Former The Project Host David Hughes Reveals Confrontation Over Contentious Joke

Former The Project star David 'Hughesy' Hughes had a rather scary run-in this week on Sydney's Bondi Beach with two men who had a bone to pick with him about a joke made on the show.

The incident arose from a gag that comedian Reuben Kaye had made two days prior on The Project's panel about Jesus, which offended many religious groups.

Hughesy revealed that as he was leaving the beach on Monday, a 'big, muscly bloke' had recognised him and asked him if he was from The Project.

This man then confronted him with the bizarre question, 'You against Jesus? If you are, I'm going to bash you!'

At this point, Hughesy had to expend some effort to make the stranger understand that he was no longer a part of The Project, having left ten years ago and that he definitely wasn’t the person who made the comment.

dave-hughes-1.png

After taking a dip at the beach, David ‘Hughsey’ Hughes described how he was approached and questioned regarding a contentious joke. Credit: Instagram/David Hughes.

He even went as far as to tell the man he is a Christian.

Hughesy shared: ‘I said I went to a CBC, which is a Christian Brothers college. I said I've taken the Eucharist.’

In an unexpected twist, the man then asked Hughesy for his contact details.

‘I gave him my number, yeah,’ he continued.

‘I thought I’d better give him the right number because he’ll ring it straight away.’

‘Now he has my number, that guy.’

It has since been reported that this 'bloke' is aligned with the anti-LGBTQI Christian Lives Matter group, who had led a rally of around 30 people down a busy street in nearby Newtown last Friday.

His radio co-host, Erin Molan, expressed her reservations about what transpired, saying no one is allowed to threaten harm to another, regardless of belief.

‘I don’t think threatening to bash anyone at any stage is ever okay, despite the loyalty,’ she said.

Key Takeaways

• David 'Hughesy' Hughes has revealed he was accosted by two large men on a busy Sydney beach over a joke told on The Project.
  • The joke made by the comedian Reuben Kaye on the show sparked widespread outrage.
  • Hughesy convinced his 'fans' he was a Christian man by telling them he was Catholic and had taken the Eucharist.
  • Hughesy's radio co-host Erin Molan said threatening to bash someone 'is never okay, despite the loyalty'.

It is our responsibility to uphold our beliefs and values, but we should also acknowledge the significance of respecting the opinions and faith of others.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club believe that everyone has the freedom of opinion and the freedom to express it in a non-threatening way.

What are your thoughts on this incident, folks? Share them with us in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Former The Project star David 'Hughesy' Hughes had a rather scary run-in this week on Sydney's Bondi Beach with two men who had a bone to pick with him about a joke made on the show.

The incident arose from a gag that comedian Reuben Kaye had made two days prior on The Project's panel about Jesus, which offended many religious groups.

Hughesy revealed that as he was leaving the beach on Monday, a 'big, muscly bloke' had recognised him and asked him if he was from The Project.

This man then confronted him with the bizarre question, 'You against Jesus? If you are, I'm going to bash you!'

At this point, Hughesy had to expend some effort to make the stranger understand that he was no longer a part of The Project, having left ten years ago and that he definitely wasn’t the person who made the comment.

dave-hughes-1.png

After taking a dip at the beach, David ‘Hughsey’ Hughes described how he was approached and questioned regarding a contentious joke. Credit: Instagram/David Hughes.

Hughesy shared: ‘I said I went to a CBC, which is a Christian Brothers college. I said I've taken the Eucharist.’

‘I thought I’d better give him the right number because he’ll ring it straight away.’

It has since been reported that this 'bloke' is aligned with the anti-LGBTQI Christian Lives Matter group, who had led a rally of around 30 people down a busy street in nearby Newtown last Friday.

His former The Project co-host, Erin Molan, expressed her reservations about what transpired, saying no one is allowed to threaten harm to another, regardless of belief.

‘I don’t think threatening to bash anyone at any stage is ever okay, despite the loyalty,’ she said.

Key Takeaways

• David 'Hughesy' Hughes has revealed he was accosted by two large men on a busy Sydney beach over a joke told on The Project.
  • The joke made by the comedian Reuben Kaye on the show sparked widespread outrage.
  • Hughesy convinced his 'fans' he was a Christian man by telling them he was Catholic and had taken the Eucharist.
  • Hughesy's co-host Erin Molan said threatening to bash someone 'is never okay, despite the loyalty'.

It is our responsibility to uphold our beliefs and values, but we should also acknowledge the significance of respecting the opinions and faith of others.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club believe that everyone has the freedom of opinion and the freedom to express it in a non-threatening way.

What are your thoughts on this incident, folks? Share them with us in the comments below.

I don't believe a word of it, but then I didn't believe a word uttered by this man when he was associated with that nonsensical program "the Project" either.

We are all entitle to choices and be respected for what we choose, in turn we should respect others also.
It’s not nice to make fun or criticise other people believes or anything else.
Today, “freedom of speech“ seems to give the “right” to anyone say what they feel or think 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
Just as you have here.

And not well, either ...
Not sure if your post was for Mr Chips or to myself. Either way, I can’t understand what you meant. English is not my first language and sometimes I can’t get it, sorry 😊

dave-hughes-1.png

His former The Project co-host, Erin Molan, expressed her reservations about what transpired, saying no one is allowed to threaten harm to another, regardless of belief.

Key Takeaways

• Hughesy's co-host Erin Molan said threatening to bash someone 'is never okay, despite the loyalty'.

Beliefs and religion are each one’s choice. No one can say they are right and you are not. Treat everyone with respect.

Reactions: Mr Chips
I will defend another person's right to their opinion even if I do not agree with it. This has happened between me and my husband when someone has asked us to sign a local petition over a matter and I have agreed but my husband has not and when the person with the petition suggested I should do something to change his mind I sparked up and defended his right to his opinion even though I disagreed with him and he has done the same for me.