Free RAT rollout to concession cardholders pushes through amidst calls from pharmacists that supplies won’t keep up with demand

Now we are a day late to this one, folks! As you may already know, millions of Australians are now eligible for free rapid antigen tests (RATs) starting Monday the 24th of January (yesterday).

Concession card holders — such as pensioners, veterans, and low-income earners — are entitled to up to 10 free RATs in a three-month period, with a maximum of five tests in a month.

However, pharmacists warned that supply shortages will cause pharmacies to struggle to meet the demand as RAT stock instantly sells out as soon as fresh deliveries arrive.

jceC3MFvy89aKIwB4r8mtHIATp_zhY6QCTP7jakDfXT3czjzEmkZgav5BaeNNCEs1c1Z-qr8Tz8tfS4zU0elbNhjh6dj-XxYVGG6I_mnc9wKGVT252HC4-i_160nT-2evC1bEjc

Free RAT rollout to concession cardholders will push through amidst calls from pharmacists that they are struggling with supply shortages. Credit: ABC News/Danielle Bonica.

Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA) Chris Freeman revealed that pharmacies had to hire extra staff just to cope with the huge number of enquiries they receive every day.

Dr Freeman said: "They're reporting that they're receiving at least four calls per minute in relation to getting access to these rapid antigen tests."

"The demand is extreme and pharmacists are being pushed to the limit with this at the moment."

It should be noted that earlier this month, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that over 6 million Australians who are concession cardholders will be given access to free RATs, with the national cabinet agreeing to reimburse $10 and provide GST and an additional $4.30 handling fee to pharmacists for every RAT they provided to those who are eligible under the new scheme.

However, PSA said that supplies of the tests cannot meet the demand, suggesting that a $15 price tag per test would be more appropriate.

Dr Freeman said: "Those tests are extremely rare at the moment, which does push up the price — so the $10 plus GST [reimbursement] is a challenge, in terms of making sure that the pharmacies can buy them in at a price equal or lower to that."

The group also pointed out that reimbursements take up to a month to be given back to the pharmacy.

"If you're purchasing quite a number of these tests, you might be out of pocket substantially for a month while you're waiting for those reimbursements to come in," Dr Freeman said.

"In the ideal world, we would have these tests supplied into pharmacies from government, rather than the pharmacists themselves trying to source the supply."

g21YH-KtJt2E_AyAUx2h3_4lVPnmxKqd9NsgE7jF4ejybwhGSTQZGX96BSBMPHLjvfpgF2g0Ypw586-DJ579L3Ndl7_77fXy4n6S6Soqe8gujp_w0nUP3lKumZ0jtiLq5Kl7m10

Pharmacists said that RATs sold out as soon as stocks are delivered to pharmacies. Credit: ABC News/Sean Wales.

The federal government has insisted, however, that the national cabinet would regularly review the reimbursement rate, ensuring that the reimbursements would keep up with the price for RATs.

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce pointed out that hoarding was one of the culprits for the shortages of RATs.

"A lot of the time it's even corporations or businesses that are buying up more than they require, it's part and parcel," he said.

"Hoarding has been a factor and we've got to make sure we manage that."

"You manage by finding the problems and working your way through them."

Health Minister Greg Hunt said that 16 million tests are expected to be delivered to pharmacies
"between now and the end of January" and another batch of 33 million tests will be delivered next month, easing the huge demand.

Additionally, he emphasised that pharmacists are reserving RATs for vulnerable groups.

"We've worked with the Pharmacy Guild and what we're seeing is all the participating pharmacists are putting aside tests and I think that's really important," he said.

"I spoke to one pharmacy chain CEO yesterday … where they were expecting to have 500 packs of five tests available in the vast majority of their pharmacies which had been put aside specifically for pensioners, concession card holders, low-income healthcare cardholders and our veterans, and we're seeing that across the system."

Meanwhile, the federal opposition criticised the Commonwealth due to its lack of planning.

Shadow Health Minister Mark Butler said: "Remarkably, Scott Morrison says it's not his job to supply tests to the pharmacies in the first place."

"Yet again, refusing to take responsibility to deliver his own policy and pretending it's all someone else's job.

"Millions of Australia's pensioners and pharmacies will be left high and dry by another failure by Scott Morrison to just do his job."

