Former 60 Minutes journalist says the media coverage of her court case is ‘distressing’

Whenever a public figure is accused of a crime, their story will inevitably make headlines.

Such was the case for ex-60 Minutes journalist Tracey Curro, who set tongues wagging recently after being charged with common assault (domestic violence offence). This followed after she allegedly assaulted a relative during a family dispute in northeast Queensland on August 19, 2022.

Ms Curro's Defence Lawyer, Mathai Joshi, spoke to the media outside Townsville Magistrates Courthouse on Tuesday and revealed that his client intends to fight the charge.

He also voiced Ms Curro’s frustration with how the story has been twisted by the media, saying:

‘My client wishes to advise that it’s incredibly distressing and disappointing that a private family matter with an extensive history, which as a consequence has caused my client and her sister a loss of valuable time with her father, has now essentially been made public.’

1t1YSmhpuo5LeIusS2JuP90lQoVD9dEZc9UkJBd3L3_uOC3BxhzxucrMwOlbON6AnseimrZx_hu7Q38heM2XDJ1Wa1ZJud0BXy5FKYyJ5ZJoKETs800-h24VkWMAjhncomOcv3hKiKxKywFbNcKgbvi06GjxNGypIlMoHJ76szqa6b3RpQVt3NaAiA

The ex-journalist is upset by the media coverage of her case. Source: Townsville Bulletin

‘My client denies these allegations against her and she intends to provide a response once the proceedings are finalised.’

In a separate interview, Mr Joshi divulged that the care of Ms Curro’s elderly father, PJ, had ‘divided the extended family’.

‘My client’s elderly father, who she and her sister love dearly, legally appointed his daughters to care for him in his old age.’ he said.

Mr Joshi added that it wouldn’t be appropriate to discuss the case further while the matter was before the court.

Ms Curro said on October 1 that she remained ‘solely focused’ on caring for her father and ‘ensuring his final days are peaceful’.

urxXrxh8h2QmXKHOboDcPni5I9qZih-_gDForg-yRN4W92q9MT8S6PyrkDPzX9wAAekeAieb7bCjk2OyYwbMAw4kOY6GHinALOAij0IIuANMGhQ5FLoKCeo-TNCQWf3LTQJD_8GDOktnvqz0ml1vm_EXMCeAUc0NUZgIzX0rSKjma6ORKmABmaICoQ

Mr Joshi detailed his client’s wishes. Source: news.com.au

The former journalist worked for 60 Minutes for four years and with Nine Network for three.

She rose to fame after interviewing politician Pauline Hanson following the 1996 federal election when she asked the newly elected politician if she was xenophobic.

Ms Hanson responded with ‘please explain’, which went on to cause widespread ridicule and commentary about her views.

Ms Curro’s court proceedings will continue at Townsville Magistrates Court on October 28, 2022.

Watch Tracey Curro’s infamous interview with Pauline Hanson in 1996 below:

Source: 60 Minutes Australia

Sponsored
It is amazing how the media can twist and stretch the truth to get a good story, but when the shoe is on the other foot they get upset and offended when it's one of their own. Compassion is a skill not practiced in many families which causes confusion, anxiety and frustration. This is exasperated when all parties are greaving for someone's pending passing who they love. They feel helpless and disempowered over the situation. These emotions often end in anger as they need someone to blame. These sisters would benefit by sitting with their father (the family matriarch) and talking to him, hold his hand and express their love for him and thank him for all he has done for them. Assure him his efforts of family will live on through them. Allow him to pass in peace. This will also help them with the enevedable grief to follow. It's OK to say it's time to move on and don't let personal perspectives cloud your judgement on the things in life that matter. You cannot buy a pound of compassion but materialism will destroy your sole.

Yes I agree with Wendyhood. Ms Curro after all " lives by the sword and I'm afraid has to die by the sword."
The press report on anything that appeals to the gossips of our society because. We seem to take great pleasure in the suffering of others. Well! now she is the focus of that unfair scrutiny. Perhaps she may now develop some compassion for others caught in sensitive situations.

Whenever a public figure is accused of a crime, their story will inevitably make headlines.

Such was the case for ex-60 Minutes journalist Tracey Curro, who set tongues wagging recently after being charged with common assault (domestic violence offence). This followed after she allegedly assaulted a relative during a family dispute in northeast Queensland on August 19, 2022.

Ms Curro's Defence Lawyer, Mathai Joshi, spoke to the media outside Townsville Magistrates Courthouse on Tuesday and revealed that his client intends to fight the charge.

He also voiced Ms Curro’s frustration with how the story has been twisted by the media, saying:

‘My client wishes to advise that it’s incredibly distressing and disappointing that a private family matter with an extensive history, which as a consequence has caused my client and her sister a loss of valuable time with her father, has now essentially been made public.’

1t1YSmhpuo5LeIusS2JuP90lQoVD9dEZc9UkJBd3L3_uOC3BxhzxucrMwOlbON6AnseimrZx_hu7Q38heM2XDJ1Wa1ZJud0BXy5FKYyJ5ZJoKETs800-h24VkWMAjhncomOcv3hKiKxKywFbNcKgbvi06GjxNGypIlMoHJ76szqa6b3RpQVt3NaAiA

The ex-journalist is upset by the media coverage of her case. Source: Townsville Bulletin

‘My client denies these allegations against her and she intends to provide a response once the proceedings are finalised.’

In a separate interview, Mr Joshi divulged that the care of Ms Curro’s elderly father, PJ, had ‘divided the extended family’.

‘My client’s elderly father, who she and her sister love dearly, legally appointed his daughters to care for him in his old age.’ he said.

Mr Joshi added that it wouldn’t be appropriate to discuss the case further while the matter was before the court.

Ms Curro said on October 1 that she remained ‘solely focused’ on caring for her father and ‘ensuring his final days are peaceful’.

urxXrxh8h2QmXKHOboDcPni5I9qZih-_gDForg-yRN4W92q9MT8S6PyrkDPzX9wAAekeAieb7bCjk2OyYwbMAw4kOY6GHinALOAij0IIuANMGhQ5FLoKCeo-TNCQWf3LTQJD_8GDOktnvqz0ml1vm_EXMCeAUc0NUZgIzX0rSKjma6ORKmABmaICoQ

Mr Joshi detailed his client’s wishes. Source: news.com.au

The former journalist worked for 60 Minutes for four years and with Nine Network for three.

She rose to fame after interviewing politician Pauline Hanson following the 1996 federal election when she asked the newly elected politician if she was xenophobic.

Ms Hanson responded with ‘please explain’, which went on to cause widespread ridicule and commentary about her views.

Ms Curro’s court proceedings will continue at Townsville Magistrates Court on October 28, 2022.

Watch Tracey Curro’s infamous interview with Pauline Hanson in 1996 below:

Source: 60 Minutes Australia

now you know what it feels like!