Former Magnum food scientist incorrectly identifies dupe after a blind taste test — Is this the best-tasting budget ice cream?

Who doesn't love ice cream? This cold, sweet treat is a favourite among people of all ages, and there's nothing quite like a scoop (or two) of your favourite flavour in warm weather.

Lately, there's been a lot of buzz around Magnum ice cream, and it's no wonder why. This delicious brand offers a wide variety of flavours and styles to choose from, so there's something for everyone.

Plus, Magnum ice cream is made with high-quality ingredients, so you can feel good about indulging.

And while many people are enjoying this decadent treat, it can't be denied that Magnum ice cream can get quite pricey compared to its competitors.

If you're looking for an even more indulgent (budget-friendly) ice cream experience, you're in luck. Food scientists are hard at work developing new and innovative flavours that are sure to tantalise your taste buds.

So, what's the best alternative to Magnum you may ask? Well, one former food scientist has put Magnum dupes into a test...

Joe Avati, comedian and former food scientist, recently took on a blind taste test challenge to see if he could tell the difference between three different brands of ice cream and identify which one is the Magnum - a brand that he and his former colleagues brought to the country.

Avati was challenged by 2GB radio host Deborah Knight to try the Streets Magnum, Connoisseur brand, and ALDI version and then guess which was the real deal.

In a video posted on Instagram, the comedian took bites of each one of the ice cream brands.

Knight joked: 'Do you need water as a palate cleanser between bites? Like a wine taster.'

Avati agreed that in order to assess the flavours more fully, he probably should've drank water in between bites.

When asked to pick which one he believed to be the Magnum, the comedian failed miserably...

Avati claimed that he believed that the first one that he tasted was the Magnum. But the thing is, he didn't even come close.

In fact, he guessed that the ALDI ice cream was the real Magnum!

Knight revealed: 'Can I tell you, that is incorrect.'

'That was the ALDI ice cream. The ALDI advertisers are going to be saying they’ll use this clip because even the Magnum inventor thinks it’s the real thing!'

nJ1I8bZ-MMRhCAWNXHucHpzHPHkIk3xxrfz2MZF3mPZAWRPIPzMsBcVN3RnjEaEYsisnlKc_t9SAQ3maSEb3wugBFG5dXu43d-x0FMHoH3kt18bkyKe9D_ihudih85G5GGIWwy-RFkutTSHvFiJ8jA
rQwKMktcfyBOdEnqcn7a1b5Jl0c5upb9Lk2_E8Ifw9mg9VZm4kfmGSBRKUHAEWRJEQFCEhaa7TIW2499WcLSBhnIC6KampE1HEuHlRLrcHOsOHRNUQ6wh8TjKb_tGlBJAaBEL2T5pnD6nEybdpsJcw

Food-scientist-turned-comedian Joe Avati incorrectly identified Magnum dupe as the original. Credit: Instagram/Deborah Knight.

Needless to say, ALDI advertisers were thrilled with the result, with an Instagram profile belonging to the German retailer jokingly commenting: 'Well, you can’t argue with science!'

It should be noted that a four-pack of Monarc Utopia Vanilla ice cream from ALDI costs just $4.49, whereas a four-pack of Magnums from other stores costs $10.50.

Social media users were also quick to declare their love for the ALDI ice cream.

One user wrote: 'The ALDI Utopia is just the best. I buy them every week.'

'Guess what I’m getting tomorrow,' another said.

A third chimed in: 'Can’t beat ALDI Chocolate paddle pops value for money.'

It's clear that when it comes to taste and value, ALDI is the winner!

Have you tried these three ice cream brands? Which one do you think is the best of them? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I don’t shop at Aldi but if you are a lover of Drumstick and boysenberry ice cream give the Woolworths brand a try. They are amazing 🤩 and only $3.90 for a pack of 4. Admittedly they are a bit smaller than the Peters Drumstick but that makes them healthier, right ? 😆😆😆1547FCC1-3943-4BF8-ACA1-C648C4D550D2.png

Who doesn't love ice cream? This cold, sweet treat is a favourite among people of all ages, and there's nothing quite like a scoop (or two) of your favourite flavour in warm weather.

Lately, there's been a lot of buzz around Magnum ice cream, and it's no wonder why. This delicious brand offers a wide variety of flavours and styles to choose from, so there's something for everyone.

Plus, Magnum ice cream is made with high-quality ingredients, so you can feel good about indulging.

And while many people are enjoying this decadent treat, it can't be denied that Magnum ice cream can get quite pricey compared to its competitors.

If you're looking for an even more indulgent (budget-friendly) ice cream experience, you're in luck. Food scientists are hard at work developing new and innovative flavours that are sure to tantalise your taste buds.