Reactions: angie63
Sponsored
I live in a rural setting so I'm not in much of a hurry to get the RATS as I hardly come into contact with anybody. I will try to get a couple in about 3 weeks as I have some appointments in town but otherwise the situation doesn't really bother me.

I don't need them right now. One of these days, they will be freely available everywhere. If I do get symptoms, I'll go and test. People will panic buy from toilet paper to rice and now RATs.

Reactions: WendyP and Ricci
As a vulnerable age pensioner I asked my chemist to put me on a wait list and I bought 2 kits for $40, Yes I am now allowed them free but I need the protection of having them here as I don't drive or can get to a testing centre. I feel sorry for the country people what are they going to do, if city folk take all the supplies which are limited anyway. I feel the Government has grossly mishandled this whole RAT thing.

They mention free to Pension/concession card holders,
what about Senior card holders?
They should be made available to us also.
I think, and I could be wrong, senior card holders are eligible. Just ask your local pharmacist.

Reactions: Ricci
It is sad to see me, ME, ME at the front line of everything. "As long as I have a RAT then nobody else matters." That Morrison Who most CERTAINLY has at least one in his bathroom cabinet says it is no concern of his, is remarkable. There should have been planning for all this as soon as the possibility emerged and there wasn't. Feel sorry for those who have lost out. It isn't their fault.

Free RAT rollout to concession cardholders pushes through amidst calls from pharmacists that supplies won’t keep up with demand

Now we are a day late to this one, folks! As you may already know, millions of Australians are now eligible for free rapid antigen tests (RATs) starting Monday the 24th of January (yesterday).

Concession card holders — such as pensioners, veterans, and low-income earners — are entitled to up to 10 free RATs in a three-month period, with a maximum of five tests in a month.

However, pharmacists warned that supply shortages will cause pharmacies to struggle to meet the demand as RAT stock instantly sells out as soon as fresh deliveries arrive.

jceC3MFvy89aKIwB4r8mtHIATp_zhY6QCTP7jakDfXT3czjzEmkZgav5BaeNNCEs1c1Z-qr8Tz8tfS4zU0elbNhjh6dj-XxYVGG6I_mnc9wKGVT252HC4-i_160nT-2evC1bEjc

Free RAT rollout to concession cardholders will push through amidst calls from pharmacists that they are struggling with supply shortages. Credit: ABC News/Danielle Bonica.

Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA) Chris Freeman revealed that pharmacies had to hire extra staff just to cope with the huge number of enquiries they receive every day.

Dr Freeman said: "They're reporting that they're receiving at least four calls per minute in relation to getting access to these rapid antigen tests."

"The demand is extreme and pharmacists are being pushed to the limit with this at the moment."

It should be noted that earlier this month, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that over 6 million Australians who are concession cardholders will be given access to free RATs, with the national cabinet agreeing to reimburse $10 and provide GST and an additional $4.30 handling fee to pharmacists for every RAT they provided to those who are eligible under the new scheme.

However, PSA said that supplies of the tests cannot meet the demand, suggesting that a $15 price tag per test would be more appropriate.

Dr Freeman said: "Those tests are extremely rare at the moment, which does push up the price — so the $10 plus GST [reimbursement] is a challenge, in terms of making sure that the pharmacies can buy them in at a price equal or lower to that."

The group also pointed out that reimbursements take up to a month to be given back to the pharmacy.

"If you're purchasing quite a number of these tests, you might be out of pocket substantially for a month while you're waiting for those reimbursements to come in," Dr Freeman said.

"In the ideal world, we would have these tests supplied into pharmacies from government, rather than the pharmacists themselves trying to source the supply."

g21YH-KtJt2E_AyAUx2h3_4lVPnmxKqd9NsgE7jF4ejybwhGSTQZGX96BSBMPHLjvfpgF2g0Ypw586-DJ579L3Ndl7_77fXy4n6S6Soqe8gujp_w0nUP3lKumZ0jtiLq5Kl7m10

Pharmacists said that RATs sold out as soon as stocks are delivered to pharmacies. Credit: ABC News/Sean Wales.

The federal government has insisted, however, that the national cabinet would regularly review the reimbursement rate, ensuring that the reimbursements would keep up with the price for RATs.

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce pointed out that hoarding was one of the culprits for the shortages of RATs.

"A lot of the time it's even corporations or businesses that are buying up more than they require, it's part and parcel," he said.

