Former radio host Alan Jones responds to indecent assault allegations: ‘Seriously defamatory’

Content Warning: This article mentions indecent assault and other themes that may be distressing for some readers. Discretion is advised.

In a shocking turn of events, Alan Jones, one of Australia's most influential broadcasters, has been accused of indecently assaulting young men during his illustrious career.

The allegations, published by The Sydney Morning Herald, have sent shockwaves through the Australian media industry.

However, Jones, through his lawyers, has categorically denied these allegations.

Alan Jones has been a prominent figure in the broadcasting industry for over three decades.

From 1985 to 2020, he hosted shows at 2UE and 2GB, earning a reputation as a powerful and influential broadcaster. His career has been marked by his fearless approach to tackling tough topics and his unwavering commitment to truth and justice.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 075718.png
Alan Jones denied the allegations he indecently assaulted young men. Credit: Alan Jones/Facebook

The allegations against Jones are serious and involve multiple individuals—including a former 2GB employee, a waiter, an aspiring musician, and a young businessman who has since passed away.

Each individual has made claims about Jones' inappropriate behaviour towards them.

A former employee of the station, who wished to remain anonymous, told the media, ‘He cannot die without people knowing what he’s done.’

It is worth noting that none of the allegations have been reported to the police.

In response to these accusations, Jones has ‘vehemently’ denied any wrongdoing.

His lawyers at Mark O'Brien Legal have stated, 'Our client denies ever having indecently assaulted the persons referred to in your letter, and your suggestion that he has is scandalous, grossly offensive and seriously defamatory of him.'

His representative and law firm have been contacted by the media for a comment.

In 1988, Jones was charged with ‘outraging public decency’ and ‘committing an indecent act’ in a public restroom in London. The charges were dismissed, and his professional life remained unimpacted.

He retired in May 2020 from his 2-decade-long top-rating radio show on 2GB due to health reasons and hosted The Alan Jones Program on Sky News Australia. He left the network in 2021.

The following month, he revealed his decision to become part of Alan Jones: Direct to the People in ADH TV, a newly established conservative online media network located in central Sydney.

Ben Fordham, Jones' successor at 2GB, addressed the allegations on air, stating, ‘We have reached out to Alan this morning to tell his side of the story. He has already offered a denial to The Sydney Morning Herald.’

‘Alan knows better than anyone that we don’t shy away from challenging topics, that’s why we’re talking about this case here and now. The story that’s been published today doesn’t just impact Alan Jones, it also impacts a number of people who’ve made allegations against him, including a former staffer from 2GB,’ he continued.

'This is not an easy topic for us to cover here at 2GB because there [are] serious allegations involving someone who called this place home for nearly 20 years,’ he added. ‘But as Alan knows better than anyone, we don’t hide around here from tough topics.’

Fordham reminded his listeners that Jones is innocent until proven guilty, saying: ‘They are denied by Alan Jones. You would have heard me say this many, many times on this program, and I'll say it again—the accused is innocent until proven otherwise. And we would underline that.’

You can watch 7News Australia’s coverage here:

Key Takeaways
  • Alan Jones, a former host at 2GB, ‘vehemently’ denies allegations that he indecently assaulted young men during his broadcasting career.
  • The allegations against Jones were brought forward by multiple people, including a former 2GB employee, a young businessman, an aspiring musician, and a restaurant waiter.
  • 2GB host Ben Fordham, Jones' successor, addressed the allegations, reminding listeners that Jones is considered innocent until proven guilty.
  • A spokesman for Jones' lawyers termed the allegations scandalous, grossly offensive and seriously defamatory.

What are your thoughts on these allegations, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
So here is the thing, if it was one person then just maybe and Im saying maybe, it was made up. But 4 people I don't think so.

I remember when Rolf Harris was accused everyone was saying , No he wouldn't have done it," Innocent until proven guilty , etc . And he was and was found guilty.

In today's society, people are made feel more comfortable to come out with allegations like this.

I have always thought he looked like a creep

On his morning show, Hadley addressed the allegations made by four men in the Sydney Morning Herald, saying his long-term working relationship with Jones was 'severed' after one of the 82-year-old's accusers, who uses the pseudonym Bradley Webster, confided with him during a private meeting.

I regard this man not as an attention seeker or someone who seeks notoriety - but rather directly the opposite,' he said.

