIVQdYtA9gbT0q88xgqUHmBw1P-SPS_PR8VgA5WqPk5cGKTKmYq5TE

9f5rth18kSibEkqHpjJkjRFZNc4ULGCDw5zENouk7chO3Rax8NQ3lNWRJ4jnLJTdn0C6XmQQhgdpCbgB2G710Nm2iObHJB3pExaWs-dNbCMXF8lNxPFrY1CGD-BHE-c3nDKe7bI

bTloIrI95HTjC5S75aTp9T5mZMRqwinemvr3lSfgJrhoHTeYy_C9lTVkPwFnLLViRxjE9ZbUPpfr0xD8En2EWtCBv0kJkR-4qLOgNmwwW7XgkXslO54V3muvNvoDIsdcu2DcJPA

oZstyxS2fqx--GZs108UGy27sjTUdEPdeqW_omFBO3jxQk_vNzo6CM24AkLeBv00U5-6ADQk9xZeZMRxqEfpdO6enPmp19Pqt17M1osgziHA-5VXGAJR3c3RBi1HeuTy3cBIQHU

NCzk308FHy1myrt1Fib7IoV-ZbbtlBGhVCXEnmtpwKqVluWcjK2cHSMTrLi9yy2qsaNi07P-KiCEboFm7zB3wFTAvVyQDSffexAIkC5e-gFKycOHvKrjvZBfWMPBvEmWUXfQobk

Credit: Facebook

Channel Seven said that they are currently tracking down the mole responsible for leaking the duo's hot mic rant, assuring that the person would be dealt with.

'The illegal recording was of a private conversation between two colleagues,' Seven's Director of News and Public Affairs Craig McPherson said.

Sponsored
Novak is proving he thinks he is above the law because of his perceived status.
He attended a photo shoot while suffering Covid infection in his own country.
It seems he visited Spain while no-vaxed, therefore illegally.
His visa application states he did not travel within 14 days of coming to Australia.
Novak states it's human error, made by his staff who filled out the form.
I assume Novak would have had to sign it, therefore, he should have checked it.....no excuse.
Doubt has also been cast in whether he actually suffered a second bout of Covid in December.
If he didn't, it displays he will go to any lengths to serve his own purposes, including lying.
Australian authorities.....be fair to everyone.
No favouritism please.

Novak is proving he thinks he is above the law because of his perceived status.
He attended a photo shoot while suffering Covid infection in his own country.
It seems he visited Spain while no-vaxed, therefore illegally.
His visa application states he did not travel within 14 days of coming to Australia.
Novak states it's human error, made by his staff who filled out the form.
I assume Novak would have had to sign it, therefore, he should have checked it.....no excuse.
Doubt has also been cast in whether he actually suffered a second bout of Covid in December.
If he didn't, it displays he will go to any lengths to serve his own purposes, including lying.
Australian authorities.....be fair to everyone.
No favouritism please.
Either way he is a lying, cheating, sneaky person of poor character who does not deserve a visa.

Ok, he tried it on and got caught out. He should now go quietly with his tail between his legs. However due to his own perceived status that is unlikely to happen. He may be the worlds number one BUT that is only in tennis which is a game. Nobody is above the law despite what he obviously thinks.:mad:

Either way he is a lying, cheating, sneaky person of poor character who does not deserve a visa.
Yes, yes, yes ... He was good enough when he donated thousands of dollars to the victims of the Victoria fires, and now he is a liar and everything else.
Where was YOUR Morrison at the time? Enjoyed swimming in Hawaii ..
Or, what are the equal rules for Barnaby caught having sex in his office?
Shame on you...double standards haters

This applies to everyone who comments with a negative connotation for Novak !!!
Why not admit that you are very jealous of a boy from Serbia, a small but proud country in the Balkans, who proved to be G.O.A.T. overcoming the crying Federer and the one who always has a problem with his panties, Nadal.
All that is happening with Nole is just a cheap political game and diverting the attention of Australians from the daily problems surrounding the accumulated crises which are unsolvable for the incompetent Morrison who wants to improve his rating through Nole.

Reactions: Gaena
This applies to everyone who comments with a negative connotation for Novak !!!
Why not admit that you are very jealous of a boy from Serbia, a small but proud country in the Balkans, who proved to be G.O.A.T. overcoming the crying Federer and the one who always has a problem with his panties, Nadal.
All that is happening with Nole is just a cheap political game and diverting the attention of Australians from the daily problems surrounding the accumulated crises which are unsolvable for the incompetent Morrison who wants to improve his rating through Nole.
I'm sorry but I couldn't be less jealous of a man who is so self centered that he thinks he is above everyone else. The whole idea of getting a vaccination is to protect you, AND everyone you come into contact with, from catching this damned virus. I don't care if he is from Serbia, Australia, Timbuctoo or the moon. He is so sure that he is right that he is fully prepared to take on the Australian Government and therefore the whole of Australia. He was giving out trophies to Serbian youth when he was infectious, he gave interviews when he was infectious, he travelled to and through a third country when he was infectious. What gives him the right? Yes, Australia has its back against the wall at the moment and therefore could do without any other problems taking our eye off the ball. I would have thought that contracting the virus twice would have been enough incentive to get the jab. He was lucky, being extremely fit and healthy he got better, I hope those he came into contact with were similarly lucky.

Yes, yes, yes ... He was good enough when he donated thousands of dollars to the victims of the Victoria fires, and now he is a liar and everything else.
Where was YOUR Morrison at the time? Enjoyed swimming in Hawaii ..
Or, what are the equal rules for Barnaby caught having sex in his office?
Shame on you...double standards haters
So Barnaby was quite severely punished, Scomo cut his leave short, NoVax Dropkick can haul his backside out of the country!

I'm sorry but I couldn't be less jealous of a man who is so self centered that he thinks he is above everyone else. The whole idea of getting a vaccination is to protect you, AND everyone you come into contact with, from catching this damned virus. I don't care if he is from Serbia, Australia, Timbuctoo or the moon. He is so sure that he is right that he is fully prepared to take on the Australian Government and therefore the whole of Australia. He was giving out trophies to Serbian youth when he was infectious, he gave interviews when he was infectious, he travelled to and through a third country when he was infectious. What gives him the right? Yes, Australia has its back against the wall at the moment and therefore could do without any other problems taking our eye off the ball. I would have thought that contracting the virus twice would have been enough incentive to get the jab. He was lucky, being extremely fit and healthy he got better, I hope those he came into contact with were similarly lucky.
What standards, laws and rights are we talking about here?
Whether for the rights shown by Morrison sunbathing in Hawaii while half of Victoria was on fire, or for those of Barnaby who led a love affair in his office.
Are these the equal rights of Australians or does it apply to untouchable politicians like the incompetent Morrison and Barnabine?
Be objective and admit that this is a perfidious polytheistic game just to divert attention from the accumulated problems with the Covid crisis

So Barnaby was quite severely punished, Scomo cut his leave short, NoVax Dropkick can haul his backside out of the country!
Just to ask ...
How much money did you donate to the Victoria fires, and then find out how much money the person you call Dropkick donated?
How much money did you give for something human and do you respect the basic human rights at all, and especially the right to your own opinion and choice.
Novak is one to whom the whole world should worship when it comes to humanity.

• Wow
Hey everyone!

We all love a great debate and love everyone sharing their opinions. That being said, once name-calling and nastiness begin we have to unfortunately lock comments. We encourage you to share your opinions of course but please remain civil and kind to one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else

Latest Articles

• We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×