Foliage fiasco: Retiree roots for justice against council's hefty fine!

In the tranquil suburbs where the Australian dream of a beautiful home and garden is cherished, one might not expect that the simple act of gardening could lead to a financial nightmare.

Yet, this is precisely the predicament faced by a retiree on the Mornington Peninsula, whose passion for plants has put him at odds with local council regulations.

Neil 'Mac' McPherson, a 79-year-old retiree, found himself in a thorny situation after the Mornington Peninsula Council ordered him to remove a series of agapanthus plants from a nature strip outside his home.

The plants, which McPherson tended to with great care for 6 years, were deemed an unauthorised use of council-owned land.

The council's ultimatum: uproot the plants or face a hefty fine of $7,692.

compressed-shutterstock_766971835.jpeg
Neil McPherson is potentially facing a hefty fine for illegally planting agapanthus and constructing a concrete path on a nature strip according to the local council. Credits: Shutterstock

The agapanthus have been a source of pride for McPherson, whose efforts have not gone unnoticed by his community.

Neighbours often complimented the lush greenery and vibrant blooms that contrast sharply with the less-maintained council strips nearby.

However, the council's stance is clear: no permission was granted for the planting, and a concrete path leading to McPherson's carport has been labelled 'illegal’.

‘We've watered and meticulously looked after them the whole time,’ McPherson argued.

‘I love the aggies. My wife's an aggie girl.’

According to McPherson, his plight began innocuously enough when he applied for a permit to construct a carport.

‘While [the inspector] was here, he took a photo of our aggies along the kerbside, and sent a notice to compliance saying these are against the bylaws,’ he recalled.

‘It must have been an overzealous person. That's how it all started.’

‘If I hadn't applied for a carport I wouldn't have this problem I'm having now,’ he added.

Last September, McPherson received a notice from Mornington Peninsula Shire to address the situation, and now he must either remove the agapanthus at his own cost, or face the penalty fine.

'It's shocking. I've spent hours awake at night, mad as hell. But I'm a bit old fashioned and I ain't giving in,' McPherson stated.

‘You'll find them everywhere [the agapanthus]. There's no question [the council have] got it out for me.’

‘It's got to be discriminatory, because you'll find other examples of it everywhere. So why me?’ he continued.

His requests for leniency had been met with rejection, and the council remained resolute in its demand for the removal of the plants.

‘It's just made our life a bit of a misery, and at our age, we don't need it,’ McPherson lamented.

‘All we've asked for is a fair go and some common sense. What really is lacking here is good old fashioned common sense—and [council] haven't got any.’

The Mornington Peninsula Shire defended its position.

‘This issue relates to the illegal construction of a concrete path, and the unauthorised landscaping of a nature strip,’ a spokesperson explained.

‘No fines have been issued, but Mr McPherson has been asked to remove the landscaping from the nature strip outside his property.’

‘The Shire did not take six years to issue a compliance notice. We responded to this issue as soon as it was reported to us,’ they added.

In Australia, the rules regarding the use of nature strips for gardening vary from council to council, leaving residents to navigate a patchwork of regulations that can be as perplexing as they are punitive.

As one retiree found himself embroiled in a dispute with the local council over fines related to his meticulously maintained plants, another pensioner faced a similar ordeal.

The juxtaposition of these cases highlighted a recurring issue where seniors are subjected to insensitive fines by local authorities.

Despite their efforts to uphold their properties, these individuals find themselves at odds with bureaucratic measures that fail to recognise their circumstances.

Such instances underscore the need for greater compassion and understanding in the enforcement of regulations affecting senior citizens.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie retiree is potentially facing a $7,692 fine from the local council for illegally planting agapanthus and constructing a concrete path on a nature strip.
  • Neil 'Mac' McPherson has been praised by neighbours for the meticulous care of the plants outside his property, contrasting with the nearby council-maintained land.
  • McPherson argued that his garden is better maintained than the council's nature strip, but the council insists on the removal of his plants and the path.
  • The Mornington Peninsula Shire has not issued a fine yet, but has asked McPherson to comply by removing the landscaping, which they describe as illegal and unauthorised.
What are your thoughts on McPherson's situation? Do you take his, or the council’s side? Have you encountered a similar experience? Share your insights and experiences in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
The A Current Affairs program would LOVE this story and they would definitely change the outcome for this poor gardener.

