Find out which destination has been named Australia's top domestic travel hotspot for 2023!

With domestic restrictions easing, now’s the perfect time to start planning your next holiday. But if you’re stuck for ideas on where to go, we have some good news—a favourite travel destination for Aussies has just been revealed.

Senior Vice President of Supply for the travel booking platform Agoda, Andrew Smith, recently revealed that the number one favourite domestic destination for Australians in 2023 is Melbourne.

That’s right, the second most populous city in Oz has climbed to number one this year, beating popular cities like Sydney and the Gold Coast.

photo 1 (1).jpg
Melbourne has been named the top domestic destination for Australians in 2023. Credit: Gordon Bell/Shutterstock

For overseas travel, Bali takes the first place as a favourite destination. The Indonesian island had been popular with Aussies due to its warm weather, short flight time and low costs.

Meanwhile, coming in at second place is the Harbour City—Sydney. Closely followed by Brisbane.

The fourth place for Australians travelling domestically goes to none other than Adelaide!

photo (5).jpg
Sydney takes the second spot for the top domestic destination, according to Agoda. Credit: Taras Vyshnya/Shutterstock

Fifth place goes to the Gold Coast. With its stunning beaches and laid-back atmosphere, we’re not surprised that the Gold Coast has been so popular.

As for international travel, Agoda’s research shows that the top five destinations for Aussies this year are all in Southeast Asia.

Bali is closely followed by Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, Bangkok, Singapore, and Manila.

AGGZedXrcWfzKKWtqNWX-kzZ-5rIDNroXXaXWdocjuqFaEWcpVBZ3WORHVLoY9GEhRzeDgiCp_bZQW15wNhB4skNxRobRrqwPoZZiPVuruC3cT9hbw_tz-myx_LXNBVhXBZrjYBmIWLkXPNWJJshrJs

In a statement, Smith said: 'Many factors contribute to the popularity of Southeast Asian cities. These cities represent five bustling metropolises, with rich culture and history, an exquisite culinary scene, and unique nightlife.'

Previously, we reported the Australian beaches included in Enjoy Travel's Annual 50 Best Beaches in the World List. Securing the top five spot was Queensland’s Whitehaven Beach, Hyams Beach in New South Wales in the top ten, and Turquoise Bay near Exmouth in Western Australia was ranked sixteenth. You can read more about that story here.

Key Takeaways
  • Australians have a new favourite domestic destination: Melbourne, with Sydney and Brisbane following closely.
  • For Australians travelling overseas, the number one destination is Bali, Indonesia, followed by Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok, Singapore, and Manila.
  • For Australians travelling overseas, the number one destination is Bali, Indonesia, followed by Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok, Singapore, and Manila.
  • Australian beaches were featured in Enjoy Travel's Annual 50 Best Beaches in the World List, which includes Queensland’s Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays, Hyams Beach in New South Wales, and Turquoise Bay near Exmouth in Western Australia.

Members, do you have a favourite destination for a domestic holiday? How about international destinations? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
With domestic restrictions easing, now’s the perfect time to start planning your next holiday. But if you’re stuck for ideas on where to go, we have some good news—a favourite travel destination for Aussies has just been revealed.

Senior Vice President of Supply for the travel booking platform Agoda, Andrew Smith, recently revealed that the number one favourite domestic destination for Australians in 2023 is Melbourne.

That’s right, the second most populous city in Oz has climbed to number one this year, beating popular cities like Sydney and the Gold Coast.

View attachment 30468
Melbourne has been named the top domestic destination for Australians in 2023. Credit: Gordon Bell/Shutterstock

For overseas travel, Bali takes the first place as a favourite destination. The Indonesian island had been popular with Aussies due to its warm weather, short flight time and low costs.

Meanwhile, coming in at second place is the Harbour City—Sydney. Closely followed by Brisbane.

The fourth place for Australians travelling domestically goes to none other than Adelaide!

View attachment 30469
Sydney takes the second spot for the top domestic destination, according to Agoda. Credit: Taras Vyshnya/Shutterstock

Fifth place goes to the Gold Coast. With its stunning beaches and laid-back atmosphere, we’re not surprised that the Gold Coast has been so popular.

As for international travel, Agoda’s research shows that the top five destinations for Aussies this year are all in Southeast Asia.

Bali is closely followed by Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, Bangkok, Singapore, and Manila.

AGGZedXrcWfzKKWtqNWX-kzZ-5rIDNroXXaXWdocjuqFaEWcpVBZ3WORHVLoY9GEhRzeDgiCp_bZQW15wNhB4skNxRobRrqwPoZZiPVuruC3cT9hbw_tz-myx_LXNBVhXBZrjYBmIWLkXPNWJJshrJs

In a statement, Smith said: 'Many factors contribute to the popularity of Southeast Asian cities. These cities represent five bustling metropolises, with rich culture and history, an exquisite culinary scene, and unique nightlife.'

Previously, we reported the Australian beaches included in Enjoy Travel's Annual 50 Best Beaches in the World List. Securing the top five spot was Queensland’s Whitehaven Beach, Hyams Beach in New South Wales in the top ten, and Turquoise Bay near Exmouth in Western Australia was ranked sixteenth. You can read more about that story here.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have a new favourite domestic destination: Melbourne, with Sydney and Brisbane following closely.
  • Australian beaches were featured in Enjoy Travel's Annual 50 Best Beaches in the World List, which includes Queensland’s Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays, Hyams Beach in New South Wales, and Turquoise Bay near Exmouth in Western Australia.

