Former cricket star Tim May shares secret battle with prostate cancer

In cricket, few names resonate as strongly as Tim May. The former Australian cricketer, known for his economical bowling and ability to take crucial wickets, has been a stalwart of the sport, both on and off the field.

However, in a recent emotional interview, May revealed a different kind of battle he's been fighting—one against prostate cancer.

In a candid conversation with 7Cricket’s Damien Fleming and Peter Lalor, May opened up about his diagnosis, treatment, and the emotional rollercoaster he's been on since being diagnosed 12 months ago.

Since his diagnosis, he has undergone a comprehensive treatment regimen, including chemotherapy, radiation, and testosterone blockers.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 083506.png
Former cricketer Tim May talked about his prostate cancer diagnosis. Source: @7cricket/Instagram

The side effects of these treatments have been challenging, with May comparing his emotional state to a woman going through menopause.

'I get very teary at times, for no apparent reason,' he admitted.

Despite the physical and emotional toll, May remains hopeful and positive.

He recently received encouraging test results indicating that the cancer sites have all gone. However, he is aware that the battle is far from over.

'You never really say you’re cured of cancer, so the battle will continue,' he said.

May's story is a stark reminder of the importance of regular health check-ups and early detection. He expressed regret over not detecting the disease earlier, calling himself 's****d' for not doing so.

His message is clear: don't ignore your health, and don't delay check-ups.

Born in 1962, May's cricketing career began in South Australia's domestic circuit before his Test debut for Australia against England in 1987.

He played 24 Test matches for Australia, taking 75 wickets at an average of 34.74. He also played in 47 One Day Internationals (ODI) and was a member of Australia’s winning 1987 World Cup side.

After retiring from professional cricket, May contributed to the sport as an administrator.

He served as the CEO of the Federation of International Cricketers’ Associations (FICA), representing the interests of professional cricketers globally.

Prostate cancer is a common type of cancer in men, especially those over 60. The prostate is a small gland that produces seminal fluid in men. Prostate cancer occurs when abnormal cells develop in the prostate and start to grow uncontrollably.

Symptoms of prostate cancer can include difficulty urinating, blood in the semen, discomfort in the pelvic area, bone pain, and erectile dysfunction.

However, in its early stages, prostate cancer may not cause any symptoms, which is why regular check-ups are crucial.

According to the Cancer Council, it is estimated that over 25,400 men were diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2023, with an average age of diagnosis being 70 years old.

Treatment for prostate cancer can involve surgery, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, or a combination of these.

The side effects of these treatments can be challenging to deal with, as May's experience shows. They can include fatigue, pain, nausea, and emotional distress.

However, with early detection and appropriate treatment, many men with prostate cancer can continue to live fulfilling lives.

Tim May's story is a testament to this, and his openness about his journey is a powerful reminder of the importance of regular health check-ups and early detection.

If you want to learn more about the early detection of prostate cancer, visit Cancer Council’s website here.

You can also watch the full interview with Tim May here:

Source: @7Cricket/X(Twitter)​

Key Takeaways
  • Former Australian cricketer Tim May has opened up about his personal battle with prostate cancer and shared his experiences.
  • May has undergone a comprehensive treatment regime, including chemotherapy, radiation, and testosterone blockers, and has spoken about the side effects.
  • Despite the difficulties, May is optimistic following hopeful test results and is ready to continue his treatment plan for an additional 12 months.
  • In his candid interview, May expressed regret over not detecting the cancer earlier and hopes his story will encourage others to be more vigilant.

As May continues his battle against prostate cancer, his story serves as an inspiration to others facing similar challenges. His positive outlook, resilience, and determination are a testament to his character as a cricketer and person.

Do you know someone who faces the same battle as Tim May? Share your stories and well wishes in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
I think it is great Tim May is sharing his story , hopefully this will encourage men to have check-ups or go to their doctors if they have symptoms.