Health Minister Greg Hunt said that 16 million tests are expected to be delivered to pharmacies
"between now and the end of January" and another batch of 33 million tests will be delivered next month, easing the huge demand.

Additionally, he emphasised that pharmacists are reserving RATs for vulnerable groups.

"We've worked with the Pharmacy Guild and what we're seeing is all the participating pharmacists are putting aside tests and I think that's really important," he said.

"I spoke to one pharmacy chain CEO yesterday … where they were expecting to have 500 packs of five tests available in the vast majority of their pharmacies which had been put aside specifically for pensioners, concession card holders, low-income healthcare cardholders and our veterans, and we're seeing that across the system."

Meanwhile, the federal opposition criticised the Commonwealth due to its lack of planning.

Shadow Health Minister Mark Butler said: "Remarkably, Scott Morrison says it's not his job to supply tests to the pharmacies in the first place."

"Yet again, refusing to take responsibility to deliver his own policy and pretending it's all someone else's job.

"Millions of Australia's pensioners and pharmacies will be left high and dry by another failure by Scott Morrison to just do his job."
Lies Lies Lies..........we can NOT get a RAT in North Hobart or the CBD or other major suburbs in Tasmania. It is all Lies Lies Lies. 15 Jan 2022

More goverment spin I'm afraid, I don't believe even pharmacists will sell to pensioners ahead of normal customers, they make double or more profit from selling to non pensioners.;)

Reactions: Daisy W. and Ricci
We reside in close country and have a hell of a job getting the RAT - we are inundated by city folk looking to get the RAT. We need to request that the city folk go to their locals for supplies - we country folk are entitled to supplies as well.
We have similar in the Barossa being an hour or so out of town. When the toilet paper fiasco was on we had mini busloads & carloads coming up and emptying shelves of everything. Local authorities brought in a rule you had to show licence with local address. That worked well. Maybe you could suggest similar for the chemist, you need police there for a day or 2 until the out of towners get the message. Good luck

I am in the susceptible group, so having a RAT kit in my home would be reassuring.
I rang a few Chemists yesterday.....none of those have been provided with supplies.
If I had symptoms, I wouldn't want to have to wait for hours in a queue.
I am not driving at the moment following orthopaedic surgery....will be another 6 months before I am driving, and I have no family in this state.
I heard on the news last night that of the 6,000 Chemists, only 800 had received stock for Pensioners.
Doesn't sound very responsible to me.
I understand it's Seniors Health Card holders who are eligible, not Seniors Card holders, according to Scott Morrison.

• Sad
Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I think, and I could be wrong, senior card holders are eligible. Just ask your local pharmacist.
Sorry, but they are only available to Pensioner/ Health card holders, NOT senior card holders.
That way the government can control the issue of the RATs to vulnerable people

• Angry
  • Sad

oh dear Scott, yet another faux pas...

My dr is sure that I have covid and to do a test. What a joke, I went to every pharmacy in town and not one test to be had. Going to the test station was out of the question as there were about 49 cars waiting in line. I am too sick to be sitting in the line for what would have been many hours. Just went home.

• Sad
We have lost sight of the rabbit. Instead of politicians and pharmacy organisations playing the blame game, how about we all cooperate and solve the problem.
As a retiree with respiratory issues, I purchased one × 2 pack at $30 and my wife will use one test today as required by a specialist she is seeing tomorrow.
We have tried to access the free ones but the pharmacist tells us he has stock of the pay for ones, so like others, we have added our names to a list of concession holders
As of tomorrow we will have been waiting a week since 24th January and still nothing.
Worthy of note is that schools all have the test kits but we oldies, bad luck.
As an accountant the pharmacy reps explanation of holding out for more money does not make sense.
Right now they are not getting a cent from government in the hope that pensioners etc. will pay full price.
The government offer of $10 plus $4.30 per test seems reasonable considering that an assistant will take details
and hand over the test. How long would that take and at what incremental cost to the business?
I'm prepared to argue the fixed cost and possible stepped cost of running a pharmacy, so stop the banter and all parties recognise that if they are not part of the solution, they are part of the problem,

I have registered with a chemist, he has my card details and phone number and will ring when supplies come in this week. They are only available from Monday 1st in Qld. I am an aged pensioner.

My local pharmacy says they are not participating in the govt’s scheme of free RAT to concession holders but they will sell me five tests for $75!

• Wow