Food critic exposes the worst Aussie products of 2023

In the world of gastronomy, 2023 was a year of bold experiments and daring new flavours.

But not all of these culinary adventures hit the mark, according to popular Australian food critic Russ Eats.

Known for his candid and often hilarious reviews, Russ has compiled his annual 'Stinker Awards', a list of the eight most disappointing products to grace supermarket shelves and takeaway menus in 2023.

Topping the list is a product that might make you question the sanity of food innovators: Coles' Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns.

This bizarre concoction, complete with bits of dried pickle in the dough, was a gastronomic misfire that Russ said 'makes him sick' to think about.

photo (3).jpg
An Australian food critic has shared his list of the most disappointing products released in 2023. Image source: TikTok/@russ.eats.

'I still remember the smell opening the packet, it was like when you leave your washing in the washing machine for a few days,' he said.

Coming in at a close second was McDonald's controversial potato scallop.

Released in January for a limited time, this dish was not only a culinary disappointment but also sparked a nationwide debate.

Russ described the taste as akin to a 'sponge of oil' and an 'old man's heel'.

You can watch the first video of the Stinker Awards below:

Video source: TikTok/@russ.eats.

But the real controversy lay in the timing of the release.

'The reason these are so high up on the list is because they released them when we were having a potato shortage around the country,' Russ pointed out.

The third spot on the list was claimed by Fanta's mystery-flavoured drink.

The company kept the flavour under wraps, sparking weeks of speculation among Aussies.

When it was finally revealed to be Apple Strudel, the reaction was less than enthusiastic.

Russ likened the taste to 'gumption' and joked that it could be used to 'clean your toilet'.

'It was maybe green apple Little Tree air freshener for your car, but it wasn't apple strudel,' Russ claimed.

The much-hyped Prime Energy drink a product of YouTube star Logan Paul and famous boxer KSI—which sold at inflated prices starting at $12—was another letdown.

Despite the initial excitement, Russ described the taste as 'straight cordial', although he conceded that the orange flavour was 'okay'.

You can watch the second video of the Stinker Awards below:

The hype around the beverage has now died down, and it is now available at convenience stores and supermarkets for a more reasonable price of $4.50.

Other products that made the list include Green's Vegemite Choc Chunk Brownie Mix, the new V Energy Drink recipe, Hungry Jack's Fried Chicken Boneless Pieces (which Russ has likened to 'home brand air-fried processed chicken'), and Monster's Java Loca Mocha (which he described as 'instant coffee that went cold').

You can find the complete list of products included in the '2023 Stinker Awards' below:

Warning signs to look out for when shopping online.jpg
Key Takeaways

• Russ Eats, an Australian food reviewer, has announced his '2023 Stinker Awards' for the worst food and drink products of the year.
  • Topping his list of worst products was Coles' Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns, which he found especially unpalatable.
  • The controversy over McDonald's Potato Scallop and the criticism of the Fanta mystery flavour, which turned out to be Apple Strudel, were also highlighted in his review.
  • Prime Energy Drink and Green's Vegemite Choc Chunk Brownie Mix were among the other products that failed to impress Russ, receiving negative feedback for their taste.
Members, have you tried any of these products? Do you agree with Russ's verdicts or is there a product you’d like to include in the ‘Stinker Awards’? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
We were selling a special edition of Coke that had been designed by an AI. The cans were really pretty, but the taste…well I think it was something only a robot would love
In the words of Robbie the Robot in the 1950s classic sci-fi movie "The Forbidden Planet"- fusel oil. That was when he made bourbon for the young drunk cook.

It's all junk food, so only someone with low intelligence would have purchased in the first place. Purely aimed at idiot millennials (#renters) that complain about #boomers but stupidly pay $5: for a can of .65c soft drinks.

I think they should add most of Maccas McSloppy shit burgers to the list. They are the most discusting burgers ever made. Hence the name I give them, McSloppy and McSlapup. The McFlurry cups I call McScabby. The only worthwhile item on the menu is the fries if you can scoff them down before the go McCold chips. All items cost a McFortune.

• Haha
Reactions: Macarj
Anything KFC would top on my list , all deep fried and the cheap fat dribbles out of your mouth (Yuck ) ,tried this once over 30 yrs ago , never again . You only have to look at the low IQ ads on tv , makes me sick .

