Former The Project Host David Hughes Reveals Confrontation Over Contentious Joke

Former The Project star David 'Hughesy' Hughes had a rather scary run-in this week on Sydney's Bondi Beach with two men who had a bone to pick with him about a joke made on the show.

The incident arose from a gag that comedian Reuben Kaye had made two days prior on The Project's panel about Jesus, which offended many religious groups.

Hughesy revealed that as he was leaving the beach on Monday, a 'big, muscly bloke' had recognised him and asked him if he was from The Project.

This man then confronted him with the bizarre question, 'You against Jesus? If you are, I'm going to bash you!'

At this point, Hughesy had to expend some effort to make the stranger understand that he was no longer a part of The Project, having left ten years ago and that he definitely wasn’t the person who made the comment.

dave-hughes-1.png

After taking a dip at the beach, David ‘Hughsey’ Hughes described how he was approached and questioned regarding a contentious joke. Credit: Instagram/David Hughes.

He even went as far as to tell the man he is a Christian.

Hughesy shared: ‘I said I went to a CBC, which is a Christian Brothers college. I said I've taken the Eucharist.’

In an unexpected twist, the man then asked Hughesy for his contact details.

‘I gave him my number, yeah,’ he continued.

‘I thought I’d better give him the right number because he’ll ring it straight away.’

‘Now he has my number, that guy.’

It has since been reported that this 'bloke' is aligned with the anti-LGBTQI Christian Lives Matter group, who had led a rally of around 30 people down a busy street in nearby Newtown last Friday.

His radio co-host, Erin Molan, expressed her reservations about what transpired, saying no one is allowed to threaten harm to another, regardless of belief.

‘I don’t think threatening to bash anyone at any stage is ever okay, despite the loyalty,’ she said.

Key Takeaways

• David 'Hughesy' Hughes has revealed he was accosted by two large men on a busy Sydney beach over a joke told on The Project.
  • The joke made by the comedian Reuben Kaye on the show sparked widespread outrage.
  • Hughesy convinced his 'fans' he was a Christian man by telling them he was Catholic and had taken the Eucharist.
  • Hughesy's radio co-host Erin Molan said threatening to bash someone 'is never okay, despite the loyalty'.

It is our responsibility to uphold our beliefs and values, but we should also acknowledge the significance of respecting the opinions and faith of others.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club believe that everyone has the freedom of opinion and the freedom to express it in a non-threatening way.

What are your thoughts on this incident, folks? Share them with us in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Former The Project star David 'Hughesy' Hughes had a rather scary run-in this week on Sydney's Bondi Beach with two men who had a bone to pick with him about a joke made on the show.

The incident arose from a gag that comedian Reuben Kaye had made two days prior on The Project's panel about Jesus, which offended many religious groups.

Hughesy revealed that as he was leaving the beach on Monday, a 'big, muscly bloke' had recognised him and asked him if he was from The Project.

This man then confronted him with the bizarre question, 'You against Jesus? If you are, I'm going to bash you!'

At this point, Hughesy had to expend some effort to make the stranger understand that he was no longer a part of The Project, having left ten years ago and that he definitely wasn’t the person who made the comment.

dave-hughes-1.png

After taking a dip at the beach, David ‘Hughsey’ Hughes described how he was approached and questioned regarding a contentious joke. Credit: Instagram/David Hughes.

Hughesy shared: ‘I said I went to a CBC, which is a Christian Brothers college. I said I've taken the Eucharist.’

‘I thought I’d better give him the right number because he’ll ring it straight away.’

It has since been reported that this 'bloke' is aligned with the anti-LGBTQI Christian Lives Matter group, who had led a rally of around 30 people down a busy street in nearby Newtown last Friday.

His former The Project co-host, Erin Molan, expressed her reservations about what transpired, saying no one is allowed to threaten harm to another, regardless of belief.

‘I don’t think threatening to bash anyone at any stage is ever okay, despite the loyalty,’ she said.

Key Takeaways

• David 'Hughesy' Hughes has revealed he was accosted by two large men on a busy Sydney beach over a joke told on The Project.
  • The joke made by the comedian Reuben Kaye on the show sparked widespread outrage.
  • Hughesy convinced his 'fans' he was a Christian man by telling them he was Catholic and had taken the Eucharist.
  • Hughesy's co-host Erin Molan said threatening to bash someone 'is never okay, despite the loyalty'.

