Foodie takes a trip to one of Australia's LAST dine-in Pizza Huts - still remember these foods from back in the day?

For Aussies of a certain age, there's nothing quite like nostalgic comfort food to take you back to simpler times. Foods that bring us back to our childhood always seem to taste better than anything else, don't they?

That might explain the recent resurgence in popularity of foods like Kraft mac and cheese, Spag Bol --- and yes, even pizza!

While most of us have moved on from greasy takeaway pizzas in favour of healthier (and tastier) home-cooked meals or restaurant dining experiences, there's still something special about a big slice (or two) every now and again.

And when it comes to pizza chains in Australia, one name stands out above the rest: Pizza Hut. Whether you remember tucking into their super-cheesy pizzas at your friend's birthday parties as a kid or scarfing down slices after work with your mates - chances are good that Pizza Hut holds a special place in your heart (and stomach).

Sadly though, due to changes in consumer tastes and preferences over the years (not to mention several government lockdowns), many dine-in Pizza Huts around the country have been forced to close their doors for good.

These days if you want that old-school pizza joint experience complete with all you can eat buffets and games rooms --- you'll be hard pressed to find it anywhere as more stores have adjusted to life post-COVID where takeouts and online orders are increasingly becoming the norm.

Screenshot_2.png
One of Pizza Hut’s last dine-in locations in Australia. Credit: YouTube/Bec Hardgrave

Now, if you want a chance at some serious '90s nostalgia, well do we have a story for you!

Popular food influencer Bec Hardgrave recently visited one of the country’s last Pizza Hut stores with dine-in options for an all-you-can-eat treat with her boyfriend Tim and for sure, it was a blast from the past,

In a video uploaded on YouTube, Bec and Tim started off reminiscing the good old days when you’d order via phone for pickup, and the operator never got the order right.

‘I remember my Mum would get so worked up,’ she said, admitting she would have too had she done a call presently. Honestly, we would too — and we miss it!

They also recalled Dougie, the iconic pizza delivery boy tied to Pizza Hut through a series of commercials.

Once at the location, Bec and her beau wasted no time ordering Pizza Hut’s All-You-Can Eat meal for $14.95, along with a $9.95 jug of zero sugar Coke.

First on the couple’s nostalgic hit list — of course — pizza!

‘I got three pieces of pizza,’ Bec said.

‘They literally don’t label what any of the pizzas are, so I don’t have any idea what (their flavours) are.’

Screenshot_4.png
Bec and Tim went straight for Pizza Hut’s iconic offering. Credit: YouTube/Bec Hardgrave

Meanwhile, Tim also got himself some garlic bread and Bolognese sauce along with two pizza slices.

‘It’s won me over,’ he said of his choice.

Next plates in, the two got some more pizza, and added some pasta and potato gems. Yum!

‘Potato gems are a bit cold, pasta’s a bit average, Pizza’s good though,’ Bec said as her boyfriend returned with his own plate.

The couple wanted to make the most out of their time and money, so they went in for their third helpings!

Screenshot_5.png
Bec wasn’t a fan of the potato gems and the pasta, but the pizza won her over. Credit: YouTube/Bec Hardgrave

Their next target was some potato and pasta salad, which the both of them found all right. Bec though, wasn’t really a fan, but to each their own. Honestly, we’d love a bite right about now!

Unable to fit more food in their stomachs, the pair then went for those classic, delicious desserts we all used to love.

Bec got some jelly, ice cream, and topped hers off with some sprinkles, while her boyfriend also had ice cream but had his with some chocolate brownies.

Key Takeaways

• Food influencer Bec Hardgrave has taken us inside one of the few dine-in Pizza Huts that remain.
  • There are just seven dine in Pizza Huts left in Australia, with Bec and her partner Tim heading to their nearest dine in Pizza Hut, paying just $14.95 each to experience it plus another $9.95 for a jug of soft drink.
  • The Queensland woman revealed in her YouTube video that pizza, potato gems, garlic bread, salads and desserts were among the items on offer.
  • Bec and Tim left full after three plates and dessert each. He said: 'If you’re thinking of going to Pizza Hut – do it. I just probably wouldn’t make a date out of it.'
In total, Bec was able to get through three plates of food, while Tim had two (plus some dessert!)

Of their experience, the pair recommended going back, if only for nostalgia.

‘They haven’t changed one thing about (the Pizza Hut store) since I was about two years old… everything’s the same, not one renovation’s been done.’

They sure make a good case for trooping to the nearest dine-in store, eh?

Source: YouTube/Bec Hardgrave

If you have time, do be sure to check out our place at SDC for reminiscing about the Australia we grew up with!

So, what can you say about this story? Can you think about more things you miss at Pizza Hut — or other restaurants for that matter?

Please share your memories and comments below!

Sponsored
I remember taking my kids to the movies at Beverly Hills then after visiting Pizza hut next door for all you can eat.
They loved it but sadly it was gone when my youngest 4 were born .

