Flight attendant shares 'clever' hack for sneaking extra baggage onto a plane: "You're welcome"

Let's face it, sometimes you just need a few additional items to get you through the flight. That is why carry-on bag restrictions can be a real pain if you're a frequent over-packer.

On most flights, passengers are allowed to bring one carry-on bag with them that weighs between seven and ten kilograms.

However, a flight attendant who has been in the business for almost a decade has revealed a method for bringing extra items on board without being charged a luggage fee. And he said that this hack works for him every single time!

Duty-free bags, according to Miguel Munoz, do not count as carry-on baggage.

This strategy, which he refers to as the "duty-free hack," entails cramming the shopping bag with items that are either too large to fit in a suitcase or that exceed the allowed weight capacity for carry-on luggage.

"Now you know. If you ever find yourself in that situation, just put whatever you need in a duty-free bag," he said, before adding: "You're welcome."

yZOA9k-Yfm3PQm2bsocFWOlPXJfLhFcboAMwWwuBqw1b3VGzv37FH88HPKpKlROBRBkpRxE5ggj4unikk7AcWT5KxZBbGL3Phf_GvzvQS_N4ElF-E_aHljlF4eTCIGS5xZpRIM6NUKCJQ7lSmQ

A flight attendant shared his brilliant "duty-free hack" for smuggling more things into your carry-on luggage. Credit: Getty Images, Shutterstock.

Miguel mentioned that you have the option to either buy a small item from the duty-free store in order to acquire the bag, or you may simply ask for one.

"I know the trick because I always do this when I fly as a passenger," he said.

"There is obviously limited space, but at least you are bringing an extra bag to the cabin with you."

"When I see people coming on board with a duty-free bag that looks very full I always assume they are using it for this purpose as it obviously doesn’t contain just one perfume or bottle of wine," he added, saying that a lot of crew don’t know this 'hack' and most of them won't realise anyway.

Another famous technique for sneaking extra stuff onto the plane has gone viral online. This time, the hack uses a pillow.

If you've ever wondered how to utilise your neck pillow as a covert carry-on bag, you'll want to check out this video from Chelsea Dickinson, who goes by the username @cheapholidayexpert on TikTok.

To begin, she takes out the memory foam that had been placed within the cushion. After that, she proceeds to pack the pillowcase with clothing items that did not fit in her carry-on luggage, such as her underwear, leggings, a knitted beanie, and a few t-shirts.

When she went through the ticket counter, she was thrilled to find that the flight attendant didn't see that she was "smuggling" additional clothing through her neck pillow.

"I've bloody done it. I got through, you have to try this," she said excitedly.

Folks, do you have any additional travel tricks to share with us? Please let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
I always thought baggage limits were there so as to not overload the plane.....silly silly me. If it doesn't fit my 23kg allowance it doesn't go. Carry on for me is my handbag, phone passport, reading material and maybe my own earphones and any meds I might need on the flight.

Flight attendant shares 'clever' hack for sneaking extra baggage onto a plane: "You're welcome"

Let's face it, sometimes you just need a few additional items to get you through the flight. That is why carry-on bag restrictions can be a real pain if you're a frequent over-packer.

On most flights, passengers are allowed to bring one carry-on bag with them that weighs between seven and ten kilograms.

However, a flight attendant who has been in the business for almost a decade has revealed a method for bringing extra items on board without being charged a luggage fee. And he said that this hack works for him every single time!

Duty-free bags, according to Miguel Munoz, do not count as carry-on baggage.

This strategy, which he refers to as the "duty-free hack," entails cramming the shopping bag with items that are either too large to fit in a suitcase or that exceed the allowed weight capacity for carry-on luggage.

"Now you know. If you ever find yourself in that situation, just put whatever you need in a duty-free bag," he said, before adding: "You're welcome."

yZOA9k-Yfm3PQm2bsocFWOlPXJfLhFcboAMwWwuBqw1b3VGzv37FH88HPKpKlROBRBkpRxE5ggj4unikk7AcWT5KxZBbGL3Phf_GvzvQS_N4ElF-E_aHljlF4eTCIGS5xZpRIM6NUKCJQ7lSmQ

A flight attendant shared his brilliant "duty-free hack" for smuggling more things into your carry-on luggage. Credit: Getty Images, Shutterstock.

Miguel mentioned that you have the option to either buy a small item from the duty-free store in order to acquire the bag, or you may simply ask for one.

"I know the trick because I always do this when I fly as a passenger," he said.

"There is obviously limited space, but at least you are bringing an extra bag to the cabin with you."

"When I see people coming on board with a duty-free bag that looks very full I always assume they are using it for this purpose as it obviously doesn’t contain just one perfume or bottle of wine," he added, saying that a lot of crew don’t know this 'hack' and most of them won't realise anyway.

Another famous technique for sneaking extra stuff onto the plane has gone viral online. This time, the hack uses a pillow.

If you've ever wondered how to utilise your neck pillow as a covert carry-on bag, you'll want to check out this video from Chelsea Dickinson, who goes by the username @cheapholidayexpert on TikTok.

To begin, she takes out the memory foam that had been placed within the cushion. After that, she proceeds to pack the pillowcase with clothing items that did not fit in her carry-on luggage, such as her underwear, leggings, a knitted beanie, and a few t-shirts.

When she went through the ticket counter, she was thrilled to find that the flight attendant didn't see that she was "smuggling" additional clothing through her neck pillow.

"I've bloody done it. I got through, you have to try this," she said excitedly.

Folks, do you have any additional travel tricks to share with us? Please let us know in the comments!

No use on a domestic flight!
In fact, some years ago I flew into Melbourne from the Middle East and purchased Duty Free liquor (two litres) inbound.
Connecting to Jetstar, they nabbed me because they have a portable set of scales to weigh the carry-on items of selected passengers. It cost me $90 to get those two bottles to my final destination! Hardly worth the trouble and expense........
Be warned!!!!

I always thought baggage limits were there so as to not overload the plane.....silly silly me. If it doesn't fit my 23kg allowance it doesn't go. Carry on for me is my handbag, phone passport, reading material and maybe my own earphones and any meds I might need on the flight.
Me too. To be honest I think it’s selfish to smuggle extra on board.

Whilst I applaud the ingenious ways people use to overcome obstacles, blurting it out on social media doesn't seem to be a clever idea. You defeat the purpose of the hack when you do this. What if people who set the rules read them? Bang goes the hack.

I am always puzzled by the amount of stuff people have in the carry on bag and their checkin luggage. I have seen a couple of my relatives take 25kgs each when they go overseas. I really don't know what they pack. My wife and I only take 1 checkin bag between us and a carry on bag each. The carry on bag only has the basics and does not weigh more than 3-4 kgs. The checkin bag for two of us only weighs approximately 14 kgs. On the return flight to Australia, the checkin bag generally weighs around 15.5-16 kgs. Ww have done quite a few overseas trips over the past 10-years pre-covid. We found that the above amount of luggage is what we take.
To each their own.