'The behaviour he was alleging was unwanted sexual advances from a person in power, that person being his boss Alan Jones.'

Hadley said he had offered to be Webster's 'support person' at 2GB and speak to the then-station owner and chairman about his allegations.

'He told me at the start of our conversation that what he was alleging had never been shared with anyone except for me that day,' he said.

'He asked for my complete assurance that I would not share the story with anyone unless he expressly gave me permission.'

In the next 40 minutes I sat silently as he went through the allegations documented in today's story, interrupted only by his tears as he tried to compose himself.

'As a fierce supporter for anyone who finds themselves in this type of situation, my support and actions are always guided by the alleged victims.

'If they ask me not to pursue the matter I respect their wishes.'

Hadley's comments followed those made by 2GB breakfast host Ben Fordham - Jones' successor in the job - who said the talkback host would be considered innocent until proven guilty.

Last edited:
Content Warning: This article mentions indecent assault and other themes that may be distressing for some readers. Discretion is advised.

In a shocking turn of events, Alan Jones, one of Australia's most influential broadcasters, has been accused of indecently assaulting young men during his illustrious career.

The allegations, published by The Sydney Morning Herald, have sent shockwaves through the Australian media industry.

However, Jones, through his lawyers, has categorically denied these allegations.

Alan Jones has been a prominent figure in the broadcasting industry for over three decades.

From 1985 to 2020, he hosted shows at 2UE and 2GB, earning a reputation as a powerful and influential broadcaster. His career has been marked by his fearless approach to tackling tough topics and his unwavering commitment to truth and justice.

View attachment 36786
Alan Jones denied the allegations he indecently assaulted young men. Credit: Alan Jones/Facebook

The allegations against Jones are serious and involve multiple individuals—including a former 2GB employee, a waiter, an aspiring musician, and a young businessman who has since passed away.

Each individual has made claims about Jones' inappropriate behaviour towards them.

A former employee of the station, who wished to remain anonymous, told the media, ‘He cannot die without people knowing what he’s done.’

It is worth noting that none of the allegations have been reported to the police.

His lawyers at Mark O'Brien Legal have stated, 'Our client denies ever having indecently assaulted the persons referred to in your letter, and your suggestion that he has is scandalous, grossly offensive and seriously defamatory of him.'

In 1988, Jones was charged with ‘outraging public decency’ and ‘committing an indecent act’ in a public restroom in London. The charges were dismissed, and his professional life remained unimpacted.

He retired in May 2020 from his 2-decade-long top-rating radio show on 2GB due to health reasons and hosted The Alan Jones Program on Sky News Australia. He left the network in 2021.

The following month, he revealed his decision to become part of Alan Jones: Direct to the People in ADH TV, a newly established conservative online media network located in central Sydney.

Ben Fordham, Jones' successor at 2GB, addressed the allegations on air, stating, ‘We have reached out to Alan this morning to tell his side of the story. He has already offered a denial to The Sydney Morning Herald.’

‘Alan knows better than anyone that we don’t shy away from challenging topics, that’s why we’re talking about this case here and now. The story that’s been published today doesn’t just impact Alan Jones, it also impacts a number of people who’ve made allegations against him, including a former staffer from 2GB,’ he continued.

'This is not an easy topic for us to cover here at 2GB because there [are] serious allegations involving someone who called this place home for nearly 20 years,’ he added. ‘But as Alan knows better than anyone, we don’t hide around here from tough topics.’

Fordham reminded his listeners that Jones is innocent until proven guilty, saying: ‘They are denied by Alan Jones. You would have heard me say this many, many times on this program, and I'll say it again—the accused is innocent until proven otherwise. And we would underline that.’

Key Takeaways

• Alan Jones, a former host at 2GB, ‘vehemently’ denies allegations that he indecently assaulted young men during his broadcasting career.
  • The allegations against Jones were brought forward by multiple people, including a former 2GB employee, a young businessman, an aspiring musician, and a restaurant waiter.
  • 2GB host Ben Fordham, Jones' successor, addressed the allegations, reminding listeners that Jones is considered innocent until proven guilty.
  • A spokesman for Jones' lawyers termed the allegations scandalous, grossly offensive and seriously defamatory.