Even the council hates things to look beautiful just a pack of assholes. No matter what we do it is no good for the council or the Government there are a lot of empty parks around they could let people make community gardens to feed everyone but they won't let you they could even plant fruit trees on sidewalks for the people but no god forbid they should help the hungry the price of fruit and veggies these days it would help out a lot and make sense to make parks a community garden

Councils are supposed to maintain these 'nature' strips I believe but you never see them watering them or weeding them. I just let mine die when it is dry....they want it green then they need to water it.
Had the same issue in the street where I live..... the inspector called round to inform me that I was going to be fined a similar amount for having plants up against the wall on the nature strip.... claimed the the neighbours complained. I informed him that could not be the case as I know the neighbours in the street (We live in a cul de sac).
After 5 visits from him, I asked what was being done about the umpteen houses that had similar greenery, the houses that had illegal constructions on the properties.
I then asked him where the property line started and told him that from that day forth whatever was council property could be a jungle but I refused to maintain the council property. That shut him up pronto. Bugger them 2 can play at the game....

Reactions: Pommyoz
Ratbag council. Why bully this poor man when you should be praising him for beautifying a drab old footpath?

Councils need to remember why they are there ..to serve the community and take care of OUR neighbourhood thats what we EMPLOY them for, yes there are rules ,but can be observed practicularly (What would be the repercussions if these criminals were allowed to care for their property ) The council seems to be flexing thier muscles like little hitlers....How about council looking at why they go broke every 7 or 8 years and then get us to pay extra rates to repair their bungling, ...kinda makes agapanthus a minor matter

Reactions: Pommyoz and IAN3005
He should pull out the Aggie and pot them. Don't mow the nature strip and ring the council every time
it needs mowing
I agree. Pot your Aggies & leave the council property untended. If they demand that you mow it (I'm sure they will), then send them a bill for every time you mow, weed, water "their" property. Take them to court if they fail to pay this a/c.

This is a disgrace
Councils are struggling for money due to their own mismanagement and are grabbing cash wherever they can.
The problems with this has already been stated so I won’t rant
😡😡

In this situation the council is wrong. The people at the council who would enforce this are pretty much low life.

Reactions: IAN3005
Absolutely disgraceful situation. Typical of so many councils who simply want to show how powerful they are. Petition of support should be initiated.

I miss the old Australia ....
Now
😡LABOR😡
Tanya Plibersek Minister for the Environment and Water of Australia, is planning to shoot and kill the wild horses of Australia.
🐎🐎🐎🐎🐎🐎
Wild horses do a lot of damage, same with Rabbits foxes cats dogs goats wild pigs and others. Do we stop controlling them and ignore the damage? Do you remember when wild horses were shot in the Snowy River area But that was under the LNP. Methinks there is a bit of bias here.

I think it looks lovely. However, it's all about people suing these days and seizing the opportunity. The local council will be liable is someone trips and gets hurt.

Moreton Bay City Council has introduced a Local Law which provides 50 penality units fine ($7744) for not mowing the verge in front of your property. But you can have a garden on the verge.

Maybe Neil just needs to move his plants inside his own fence, for his own enjoyment and forget everyone else.
Not worth the stress and anguish at his age. Council is mean spirited to an elderly citizen. I have to wonder how many of them are breaking council rules.

Sorry folks it is also an obnoxious weed Surprised the council didn't get him for that too

How close to the fence would you need to walk to trip over them, a virtual impossibility.
What if someone's intoxicated or under the influence of drugs or whatever and walk into the garden/fence. The fact that the garden is on road reserve, this opens up to Council being sued as a result. Irrespective of the person's state. The onus should really be on the individual, however that is not how liabilities work in this instance. As Council's are extremely risk averse, they just don't want additional risk.

Councils? A sad reflection on Australian bureauratic mentality. They mess with some bloke about planting some flowers on the nature strip he is supposed to spend time and money maintaining, and yet they release hundreds of sq km of otherwise good arable farm-land to let builders add to Australia's damaging urban sprawl. And despite Anthropogenic Global Warming they still allow development on sand-dunes next to the sea!
Councils? A sad reflection on Australian bureauratic mentality. They mess with some bloke about planting some flowers on the nature strip he is supposed to spend time and money maintaining, and yet they release hundreds of sq km of otherwise good arable farm-land to let builders add to Australia's damaging urban sprawl. And despite Anthropogenic Global Warming they still allow development on sand-dunes next to the sea!
and allow black roofs and fences like next door to me. One house demolished and three ticky tacky ones build, I’m sure it’s get super hot in summer!

In South Australia councils support verge plantings, you can even get a grant I think. Mine are planted up, I spend quite a bit of $$$ on trees, plants, fertiliser and water but it looks fabulous.
Those agapanthus look beautiful and it’s practically impossible to trip on them, also I wish people would take responsibility if they are intoxicated - sueing the council is not on.
That particular council needs its head checked, bloody stupid.