Status
Not open for further replies.

'Forced shakedown' at Woolworths checkout has shoppers outraged

We all love a good rant every now and then, especially when it comes to those little everyday frustrations. It's in those moments that we often discover we're not alone, and our fellow Aussies might have the same concerns.

Just the other day, there was this Woolworths shopper who made a video expressing their frustration about the supermarket's 'forced philanthropy' at the self-serve checkouts. The video caught the attention of many people on the internet and got quite a discussion going.

In the fiery video uploaded to social media, the passionate customer expressed her fury at the donation prompt that pops up when you're trying to pay for your groceries at the self-serve register.

The prompt asks customers if they'd like to round up their shopping total to a whole dollar, donating the excess to non-profit organisations. While people are free to tap 'yes' or 'no' to the donation, the situation has ignited a heated debate on the issue.

Screen Shot 2023-06-06 at 9.53.27 AM.png
A shopper spoke out about the 'forced philanthropy' in supermarket checkouts. Credit: TikTok.

'Has anyone else just had a gutful of this forced philanthropy shakedown every time you go to the supermarket?' the frustrated woman asked in the video.

She continued: 'And I know what you're going to say, you can say to me “Oh, you know you can just say no” or “You can just press no”... But here's the thing. I do press no because I'm just morally opposed to multibillion-dollar companies doing shakedowns of consumers when they just want to buy red grapes and tampons.'

To address the retailer directly, she added, 'No, I don't want my 85c refund. What I do want is for you, as a multi-million-dollar conglomerate, to start making these donations yourselves.'

A number of fellow shoppers chimed in, agreeing with her sentiment:

'Honestly, I'm already struggling to pay for the tampons and grapes; that's 85c that I'll need tomorrow when I have to buy milk and bread,' said one. Another commented: 'Amen! I used to feel guilty saying no, but now I'm just an average single mum trying to do my best.'

A third chimed in: 'Preach it, sister.' One member shared: 'Finally, someone said it! I absolutely resent that EFTPOS shakeup tells me to donate at every place I go, be it petrol or groceries or whatever!'

Just a quick heads-up, everyone: the video below contains some strong language, so please be aware and decide whether you're comfortable watching it!

In response to the growing concern, a Woolworths spokesperson defended the donation prompts at self-serve registers, sharing their success in raising millions for charity.

'At Woolworths, supporting Australian communities is a top priority,' the spokesperson said. In addition to the company's commitment to community partners and not-for-profit organisations, they explained that customers were given the option for voluntary small change donations.

The spokesperson reassured that in the past two years, these small donations had accumulated millions for various partners and urged people to remember there's no obligation to donate.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper has expressed frustration over the donation prompt at self-serve checkouts.
  • In a video posted on social media, the customer criticised the act of 'forced philanthropy' by the supermarket giant.
  • Other users on social media agreed with the shopper's frustration and shared their experiences.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson defended the donation prompts, stating that they have raised millions for charity and are entirely voluntary.

It's wonderful to give back and support charities whenever possible, but it's essential never to feel obligated to donate if it becomes too burdensome for your personal finances.

Remember, you have the right to decline if you so choose, and there are always alternative ways to contribute or donate at a time that suits your financial situation better.

We'd love to hear your opinion on this! Do you find donation pop-ups helpful, or do they just become an annoyance? Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below!

Sponsored
We all love a good rant every now and then, especially when it comes to those little everyday frustrations. It's in those moments that we often discover we're not alone, and our fellow Aussies might have the same concerns.

Just the other day, there was this Woolworths shopper who made a video expressing their frustration about the supermarket's 'forced philanthropy' at the self-serve checkouts. The video caught the attention of many people on the internet and got quite a discussion going.

In the fiery video uploaded to social media, the passionate customer expressed her fury at the donation prompt that pops up when you're trying to pay for your groceries at the self-serve register.

The prompt asks customers if they'd like to round up their shopping total to a whole dollar, donating the excess to non-profit organisations. While people are free to tap 'yes' or 'no' to the donation, the situation has ignited a heated debate on the issue.