Members, do you have a favourite destination for a domestic holiday? How about international destinations? Share them in the comments below!
My favourite destination is the local Aldi

Darl Mofo is one of the biggest tourist events held in Tassie and lack of tourists is why Dark Mofo is on the verge of being cancelled,

So far I love Tasmania , the climate is very kind in Summer , beautiful markets and roadside stalls with farmers products.
I like the township of Ross with the tree lined main street and beautiful old buildings and the iconic bridge . Also like the Cradle Mountain area and Wineglass Bay . Walked the Overland Track and you see a lot of Tasmanian nature .
Were on the way to W.A. When Covid started and had to return home , so this is still on the agenda.
Would not go to Bali , might be cheap , but it is corrupt , not for me , rather would go to Singapore where you can walk safely , so much to see , it is good for a stopover as well . I also love France , the country has a big variety of mountains , valleys with small villages , good beaches , beautiful old places you can visit and the markets are soooo good .All fresh fruit and vegetables and the cheeses and their freshly baked baguettes . We bought cheese and a baguette and that is all you need . If you like walking , plenty of walks in the Alps or bike riding along the rivers where you see plenty of castles . Too much to write .

Tasmania, St Helens and the Bay of Fires is my happy place. Love it.

Reactions: Leenie

View attachment 30468

View attachment 30469

Key Takeaways

guess what? Bali is out and i do not want to boost Dan's coffers. I am off to new zealand Timaru south island my home. my last hurrah.

"Senior Vice President of Supply for the travel booking platform Agoda, Andrew Smith, recently revealed that the number one favourite domestic destination for Australians in 2023 is Melbourne."

Ahhh! Good ole Melbourne. Nice place if you're into drive by shootings, stabbings, arson, home invasions, carjackings and the latest attraction....torching tobacconists!

Melbourne is competing with Reykjavik as the capital of ICEland. And I have the pleasure of living here....pleasure a term used very loosely.

Melbourne - the city that changes it boundaries in attempt to oust Sydney as the country's most populous city. How petty!

Melbourne - the home of the farmyard oddity called AFL. A sport where "men" masquerading as stick insects fumble with something called "Sharon". Poor girl! The only "sport" known to man where you get rewarded for MISSING! Commentators using the words "fisting" and "behinds" in the same sentence. Does it ever end?

• Haha
Reactions: PattiB
Tourists must be blindfolded, all I see are homeless people draping the streets, drug dealing in open spaces, taxi drivers urinating in the parks at night, oh, Melbourne is disgustingly trashy. I’d rather stay in Gippsland with the green grass and farms.

Tourists must be blindfolded, all I see are homeless people draping the streets, drug dealing in open spaces, taxi drivers urinating in the parks at night, oh, Melbourne is disgustingly trashy. I’d rather stay in Gippsland with the green grass and farms.
The world's most liveable city. As voted by residents of Toorak and Brighton who are too afraid the venture out of their fortified mansions just in case they get mugged. And also to keep out of the terrible weather.

Reactions: Leenie and PattiB
Me too! Absolutely adore Kings Park. Love the weather. We visit every year & I always love to wander around shopping centres, usually with a long list. Launceston is rather lacking in that department Plus it gets way too cold. I shudder when my son says he might move to Melbourne to be a bit closer to us.

Me too! Absolutely adore Kings Park. Love the weather. We visit every year & I always love to wander around shopping centres, usually with a long list. Launceston is rather lacking in that department Plus it gets way too cold. I shudder when my son says he might move to Melbourne to be a bit closer to us.
Tell your son not to do it! For his own safety and sanity.

There's a "high class" beggar who frequents Melbourne's inner city railway stations. I've never seen her but she is supposed to be a well dressed stunner. Makes over $500 per week!

Then you have the star beggars of Dandenong. One just grunts at you when you walk past. I just grunt back.

I live in the Swan Valley and right now here it's a beautiful sunny 32c.

"Senior Vice President of Supply for the travel booking platform Agoda, Andrew Smith, recently revealed that the number one favourite domestic destination for Australians in 2023 is Melbourne."

Ahhh! Good ole Melbourne. Nice place if you're into drive by shootings, stabbings, arson, home invasions, carjackings and the latest attraction....torching tobacconists!

Melbourne is competing with Reykjavik as the capital of ICEland. And I have the pleasure of living here....pleasure a term used very loosely.

Melbourne - the city that changes it boundaries in attempt to oust Sydney as the country's most populous city. How petty!

Melbourne - the home of the farmyard oddity called AFL. A sport where "men" masquerading as stick insects fumble with something called "Sharon". Poor girl! The only "sport" known to man where you get rewarded for MISSING! Commentators using the words "fisting" and "behinds" in the same sentence. Does it ever end?
The article said : If we know our favourite destinations , NOT what we hate about the Australian cities . I know , I totally agree with the crime what’s going on in a lot of areas . If we all write negative messengers It is not a good idea and there are so many repeats , Please be a bit more positive and careful what you are writing , you could hurt many people and is that what it is all about . Say nothing if you are always negative.

You are always Good for a 😂

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Loved Tassie when we went there 32 yrs ago and would love to go back.One of my faves was Town of Richmond with its history and port Arthur the old church in Ross? And Cradle mountain snowed when we were there ,plus launceston ,going across the gorge although scary . Museum in Zeehan ?one of the best I’ve seen ,and the short distance between places. Wasn’t fussed with Gordon river cruise . Great place to visit.

Leenie l also love the old church in Ross, the one up the hill that you can go into, it’s quite beautiful. I grew up on a farm in the midlands area. Ross has unfortunately gone backwards as seems to be the way in small towns everywhere. The craft shops have mostly closed but you will always find a lot of tourists there. Tasmania is a beautiful state, I love the rugged mountains but it gets so cold in winter & summer can be a mixed bag, it’s even been known to snow. Hope you come back one day.