I love chocolate but I won't even eat chocolate hot cross buns I only eat the original plain ones my grandmother used to make and I have made them in the past so I might make my own

Who would trust this dudes reviews. Most of the items I've never heard of .

He had given a review on coffee milk , that the taste was good but then it gave him gasto! Maybe he has irritable bowel syndrome

Then he did another review say fantales were 10 out of 10 while Jaffas were right down the list.
Yep his reviews are personal!!!

• Love
Reactions: Veggiepatch
HotI love chocolate but I won't even eat chocolate hot cross buns I only eat the original plain ones my grandmother used to make and I have made them in the past so I might make my own
Hot Cross Buns should be eaten on Good Friday. Does anyone know that? Take the cross off & call them fruit buns. The cross doesn’t taste like anything- it’s just flour & water. Leave the Christian icons alone. Where were the Navity sceens among the season’s decor?

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Hot Cross Buns should be eaten on Good Friday. Does anyone know that? Take the cross off & call them fruit buns. The cross doesn’t taste like anything- it’s just flour & water. Leave the Christian icons alone. Where were the Navity sceens among the season’s decor?
Not being rude but who or where does it say they have to be eaten on Goid Friday ? And yes I'm a Christian

In the world of gastronomy, 2023 was a year of bold experiments and daring new flavours.

But not all of these culinary adventures hit the mark, according to popular Australian food critic Russ Eats.

Known for his candid and often hilarious reviews, Russ has compiled his annual 'Stinker Awards', a list of the eight most disappointing products to grace supermarket shelves and takeaway menus in 2023.

Topping the list is a product that might make you question the sanity of food innovators: Coles' Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns.

This bizarre concoction, complete with bits of dried pickle in the dough, was a gastronomic misfire that Russ said 'makes him sick' to think about.

View attachment 38532
An Australian food critic has shared his list of the most disappointing products released in 2023. Image source: TikTok/@russ.eats.

'I still remember the smell opening the packet, it was like when you leave your washing in the washing machine for a few days,' he said.

Coming in at a close second was McDonald's controversial potato scallop.

Released in January for a limited time, this dish was not only a culinary disappointment but also sparked a nationwide debate.

Russ described the taste as akin to a 'sponge of oil' and an 'old man's heel'.

You can watch the first video of the Stinker Awards below:

But the real controversy lay in the timing of the release.

'The reason these are so high up on the list is because they released them when we were having a potato shortage around the country,' Russ pointed out.

The third spot on the list was claimed by Fanta's mystery-flavoured drink.

The company kept the flavour under wraps, sparking weeks of speculation among Aussies.

When it was finally revealed to be Apple Strudel, the reaction was less than enthusiastic.

Russ likened the taste to 'gumption' and joked that it could be used to 'clean your toilet'.

'It was maybe green apple Little Tree air freshener for your car, but it wasn't apple strudel,' Russ claimed.

The much-hyped Prime Energy drink a product of YouTube star Logan Paul and famous boxer KSI—which sold at inflated prices starting at $12—was another letdown.

Despite the initial excitement, Russ described the taste as 'straight cordial', although he conceded that the orange flavour was 'okay'.

You can watch the second video of the Stinker Awards below:

The hype around the beverage has now died down, and it is now available at convenience stores and supermarkets for a more reasonable price of $4.50.

Other products that made the list include Green's Vegemite Choc Chunk Brownie Mix, the new V Energy Drink recipe, Hungry Jack's Fried Chicken Boneless Pieces (which Russ has likened to 'home brand air-fried processed chicken'), and Monster's Java Loca Mocha (which he described as 'instant coffee that went cold').

You can find the complete list of products included in the '2023 Stinker Awards' below:
Key Takeaways

• Russ Eats, an Australian food reviewer, has announced his '2023 Stinker Awards' for the worst food and drink products of the year.
  • Topping his list of worst products was Coles' Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns, which he found especially unpalatable.
  • The controversy over McDonald's Potato Scallop and the criticism of the Fanta mystery flavour, which turned out to be Apple Strudel, were also highlighted in his review.
  • Prime Energy Drink and Green's Vegemite Choc Chunk Brownie Mix were among the other products that failed to impress Russ, receiving negative feedback for their taste.
Members, have you tried any of these products? Do you agree with Russ's verdicts or is there a product you’d like to include in the ‘Stinker Awards’? Let us know in the comments below!

all shit.