It is our responsibility to uphold our beliefs and values, but we should also acknowledge the significance of respecting the opinions and faith of others.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club believe that everyone has the freedom of opinion and the freedom to express it in a non-threatening way.

What are your thoughts on this incident, folks? Share them with us in the comments below.

Therefor this big fellow is nothing more than a gutless hypocrite..... "Do unto others as you expect to do unto you"

dave-hughes-1.png

His former The Project co-host, Erin Molan, expressed her reservations about what transpired, saying no one is allowed to threaten harm to another, regardless of belief.

Key Takeaways

• Hughesy's co-host Erin Molan said threatening to bash someone 'is never okay, despite the loyalty'.

If I think the joke is funny I'll post it

I wouldn’t have given anyone threatening me my phone number. The man obviously doesn’t watch the show or he would have known that Hughes wasn’t on it anymore. My mum used to say two things you don’t argue about are politics and religion because they are the two that start a war. I don’t know what the joke was but I saw a petition this morning that want the show closed because it offended some people. 30,000 had signed it so far.

dave-hughes-1.png

Key Takeaways

The actions of the " big hairy muscley guy" are about as un-Christian as you can get. What a hypocrite. What happened to turn the other cheek? It was a bad taste joke. If the media stopped rehashing it then it might just go away and die with all the other hundreds of bad taste jokes that have been made over the years.

I wouldn’t have given anyone threatening me my phone number. The man obviously doesn’t watch the show or he would have known that Hughes wasn’t on it anymore. My mum used to say two things you don’t argue about are politics and religion because they are the two that start a war. I don’t know what the joke was but I saw a petition this morning that want the show closed because it offended some people. 30,000 had signed it so far.
Smart move by Hughsey to give out his number because the brainless idiot that was threatening him with violence was then traceable as soon as a call was made. As far as the petition numbers are concerned "let he without sin cast the first stone". Hope you are all ashamed of yourselves for trying to stop his right to free speech.

Therefor this big fellow is nothing more than a gutless hypocrite..... "Do unto others as you expect to do unto you"
Never forget that True Christians burnt heretics at the stake, after torturing them so that they would recant their heresy before being burnt. Hughsey was lucky!

And if my comment should offend any "Christian" readers, clearly the truth must hurt.

Interesting discussion over here! I'd either have frozen on the spot, high-tailed it out of there, or lashed out (which is never a great idea)... what would you have done in a similar situation?

Reactions: Ricci
Never forget that True Christians burnt heretics at the stake, after torturing them so that they would recant their heresy before being burnt. Hughsey was lucky!

And if my comment should offend any "Christian" readers, clearly the truth must hurt.
Don't be silly, that was before Bob Hawke became prime minister!

Reactions: Ricci
I found the joke , the hosts reactions and what appeared to be an apparently extremely insincere apology very offensive. Opinions are fine and are to be respected. Respect being the operative word, scant respect was shown in this entire incident. If one wants to be respected one should always treat others with respect.

Reactions: Jennie and Ricci

dave-hughes-1.png

Key Takeaways

Religion is up to the persons whom believe in it believe in what you won't but don't shove it down my throat it's a story that's been told through the age's yet my beliefs are simple one's no mention of dinosaurs in any religious book and I believe in that we are not alone yes aliens exist further more in the bible mankind was started with Adam and Eve well incest is a way of life no thank you

Reactions: PepeLePew
I remember the days when a joke was exactly that. I also remember the days when PC wasn’t a thing. Oh bring back those days. We are all becoming a bit too precious. I was also brought up not to discuss politics or religion as it was a personal thing. The world would be a much better place if everyone had the same policy. How are we all supposed to get along with each other if we can’t poke fun at each other in a light hearted way.

We are all entitle to choices and be respected for what we choose, in turn we should respect others also.
It’s not nice to make fun or criticise other people believes or anything else.
Today, “freedom of speech“ seems to give the “right” to anyone say what they feel or think 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: Mr Chips