So, what's the best alternative to Magnum you may ask? Well, one former food scientist has put Magnum dupes into a test...

Joe Avati, comedian and former food scientist, recently took on a blind taste test challenge to see if he could tell the difference between three different brands of ice cream and identify which one is the Magnum - a brand that he and his former colleagues brought to the country.

Avati was challenged by 2GB radio host Deborah Knight to try the Streets Magnum, Connoisseur brand, and ALDI version and then guess which was the real deal.

In a video posted on Instagram, the comedian took bites of each one of the ice cream brands.

Knight joked: 'Do you need water as a palate cleanser between bites? Like a wine taster.'

Avati agreed that in order to assess the flavours more fully, he probably should've drank water in between bites.

When asked to pick which one he believed to be the Magnum, the comedian failed miserably...

Avati claimed that he believed that the first one that he tasted was the Magnum. But the thing is, he didn't even come close.

'That was the ALDI ice cream. The ALDI advertisers are going to be saying they’ll use this clip because even the Magnum inventor thinks it’s the real thing!'

nJ1I8bZ-MMRhCAWNXHucHpzHPHkIk3xxrfz2MZF3mPZAWRPIPzMsBcVN3RnjEaEYsisnlKc_t9SAQ3maSEb3wugBFG5dXu43d-x0FMHoH3kt18bkyKe9D_ihudih85G5GGIWwy-RFkutTSHvFiJ8jA
rQwKMktcfyBOdEnqcn7a1b5Jl0c5upb9Lk2_E8Ifw9mg9VZm4kfmGSBRKUHAEWRJEQFCEhaa7TIW2499WcLSBhnIC6KampE1HEuHlRLrcHOsOHRNUQ6wh8TjKb_tGlBJAaBEL2T5pnD6nEybdpsJcw

Food-scientist-turned-comedian Joe Avati incorrectly identified Magnum dupe as the original. Credit: Instagram/Deborah Knight.

Needless to say, ALDI advertisers were thrilled with the result, with an Instagram profile belonging to the German retailer jokingly commenting: 'Well, you can’t argue with science!'

It should be noted that a four-pack of Monarc Utopia Vanilla ice cream from ALDI costs just $4.49, whereas a four-pack of Magnums from other stores costs $10.50.

Social media users were also quick to declare their love for the ALDI ice cream.

Have you tried these three ice cream brands? Which one do you think is the best of them? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

We have been buying these icecreams for a few years now. Although about 12 months ago we found that they were very icy. We stopped buying them for quiet a while as we thought they were probably trying to save money. Just started buying again and they've been fine. They are half the price of magnams.

We’ve been buying Aldi ice creams for years. We’ve tried most of the varieties, but at the moment we‘re having Aldi’s version of a drumstick once a week. We’ve tried the vanilla, boysenberry, chocolate and mint. All delicious!

Reactions: Ricci and Petra
Well this is a pickle. I love ice cream, but my hips dont.;);)
May have to forget the hips and go to Aldi. I do love a good Magnum, and the Connoisseur blood orange ones are sensational. But a bargain is a bargain. Look out hips, here goes.

Well this is a pickle. I love ice cream, but my hips dont.;);)
May have to forget the hips and go to Aldi. I do love a good Magnum, and the Connoisseur blood orange ones are sensational. But a bargain is a bargain. Look out hips, here goes.
I must try the blood orange ones. The Connoisseur Koko Black Honeycomb ones are totally amazing! Expensive, but I buy them when they're on special.

Reactions: Ricci and terri

Normally I never eat ice cream, I buy it for my husband. The last carton I bought him was from Aldi, I thought I would try a little taste and ended up eating more of it than my husband and he is still complaining about it ! Looks like I will have to get two cartons this week ! 😍

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci
Sorry to be so opinionated on this issue… but for my money, I’m always going to go for the Connoisseur brand (Blood Orange, Honeycomb, Salted Caramel Macadamia). They are ridiculously overpriced but when the half price specials are on (and that’s often), then it’s time to stock up.
The Aldi brand and Magnum are good, but in a different class.

Reactions: Ricci and Groovy
Sorry to be so opinionated on this issue… but for my money, I’m always going to go for the Connoisseur brand (Blood Orange, Honeycomb, Salted Caramel Macadamia). They are ridiculously overpriced but when the half price specials are on (and that’s often), then it’s time to stock up.
The Aldi brand and Magnum are good, but in a different class.
I love my Connoisseur ice cream too. Also just buy it when on sale. Yummy, thumbs up for it 👍🏼👍🏼

Reactions: Ricci