What are your thoughts on these allegations, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

He has a track record in london " In December 1988 Jones was charged with outraging public decency after he was arrested in a London public toilet."

W
He has a track record in london " In December 1988 Jones was charged public decency after he was arrested in a London public toilet."
Was he found Guilty? If he was he would have been incarcerated. Therefore he does not have a track record. Accusation does not equal guilt. What did you do in 1988 that we can say you have a track record of? What grubby things could we uncover about you and point the finger at? Perhaps Alan Jones should sue you for defamation as well. "Judge not, lest you be judged."

W

Was he found Guilty? If he was he would have been incarcerated. Therefore he does not have a track record. Accusation does not equal guilt. What did you do in 1988 that we can say you have a track record of? What grubby things could we uncover about you and point the finger at? Perhaps Alan Jones should sue you for defamation as well. "Judge not, lest you be judged."
And money and being a High profile person changes things. I'm guessing you are an Alan Jones fan

W

😳😡

Am I correct to assume that these alleged victims were not children at the time of the alleged misconduct?

W

I think he got off on a lesser charge , it was some time ago ,so my memory could be a little vague.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
He has a track record in london " In December 1988 Jones was charged with outraging public decency after he was arrested in a London public toilet."
As a "victim" of a male on male sexual assault as a 14 year old in a South Cronulla Beach public toilet on a miserable rainy day in July 1974. The perpetrator was totally naked, of African persuasion and bigger and stronger than myself. I was lucky to get away. My hatred of homosexuals goes way beyond plain homophobia - it is a downright genuine and overt hatred and I'm not afraid to admit it. You may ask "victim". This person was "ready to go" by the look of his state of sexual arousal, but I managed to squirm out of his grasp and run. Usain Bolt wouldn't have caught me.

For those who say there is no correlation between homosexuality and pedophilia, get your heads out of the sand. I have read hundreds of academic papers on the subject with the majority supporting this theory. But until you experience it first hand, you will never know.

As for public toilets, I can't stand them, this being the primary reason, not to mention other disgusting things you find in them.

Reactions: Leenie

View attachment 36786

Key Takeaways

such a pity that you have to plaster it over here. as stated proof is required.

As a "victim" of a male on male sexual assault as a 14 year old in a South Cronulla Beach public toilet on a miserable rainy day in July 1974. The perpetrator was totally naked, of African persuasion and bigger and stronger than myself. I was lucky to get away. My hatred of homosexuals goes way beyond plain homophobia - it is a downright genuine and overt hatred and I'm not afraid to admit it. You may ask "victim". This person was "ready to go" by the look of his state of sexual arousal, but I managed to squirm out of his grasp and run. Usain Bolt wouldn't have caught me.

For those who say there is no correlation between homosexuality and pedophilia, get your heads out of the sand. I have read hundreds of academic papers on the subject with the majority supporting this theory. But until you experience it first hand, you will never know.

As for public toilets, I can't stand them, this being the primary reason, not to mention other disgusting things you find in them.
I also stay away from public toilets ,I find them mostly dirty ,having experience when my girls were toddlers,the filth some grubs leave behind is 🤕 sickening,you wonder what their homes are like.

Reactions: Veggiepatch

What a horrendous and traumatic experience for anyone let alone a child. Trauma like this negatively affect victims lives irreversibly. Traumatic just hearing about it. I think it has always been around - just not acknowledged. Who would create such evil? Lucky to the extent that you got away from the beast! High five! Care deeply x

What a horrendous and traumatic experience for anyone let alone a child. Trauma like this negatively affect victims lives irreversibly. Traumatic just hearing about it. I think it has always been around - just not acknowledged. Who would create such evil? Lucky to the extent that you got away from the beast! High five! Care deeply x
That's the thing. Early adolescence forms the basis of one's views on societal norms. Your experiences mold you into what you become in adult life. I call it the "formative years", probably a termed coined years ago by psychologists and psychiatrists alike. Hence my overt hatred of homosexuals and pedophiles plus a devout racist streak which I unfortunately experienced around the same age in Roselands Shopping Centre in Sydney. Don't get me wrong, there are nationalities and ethnicities which I adoringly embrace. Spanish, Italian, Scandinavian, Hungarian, English, Scottish, Canadian, Irish to name a few. All because I have had POSITIVE experiences with these cultures. So there!

Reactions: Leenie