Flight nightmare: A 'technical problem' on a Boeing jet left 12 passengers injured

Travelling by air is often seen as one of the safest modes of transportation, with rigorous safety standards and advanced technology ensuring millions of passengers reach their destinations safely every year.

However, recent events have raised concerns about the reliability of some aircraft, particularly after a harrowing incident aboard a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner that left 12 passengers injured and many shaken.

The flight in question, operated by LATAM Airlines, was en route from Sydney to Auckland when it experienced what has been described as a 'technical problem,' resulting in a sudden and severe drop in altitude.

The unexpected turbulence caused chaos and fear among the passengers, with reports of broken roof panels and bleeding passengers.

shutterstock_519838723.jpg
A flight operated by LATAM Airlines encountered a technical issue while on its way to Auckland. Image source: Shutterstock

Boeing, the manufacturer of the 787-9 Dreamliner, has acknowledged the incident and is actively investigating the cause of the technical issue.

In a statement to the press, Boeing said: ‘We are working to gather more information about the flight and will provide any support needed by our customer.’

The aviation giant, which has faced increased scrutiny over the past months due to various issues with its aircraft worldwide, is under pressure to ensure the safety and reliability of its planes.

The aftermath of the incident was a scene of urgency, with more than half a dozen ambulance vehicles rushing to Auckland International Airport.

St John Ambulance New Zealand reported treating approximately 50 patients, with 12 requiring hospitalisation at Middlemore Hospital and other facilities.

One patient was in a serious condition, while the others ranged from ‘moderate to minor’ injuries.

Passenger accounts of the event vividly depict the terror experienced on board.

Brian Jokat, a passenger who was on the flight, recounted the moment the plane dropped.

The sudden fall, which lasted only a second or two, was enough to throw people from their seats, causing injuries and panic.

‘I mean, it dropped unlike anything I've ever experienced on any kind of minor turbulence and people were thrown out of their seats, hit the top of the roof of the plane, thrown down the aisles, it was madness, madness,’ he said.

The pilot's reaction post-incident was one of shock, according to Jokat.

The pilot reportedly said: ‘My gauges just blanked out, I lost all of my ability to fly the plane.’

LATAM Airlines, a Chilean carrier, reported that the Dreamliner experienced a ‘strong movement’ due to a technical issue.

The company said in a statement: ‘LATAM regrets the inconvenience and injury this situation may have caused its passengers, and reiterates its commitment to safety as a priority within the framework of its operational standards.’

Another passenger recalled his experience in this interview:

Source: ABC News (Australia)/YouTube​

This incident comes on the heels of another unrelated event involving a United Airlines flight from Sydney to San Francisco, which had to turn back due to a detected leak.

Although no injuries were reported in that case, it adds to the growing concerns about aircraft safety and the importance of stringent maintenance and oversight.
Key Takeaways

• Boeing is investigating a suspected technical problem on one of its 787-9 Dreamliner jets after an incident on a flight from Sydney to Auckland left 12 people injured.
  • LATAM Airlines acknowledged the technical problem which resulted in 'strong movement', causing injuries to passengers and crew.
  • Ambulance services treated about 50 patients, with 12 being taken to hospital, including one in serious condition.
  • Boeing has received increased scrutiny following recent incidents with its aircraft around the globe, while emphasising its commitment to safety.
As investigations continue, the aviation community and the public await answers that will hopefully lead to increased safety measures and prevent such frightening incidents from occurring in the future.

Our thoughts go out to those affected by the incident, and we wish them a swift recovery.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Thank goodness that the plane landed safely. I wonder whether or not the injured people had their seatbelts on. I’m not game to unbuckle mine unless I need to visit the loo.
I think they probably didn’t- or they wouldn’t have hit the roof panels. I keep mine buckled up ever since I flew from Sydney to Christchurch and we dropped suddenly flying over the Canterbury Plains. That was a wake up call for me.
Terrifying for the pilot though and he must have been in shock to share that with the passengers

Maintenance appears to be a major reason. Years ago my wife & l flew on a midnight flight with her sitting in a broken seat. The plane was full so she couldn't be shifted we were told. Only a minor thing perhaps but she could not recline her seat & sat up for the entire 3 or 4 hours flying.

This would have been fixed prior to take-off, we were told, but the previous flight was late & there wasn't time to do repairs. A verbal apology was all that was received for her inconvenience of sitting bolt upright for the entire flight. Some sort of compensation would have been nice. Not even a letter of apology from the airline was received.

