Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Fish and Chips wrapped in newspaper

compressed-Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 8.57.15 AM.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/The Australia I Remember Group

Who remembers the smell of fish and chips wrapped in an old newspaper and dipped in vinegar as a treat? Back in the day, you could enjoy this lunchtime delight for just 20 cents! Do you have fond memories of this classic treat?

Reactions: Ittybitty
I can remember a time when fish and chips caused me a big headache, I was doing my National service in the army when a group of us was sent to a farm to do potato picking, ( we received an extra shilling a day for the back breaking Job ) but the farm was located not far from Nottingham where I lived so I could get home to see my parents and my girlfriend for the rest of the w/e, On the Saturday night my girlfriend and I went to the pictures and when the film show finished we went to get fish and chips and has I was wearing my great coat I put the fish and chips in my pocket, My girl friends Parents worked at a local pub so we had the house to ourselves, on taking the fish and chips out my pocket and removing my coat I found to my horror that some grease had soaked into my webbing belt and I spent most of Sunday scrubbing the grease out my belt and on returning back to camp I was able to Blanco my belt ready for our morning inspection before going to the farm.

Reactions: Nichola
Never had it like that, always a sheet of grease proof paper underneath to stop contact with the newsprint.

Reactions: Nichola
Never had it like that, always a sheet of grease proof paper underneath to stop contact with the newsprint.
Absolutely! Who on earth would imagine that food was wrapped directly against old newspaper? Yuk! The food was wrapped in greaseproof paper. The newspaper was used because newsprint provided good insulation to stop food going cold. 'Newsprint' paper is still used today - just without any ink on it.

I can remember when I was a kid getting fish and chips every Friday for school lunch. We would order them in the morning and pick them up at midday. They were absolutely delicious and it was the only take away you could buy then. We paid one shilling.

BECAUSE OF THE TOXIC INKS IN NEWSPRINT I CANT EVER REMEMBER NOT HAVING BUTCHER,S PAPER LINING . WHAT A TREAT IT WAS . STILL LOVE IT TODAY .

I remember in the 60's as we lived not far from one set of grandparents my eldest cousin would round up the 6 of us and we were allowed to go out of school grounds for lunch - always Fish & Chips from the Golden Fleece Servo 3 doors up. Especially good in winter in North east Victoria.

In 1967 on school holiday to Geraldton , I remember 5 or 6 of us kids ( newly made friends ) from the caravan park going to the wharf side chippie and getting fish or cray and chips for $1 , always wrapped in newspaper . We loved being able to wave the brand new dollar note at the bloke behind the counter . Easily fed us hungry kids with plenty left over . We used to take the left overs and cray shells over to the fishermen's wharf and feed the blowies and whatever else was swimming there . Crays then were a bycatch and also often sold for bait . Not no more !

I can remember a time when fish and chips caused me a big headache, I was doing my National service in the army when a group of us was sent to a farm to do potato picking, ( we received an extra shilling a day for the back breaking Job ) but the farm was located not far from Nottingham where I lived so I could get home to see my parents and my girlfriend for the rest of the w/e, On the Saturday night my girlfriend and I went to the pictures and when the film show finished we went to get fish and chips and has I was wearing my great coat I put the fish and chips in my pocket, My girl friends Parents worked at a local pub so we had the house to ourselves, on taking the fish and chips out my pocket and removing my coat I found to my horror that some grease had soaked into my webbing belt and I spent most of Sunday scrubbing the grease out my belt and on returning back to camp I was able to Blanco my belt ready for our morning inspection before going to the farm.
Thank you for pleasure of reading your experience, it is good to look back at how things used to be and what we had to do in those times, nowadays they would just buy another belt instead of appreciating what they had.

In 1967 on school holiday to Geraldton , I remember 5 or 6 of us kids ( newly made friends ) from the caravan park going to the wharf side chippie and getting fish or cray and chips for $1 , always wrapped in newspaper . We loved being able to wave the brand new dollar note at the bloke behind the counter . Easily fed us hungry kids with plenty left over . We used to take the left overs and cray shells over to the fishermen's wharf and feed the blowies and whatever else was swimming there . Crays then were a bycatch and also often sold for bait . Not no more !
😍

I have always loved battered fish with chips and still do. I only remember the butcher’s paper but we certainly had the vinegar.😍