We also loved family visits to Sizzlers at Rockdale.
There is something special in kids being able to get up and pick their own food and desserts .

I loved both these restaurants for bring very family friendly

We need these to make a comeback

I remember taking my kids to the movies at Beverly Hills then after visiting Pizza hut next door for all you can eat.
They loved it but sadly it was gone when my youngest 4 were born .

We also loved family visits to Sizzlers at Rockdale.
There is something special in kids being able to get up and pick their own food and desserts .

I loved both these restaurants for bring very family friendly

We need these to make a comeback
Really sad that COVID didn't even spare our favourite dine-ins!

Nostalgia for crap like spag bol or mac & cheese .UGH! even though I was born before the war I had never been offered such rubbish food. Maybe that is why I am now so fussy. Mind you I was only 18 months old when I first tried pickled onions & developed a love for vinegar. I often reckon that is why I am well preserved at 2 days short of 85. I remember 2 sit-down Pizza huts in Brisbane in the & 70s & 80s but they are long gone now. A great place for a family meal as a treat

When my boys were teenagers we went to all you can eat at Pizza Hut about once a week. We lived across the road from the Casuarina shops in Darwin. My son's basketball coach was the manager and he used to treat the whole team.

Our first date dining out was at the Pizza Hut, near Green Valley, (forgotten!) NSW. I wasn't a pizza fan, so I chose the dish Cavatini.
Pasta, sauce, cheese and spices, oh yummy. We went there every week until we moved house. Then it was wherever we could find one!
They had red candle holders, red serviettes, check seat cushions, and the lighting was ever so romantic. sigh 😔

For Aussies of a certain age, there's nothing quite like nostalgic comfort food to take you back to simpler times. Foods that bring us back to our childhood always seem to taste better than anything else, don't they?

That might explain the recent resurgence in popularity of foods like Kraft mac and cheese, Spag Bol --- and yes, even pizza!

While most of us have moved on from greasy takeaway pizzas in favour of healthier (and tastier) home-cooked meals or restaurant dining experiences, there's still something special about a big slice (or two) every now and again.

And when it comes to pizza chains in Australia, one name stands out above the rest: Pizza Hut. Whether you remember tucking into their super-cheesy pizzas at your friend's birthday parties as a kid or scarfing down slices after work with your mates - chances are good that Pizza Hut holds a special place in your heart (and stomach).

Sadly though, due to changes in consumer tastes and preferences over the years (not to mention several government lockdowns), many dine-in Pizza Huts around the country have been forced to close their doors for good.

These days if you want that old-school pizza joint experience complete with all you can eat buffets and games rooms --- you'll be hard pressed to find it anywhere as more stores have adjusted to life post-COVID where takeouts and online orders are increasingly becoming the norm.

View attachment 7513
One of Pizza Hut’s last dine-in locations in Australia. Credit: YouTube/Bec Hardgrave

Now, if you want a chance at some serious '90s nostalgia, well do we have a story for you!

Popular food influencer Bec Hardgrave recently visited one of the country’s last Pizza Hut stores with dine-in options for an all-you-can-eat treat with her boyfriend Tim and for sure, it was a blast from the past,

In a video uploaded on YouTube, Bec and Tim started off reminiscing the good old days when you’d order via phone for pickup, and the operator never got the order right.

‘I remember my Mum would get so worked up,’ she said, admitting she would have too had she done a call presently. Honestly, we would too — and we miss it!

They also recalled Dougie, the iconic pizza delivery boy tied to Pizza Hut through a series of commercials.

Once at the location, Bec and her beau wasted no time ordering Pizza Hut’s All-You-Can Eat meal for $14.95, along with a $9.95 jug of zero sugar Coke.

‘They literally don’t label what any of the pizzas are, so I don’t have any idea what (their flavours) are.’

View attachment 7514
Bec and Tim went straight for Pizza Hut’s iconic offering. Credit: YouTube/Bec Hardgrave

Meanwhile, Tim also got himself some garlic bread and Bolognese sauce along with two pizza slices.

Next plates in, the two got some more pizza, and added some pasta and potato gems. Yum!

‘Potato gems are a bit cold, pasta’s a bit average, Pizza’s good though,’ Bec said as her boyfriend returned with his own plate.

The couple wanted to make the most out of their time and money, so they went in for their third helpings!

View attachment 7515
Bec wasn’t a fan of the potato gems and the pasta, but the pizza won her over. Credit: YouTube/Bec Hardgrave

Their next target was some potato and pasta salad, which the both of them found all right. Bec though, wasn’t really a fan, but to each their own. Honestly, we’d love a bite right about now!

Unable to fit more food in their stomachs, the pair then went for those classic, delicious desserts we all used to love.

Bec got some jelly, ice cream, and topped hers off with some sprinkles, while her boyfriend also had ice cream but had his with some chocolate brownies.

