SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
Fly stoppers

Members, do you remember these fly stoppers? They used to be a common kitchen addition, and nearly every corner shop had them back in the day, too! Funnily enough, they’d spend a lot of time on your neck or ensnaring you in their sticky grasp. But despite that, they worked like a treat! Do you still have them at home? Share your fond memories with us in the comments below!

bae7da88e2e87a5eda357feded04080c.jpg
Source: Broadsheet

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure do. My aunt & uncle had them in their country home and also the similiar fly strips covered in flies, hanging from their ceiling in the kitchen. Aunty had a stumpy arm & when she would prepare food she would whack the flies with her stumpy arm. As a child at the time it was quite scary to witness. God help us if we were naughty because she would whack us kids with her stump also and it damm well hurt if she caught you. We would run out the yard and climb the big gums to get away. Funny enough it was always my favourite place to spend school holidays with the cousins.

Reactions: Littleboy8
The other fly fighting tool used frequently was the good old fly swat in various shades of glaringly bright plastic. My Nanna was deadly with one. Helped keep us grandkids in line on occasion as well. we found a few in odd places around her house when she moved out in her late eighties. I don't think Nanna put them there, maybe one of my brothers and a cousin who for a while became very quick after cheeky behaviour.

Reactions: Littleboy8
We’ve been trying to buy one for my husbands shed. We were told at Bunnings that they don’t make them anymore and have been replaced with those useless magnetic ones.

We’ve been trying to buy one for my husbands shed. We were told at Bunnings that they don’t make them anymore and have been replaced with those useless magnetic ones.
@Colette 3799 There on Aust eBay starting at $20 & $13 postage.

Reactions: Colette 3799