Frequent flyer reveals mortifying detail in Qantas business lounge

As the golden age of air travel seems to be soaring into the sunset, many of our seasoned jet-setters are finding that the once-luxurious experiences they've come to expect are now riddled with disappointments.

The latest turbulence comes from a frequent flyer who expressed his dismay over the declining standards at Qantas, particularly highlighting a mortifying detail in their business lounge that has left him, and undoubtedly others, red-faced.

The Qantas International Business Lounge at Sydney International Airport, once a haven for the weary traveller seeking a touch of class and comfort, has come under fire for its less-than-stellar condition.

A frequent flyer shared his shock at the state of the lounge's furniture, which he described as 'just embarrassing'.

His grievance represents the most recent in a series of criticism aimed at the national airline, highlighting a perceived deterioration in Qantas' overall standards, as described by critics.

They said they had been a ‘Lifetime Gold Qantas frequent flyer for the better part of 20 years’, but ‘stopped flying with them [regularly] a long time ago’ due to their ‘increased costs and declining service’.

compressed-shutterstock_1616006617.jpeg
A frequent flyer criticised Qantas International Business Lounge at Sydney International Airport due to its poor state. Credits: Shutterstock

The images he provided showed lounge chairs that were worn down, ragged, and stained—a far cry from the premium environment one would expect.

'I experienced this in November last year, and again in January—absolutely disgusting,' he lamented.

‘I was so shocked at the state of the furniture... I took the same flight again in February, and specifically went to the lounge again to see if they had changed the furniture—nothing had changed!’

Comparing his experiences with other international carriers, the flyer said that could not believe ‘how bad the level of Qantas has gotten, while their prices are ridiculous compared to other international airlines’.

A Qantas spokesperson acknowledged the need for updates and confirmed that the chairs in question were removed just in February.

‘The Sydney International Business Lounge is being updated as part of a program which has, so far, seen 30 new and 70 refreshed armchairs and stools added. We’re also replacing the dining chairs this week,’ they said.

This was reportedly part of a $100 million investment aimed at enhancing customer comfort.

However, it's not only the lounge chairs that have been the subject of complaints. One customer expressed dissatisfaction with finding a business class seat ‘stained with the prior passenger's tenure’ recently.

This traveller's experience is not an isolated incident as another passenger recently expressed disgust over the quality of service on two separate flights with them.

The airline announced a slight drop in half-year profit to $1.25 billion in February.

Qantas’ new Chief Executive Officer, Vanessa Hudson, recognized the need for improvement, stating they are doing ‘a lot of work to lift our service levels’.

The airline, which was once a symbol of Australian pride, has been the subject of widespread criticism, even earning a Shonky Award from consumer advocacy group CHOICE for being the 'spirit of disappointment'.

As frequent flyers share their experiences and observations about the details within Qantas' business lounges, ranging from amenities to service quality, it's evident that customer feedback plays a pivotal role in shaping airline policies.

The scrutiny over even the minutest aspects underscores the high expectations that loyal patrons have for their travel experiences.

With Qantas facing scrutiny over various elements of its services, from lounge amenities to onboard offerings, it's intriguing to note how customer backlash can prompt significant changes in airline operations and amenities, as seen in recent developments.
Key Takeaways

• A frequent flyer criticised the poor state of Qantas International Business Lounge at Sydney International Airport as 'absolutely disgusting'.
  • Despite being a Lifetime Gold Qantas frequent flyer, the traveller was disappointed with the airline's increased costs and declining service.
  • Qantas confirmed that the lounge chairs in question were removed, and the lounge is being updated, including a total refresh as part of a $100 million investment in customer comfort.
  • Qantas was one of the most complained about companies in Australia last year, with the 'spirit of disappointment' echoed by travellers, and a Shonky Award from consumer advocacy group CHOICE.
Have you noticed a decline in standards, or have you had positive experiences that buck the trend? Your stories are valuable, and by sharing them, we can help ensure that the voices of seasoned travellers are heard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
Yes, we have Qantas membership and it seems that when the leprechaun left he took all the upgrades with him. None have been refurbished in years, and the amount of people using the lounges and the treatment they are getting is no wonder that they are so shoddy. I was pulled up walking into a lounge one time last year and the concierge on the door told me I could not come in wearing rubber thongs, taken aback, I told her they were not rubber thongs and she proceeded to come out from around her station and inspect my footwear. I get inside after my inspection and there are kids running riot and guys wearing boardshorts all wearing thongs.

Reactions: Ezzy