A question I want to ask men out their, why does it take so long to go to the doctors , even when you have symptoms for anything , even normal check ups and blood test .

My husband hates going to the doctors, he was so ill abd after so much pushing from me and my daughters he went only to find out his blood pressure was through the roof and he also found out he had Diabetes ( he is a careful and healthy eater)

Next is his prostrate which he has alot of those noted symptoms, including fatigue, constant urinating and if he tries holding it hurts and erectile dysfunction.

I think it is great Tim May is sharing his story , hopefully this will encourage men to have check-ups or go to their doctors if they have symptoms.

A question I want to ask men out their, why does it take so long to go to the doctors , even when you have symptoms for anything , even normal check ups and blood test .

My husband hates going to the doctors, he was so ill abd after so much pushing from me and my daughters he went only to find out his blood pressure was through the roof and he also found out he had Diabetes ( he is a careful and healthy eater)

Next is his prostrate which he has alot of those noted symptoms, including fatigue, constant urinating and if he tries holding it hurts and erectile dysfunction.
The good thing about King Charles talking about his prostate problems has increased 11fold the amount of men in the uk alone going to get there prostate checked. Just saw this on bbc news.😊

The good thing about King Charles talking about his prostate problems has increased 11fold the amount of men in the uk alone going to get there prostate checked. Just saw this on bbc news.😊
Yeh I saw that too. I have always been opened and shared things in my life including the sudden depression and anxiety I have suffered over the past 3 years and my eldest sons addiction to heroin when he was 17 to show others going through the same thing that they are not alone and to seek help

like many other men I can relate to Tim May's experience....having 6 weeks radiation therapy, hormone treatment, and all of the side effects for about 12 months and hopefully healthy again from prostate cancer, at least for the time being.....I was lucky it was identified early, yet aggressive, and the doctors seemed to approach the treatment of my disease based upon my age and other physical medical complications I suffer from. Like all men that have experienced prostate cancer I too would implore men over the age of 40 to get a prostate check up on a regular basis.....the earlier that it is detected the better results you will hopefully achieve for your health and well being. The check up procedure is simple guys......so please JUST DO IT.

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
like many other men I can relate to Tim May's experience....having 6 weeks radiation therapy, hormone treatment, and all of the side effects for about 12 months and hopefully healthy again from prostate cancer, at least for the time being.....I was lucky it was identified early, yet aggressive, and the doctors seemed to approach the treatment of my disease based upon my age and other physical medical complications I suffer from. Like all men that have experienced prostate cancer I too would implore men over the age of 40 to get a prostate check up on a regular basis.....the earlier that it is detected the better results you will hopefully achieve for your health and well being. The check up procedure is simple guys......so please JUST DO IT.
Why over 40 can’t they do it any younger 🤔

Why over 40 can’t they do it any younger 🤔
Yeah sure they can, if any guy is having problems down under at any age then they should go and talk to their doctor.......just don't try and ignore any issue you may be experiencing, the sooner you get the issue assessed and treated, the better for your overall health.

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
Yeah sure they can, if any guy is having problems down under at any age then they should go and talk to their doctor.......just don't try and ignore any issue you may be experiencing, the sooner you get the issue assessed and treated, the better for your overall health.
I was just wondering because my ex had problems for years before he got his checked.😊

Reactions: magpie1
My G.P. does regular checks for me via blood tests. Whenever a blood test is needed for something he'll look at the computer records & say, 'we haven't done this or that test for a while' & include it.

Why don't men get these things checked when they first become aware of the problem? Perhaps for the same reason we used to be told for years in the past, 'real men don't cry' or fear of the worst outcome or the old macho image. Whatever the reason; old traditions do die hard for some men.

My son-in-laws Grandfather died of this, but not before battling with the condition for many years having chemo. In the end he said, 'l've had enough treatment'. I saw him in his last days & he seemed content with his decision. May he RIP.