Key Takeaways

• Food influencer Bec Hardgrave has taken us inside one of the few dine-in Pizza Huts that remain.
  • There are just seven dine in Pizza Huts left in Australia, with Bec and her partner Tim heading to their nearest dine in Pizza Hut, paying just $14.95 each to experience it plus another $9.95 for a jug of soft drink.
  • The Queensland woman revealed in her YouTube video that pizza, potato gems, garlic bread, salads and desserts were among the items on offer.
  • Bec and Tim left full after three plates and dessert each. He said: 'If you’re thinking of going to Pizza Hut – do it. I just probably wouldn’t make a date out of it.'
In total, Bec was able to get through three plates of food, while Tim had two (plus some dessert!)

‘They haven’t changed one thing about (the Pizza Hut store) since I was about two years old… everything’s the same, not one renovation’s been done.’

If you have time, do be sure to check out our place at SDC for reminiscing about the Australia we grew up with!

So, what can you say about this story? Can you think about more things you miss at Pizza Hut — or other restaurants for that matter?

I’d like to know where those remaining dine-in Pizza Hut restaurants are. This brought back lots of memories of my visits long ago, for my choice of

Can someone please tell me what a "Food influencer" is?? Are they full of food or full of themselves?
Maybe a bit of both @JedCorella? :ROFLMAO:
Nostalgia for crap like spag bol or mac & cheese .UGH! even though I was born before the war I had never been offered such rubbish food. Maybe that is why I am now so fussy. Mind you I was only 18 months old when I first tried pickled onions & developed a love for vinegar. I often reckon that is why I am well preserved at 2 days short of 85. I remember 2 sit-down Pizza huts in Brisbane in the & 70s & 80s but they are long gone now. A great place for a family meal as a treat
Oh wow happy happy 85th @Nana Zorak!
I’d like to know where those remaining dine-in Pizza Hut restaurants are. This brought back lots of memories of my visits long ago, for my choice of

We got you @Ian1! According to kitchen.nine.com.au, they are:

Windsor, Lake Haven (apparently closing and changing locations ), Minto, Orange, and Waterloo in New South Wales

Gympie, Brown Plains, Bowen, and Toowomba in Queensland

Ballarat and Shepparton in Victoria

Marion in South Australia (reported closing last June)

New Town in Tasmania

---

Also love that you shared some fond memories, @RTS ,@Pommyoz, and everyone!

Maybe a bit of both @JedCorella? :ROFLMAO:

Oh wow happy happy 85th @Nana Zorak!

We got you @Ian1! According to kitchen.nine.com.au, they are:

Windsor, Lake Haven (apparently closing and changing locations ), Minto, Orange, and Waterloo in New South Wales

Gympie, Brown Plains, Bowen, and Toowomba in Queensland

Ballarat and Shepparton in Victoria

Marion in South Australia (reported closing last June)

New Town in Tasmania

---

Also love that you shared some fond memories, @RTS ,@Pommyoz, and everyone!
Many thanks for those locations @JarredS. Windsor is my closest, so they can expect a visit soon!

Reactions: Ricci and DottieB

View attachment 7513

View attachment 7514

View attachment 7515

Key Takeaways

Frustrating! I’ll buy myself a laptop one day, so I don’t accidentally ‘send’ before I’m ready, or finished my reply! With apologies, I’ll try again. I was saying (thank you @JarredS for helping out with current Pizza Hut dine-in locations): This brought back lots of memories of my visits long ago, for it being my choice of restaurant in which to have that special eat-out experience. Two Pizza Huts I got to know quite well (both gone unfortunately) were Belfield and Petersham here in Sydney. I always remember the individual tables (no booths!) with their red and white check plastic (?) table cloths. Ordering from the menu was the traditional way to make your meal selection, long before the additional help yourself bars. My favourite fare was starting with a prawn cocktail (when the prawns way out-numbered the lettuce!? Next was a thin and crispy base ham and pineapple, or maybe ground beef and onion (when the onion was finely diced, not half-rings of onion). I’d order my light beer (a rare treat) to wash it all down. Unfortunately I don’t recall the available selection of desserts, but I’m sure I had my favourites. Thanks for jogging my memory of one of my favourite visits. 😁🍤🍕🍺👍

Reactions: Ricci
Thanks for the locations. Must go to one now that all the memories of yesteryear have been stirred up.

Reactions: Ricci
I remember when our son was born the Hospital gave you a date night where they looked after Bub and you could go out for a meal or whatever. Ever the last of the big spenders hubby chose to take me to Pizza Hut all you can eat, admittedly because it was close to the Hospital and we had such a fun night as I recall. It was great as we could sit and talk, there was no pressure or time constraints and the atmosphere was fun. I think the people knew as I still had my hospital tag on my wrist and we received a free jug of juice. Fun, innocent times!!:D:D

Reactions: JedCorella