It was common knowledge years ago that certain repairs could not be done in Australia & the plane needed to fly, with the problem, to the next destination. This doesn't instill a lot of confidence in Airlines.

WHAT ELSE ARE AIRLINES NOT TELLING US EVERY TIME WE FLY?

Thank goodness that the plane landed safely. I wonder whether or not the injured people had their seatbelts on. I’m not game to unbuckle mine unless I need to visit the loo.
Passengers are advised to keep seatbelts fastened when sitting, even when the seatbelt sign is off. I’ve noticed many people don’t keep their seatbelts fastened unless the seatbelt sign is on.

I had a very similar experience in 1981 flying back from Denpasar, Bali to Sydney with Garuda. About 20 minutes into the flight, there was lightning outside, the seatbelt lights came on and a couple of seconds later, the Boeing 747 fell out the sky, resulting in passengers, cabin staff and catering trolleys getting thrown all over the place. One woman suffered what appeared a broken leg and others left sore and sorry.

Both myself and my then girlfriend still had our seatbelts on and were saved from injury. All I could do was laugh and saying "this is the end!"

Most probably Clear Air Turbulence (CAT), a column of falling air which the plane flew into briefly.

No plane can fly through CAT without being buffeted, sometimes very heavily.

There is no way for a plane or pilot to detect CAT.

Ground based Doppler Radar can, sometimes, give indication of Wind Shear ( CAT @ground level). But only at short range.

This is why seat belts should always be worn while flying.

Passengers are advised to keep seatbelts fastened when sitting, even when the seatbelt sign is off. I’ve noticed many people don’t keep their seatbelts fastened unless the seatbelt sign is on.
I am the same, seat belt on all the time. Only time to undo this is when moving around.

I WONDER WHAT HAPPENS TO SOMEBODY ON THE THRONE WHEN THIS HAPPENS TO THE PLANE?
THE MIND BOGGLES. 😵‍💫

I am the same, seat belt on all the time. Only time to undo this is when moving around.

THE MIND BOGGLES. 😵‍💫
I understand someone was, but I think that he was more concerned about his head punching through the ceiling than anything else.

I understand someone was, but I think that he was more concerned about his head punching through the ceiling than anything else.
Other passengers may have headed there because of something they did in their pants whereas he may have been in the middle of something. Could have been messy for him. 🥴

This happened years ago to us. Don't remember which airline but think it was singapore Airlines. The doctor sitting next to us was in the loo and yes he did hit his head on the ceiling. So did the food trolleys. The stewardesses immediately hit the floor as they had been trained so this is.not an isolated incident. My husband who is an ex pilot said it is unavoidable sometimes. So always wear your seatbelt.

THE MIND BOGGLES. 😵‍💫
Many years ago flying from Hong Kong to Vancouver, my three year old daughter decided she was “busting” so had to take her to the toilet, despite turbulence and the seat belt sign on. We were lucky to have returned to our seats and fastened seatbelts. Very soon after, the plane plummeted and about 50, 60 ?? metres.

Many years ago flying from Hong Kong to Vancouver, my three year old daughter decided she was “busting” so had to take her to the toilet, despite turbulence and the seat belt sign on. We were lucky to have returned to our seats and fastened seatbelts. Very soon after, the plane plummeted and about 50, 60 ?? metres.
Extremely lucky indeed.

I experienced similar to this once on a flight from Sydney to the Gold Coast. We dropped a LONG way very suddenly, there was no turbulence at all. Everyone onboard screamed.
The drop was so far that the ocean was VERY visible and close, and I wondered why/how we were still in the air!

I arrived very shaken on the Gold Coast, so much so that as a non drinker I quickly downed 2 neat scotches!

I ALWAYS keep my seatbelt on, unless using the bathroom, even on long haul flights, I fly a lot.
This unfortunate event reinterates the need for buckled up seatbelts on flight.

And here I am planning a trip to Greece next year for a wedding 😳
Think on this:
There are approximately 8000 commercial aircraft flying every second of each day.

If each is only carrying 150 passengers then there's at least 1.2M people up there, right now.

While the single accident which occurred today had 12 injuries.

That's 1 in 100k of the people flying during the same time as the flight, let alone the same day, week or month.

But please take care getting to and from the airport.

Hope you have a wonderful time on your trip.