Former AFL star Anthony Rocca reveals health battle: ‘It’s hard for me to say it’

The Australian Football League (AFL) community has been shaken by the news that one of its most beloved figures, Anthony Rocca, is facing a significant health challenge.

The former Collingwood star, renowned for his powerful playing style and dedication to the game, has been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a type of cancer that affects the lymphatic system.

At 46, Rocca's diagnosis came as a shock to fans and fellow players alike.

The revelation was made public when Rocca, who played 242 games in his illustrious career, spoke candidly about the symptoms that led to his diagnosis.

photo_20240709_080405_0000.png
Collingwood star Anthony Rocca revealed his shocking cancer diagnosis. Credit: Wikipedia / Collingwood Forever Website

He described experiencing sharp, stabbing back pain at night, which was unusual and concerning enough to prompt him to seek medical advice.

The journey to his diagnosis began with a visit to Collingwood's team doctor, Dr Ruben Branson, and led to the discovery of his condition.

In an interview, Rocca expressed a determined attitude towards his illness, focusing on the treatment plan and the steps needed to overcome the condition.

'No one likes the dreaded “c” word…it is even hard for me to say it now,’ Rocca said.

‘No one likes to be told you have got that sort of illness. But I am the sort of person who deals with what is in front of me.’

‘When I found out, I was like, “How do we treat it?” “How do we deal with it?” “When can we get started on treatment? And what’s the plan?”’

Rocca has temporarily stepped down from his coaching role with the Northern Knights to focus on his health as he prepares to undergo six months of chemotherapy.

The support of his family—his wife Enza and children Mia and Max—will undoubtedly be a source of strength for him during this challenging time.

The AFL community has rallied around Rocca, with messages of support pouring in from former teammates, sports journalists, and fans.

Collingwood legend Tony Shaw and Channel 10 presenter Stephen Quartermain are among those who have voiced their encouragement.

‘Horrible news about Anthony Rocca's diagnosis. What a beautiful man. We are in this fight with you, mate. I know the club will have your back, and anything I can do to help, I’m there. To the extended Rocco family, we are only a call away for help,’ Shaw said.

‘Best of luck, Anthony. You’ll smash it! God speed,’ Quartermain said.

The good news amidst the concern is that Rocca's type of lymphoma is considered very treatable.

His doctors have provided a hopeful outlook, and Rocca remained positive.

‘I’ve been told it is quite a common lymphoma. It is Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma… it is very treatable,” he said.

‘I will hopefully get into chemo in the coming weeks, which will be a six-month situation.’

'The statistics tell us that it is very treatable. I’m feeling OK at the moment.'

In a similar story, Collingwood President Jeff Browne also revealed his cancer diagnosis, stating it is incurable.

He has undergone several chemotherapy cycles and is using his role at Collingwood and motivation to fight the disease. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Collingwood AFL legend Anthony Rocca has been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, a type of cancer.
  • Rocca experienced sharp, stabbing back pain at night, which prompted him to seek medical advice, leading to his diagnosis.
  • Despite the seriousness of the diagnosis, Rocca has been told that his condition is very treatable and he will undergo six months of chemotherapy.
  • The AFL community, including former teammates and journalists, have rallied behind Rocca, offering support and expressing their confidence in overcoming the illness.
We at Seniors Discount Club wish Anthony Roca a speedy recovery.

Have you or a loved one been affected by non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma or another type of cancer? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Members, we acknowledge that dealing with a disease like cancer isn’t easy. For those in need of support, please consider reaching out to services like Cancer Council at 13 11 20 or visit their website here.

Sponsored
been there done that. if you are going to get cancer this is the one they told me is fixable. alas mine is back in the blood 6 years later. good luck.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Dynamo