View attachment 21585
A shopper spoke out about the 'forced philanthropy' in supermarket checkouts. Credit: TikTok.

'Has anyone else just had a gutful of this forced philanthropy shakedown every time you go to the supermarket?' the frustrated woman asked in the video.

She continued: 'And I know what you're going to say, you can say to me “Oh, you know you can just say no” or “You can just press no”... But here's the thing. I do press no because I'm just morally opposed to multibillion-dollar companies doing shakedowns of consumers when they just want to buy red grapes and tampons.'

To address the retailer directly, she added, 'No, I don't want my 85c refund. What I do want is for you, as a multi-million-dollar conglomerate, to start making these donations yourselves.'

'Honestly, I'm already struggling to pay for the tampons and grapes; that's 85c that I'll need tomorrow when I have to buy milk and bread,' said one. Another commented: 'Amen! I used to feel guilty saying no, but now I'm just an average single mum trying to do my best.'

A third chimed in: 'Preach it, sister.' One member shared: 'Finally, someone said it! I absolutely resent that EFTPOS shakeup tells me to donate at every place I go, be it petrol or groceries or whatever!'

Just a quick heads-up, everyone: the video below contains some strong language, so please be aware and decide whether you're comfortable watching it!

In response to the growing concern, a Woolworths spokesperson defended the donation prompts at self-serve registers, sharing their success in raising millions for charity.

'At Woolworths, supporting Australian communities is a top priority,' the spokesperson said. In addition to the company's commitment to community partners and not-for-profit organisations, they explained that customers were given the option for voluntary small change donations.

The spokesperson reassured that in the past two years, these small donations had accumulated millions for various partners and urged people to remember there's no obligation to donate.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper has expressed frustration over the donation prompt at self-serve checkouts.
  • In a video posted on social media, the customer criticised the act of 'forced philanthropy' by the supermarket giant.
  • Other users on social media agreed with the shopper's frustration and shared their experiences.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson defended the donation prompts, stating that they have raised millions for charity and are entirely voluntary.

It's wonderful to give back and support charities whenever possible, but it's essential never to feel obligated to donate if it becomes too burdensome for your personal finances.

Remember, you have the right to decline if you so choose, and there are always alternative ways to contribute or donate at a time that suits your financial situation better.

We'd love to hear your opinion on this! Do you find donation pop-ups helpful, or do they just become an annoyance? Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below!

I do not mind being asked to make a small donation and always do. It is strictly optional. I am a pensioner so I cannot afford to donate much but theses small donations are fine. Those who object must be extremely lazy if the cannot push the 'no' button. They are also extremely mean. I think Woolworths should be congratulated on the initiative.

You musn't shop much at Woolies anyway if you only get $10 off once a year.
I am with you. Service has gone rotten. Went to deli for sliced meat, and got told that they don’t slice meat until 9.00am. Pathetic customer service. Done with Woollies for good, and from now on, it’s IGA or Coles. It’s a disgrace. To top it off, I might get $10 off with rewards dollars once a year! Ciao to Woollies

When I want to give to charity. I will decide how much and who will be the recipient. When the charities make their books available to public scrutiny and honestly disclose the percentage that actually does good rather than facilitating government backed projects, then they can start begging in shopping centres and supermarkets.

Reactions: Joseph Gallina
It's called Google, troll, look that up while you're there.
Oh, I see. You come up with some allegations which you've got no evidence about, and can't quote, but want other people to find these alleged claims themselves. 🤔😂😂

It doesn't really work like that. 🙄

View attachment 21585

Key Takeaways

Oh, I see. You come up with some allegations which you've got no evidence about, and can't quote, but want other people to find these alleged claims themselves. 🤔😂😂

It doesn't really work like that. 🙄
Every dollar donated by big companies is a tax write off, the more you give to them , the more tax they avoid paying, are you thick or just plain arrogant, still ,you are a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×