Find out the ‘outrageous’ complaint about an elderly couple that was revealed through a street note

In Melbourne's Prahran neighbourhood, one elderly couple has captured the hearts of their community through their daily walks.

The couple lives on Westbourne Street and are well-known for strolling the streets together each afternoon.

But lately, their walks have become more difficult as age has affected their pace.

As the 'lovely' pair need to take more breaks, and there was an apparent lack of benches in their area, the neighbours immediately sprang into action.

'Their neighbours have rallied, placing their own outdoor chairs out for them,' one user shared on social media.

SDC 7.png
An elderly couple used the chairs placed by their neighbours for a quick break during their daily walk. Image source: Facebook.

But someone in the neighbourhood wasn't happy about this act of kindness.

'Sadly the council has been quickly (within a day!) removing the chairs yet has been ignoring multiple requests for a permanent park bench on the spot.'

The user also shared that residents were more than happy to fundraise to cover the cost of the benches.

'Why remove the temporary chairs but not offer any solutions?' the user continued.

'This has been going on for months. It is sad, and it is shameful. Let’s support our elderly neighbours.'

A photo of the couple was shared smiling while sitting on chairs set on the footpath. Two notes written on cardboard were taped to the pole behind the seats, with one urging the council to leave the temporary seating in place.

'Due to a complaint to council this chair will be removed,' it read.

'Please contact the council to advocate for permanent seating for our friendly neighbours.'

The post ruffled the feathers of many other Aussies, with one calling the removal of chairs as 'disgusting'.

'Ridiculous that someone complained to council about a couple of chairs,' one woman replied.

While another commented that it 'would not be appropriate or practical to put seats through all our residential streets'.

Now, council member Kate Hely revealed that 'another neighbour has been in contact with council for a while' regarding the issue.

'And as of an email I saw on Saturday, officers are looking at installing a standard bench seat in the area after they consult with neighbours,' she added.

Locals were grateful for and pleased with the update.

However, the woman who shared the photo said it may take 'months if not years for the council to [take] action'.

'I understand that these processes can feel long, but it is important that officers go through the process to ensure that there is majority support for the bench locally,' Ms Hely replied.

'I have faith in the goodness of people, so I can’t foresee this will be a big issue. I have alerted the CEO to the issue, given it has received such strong community concern.'
Key Takeaways
  • Annoyed neighbours in Prahan, Melbourne, have provided seating for an elderly couple to rest during their daily walks, only for the chairs to be repeatedly removed by the council.
  • Local residents have been demanding permanent park seating and have even offered to fundraise for the installation.
  • A photo posted online, showing the elderly couple sitting on the footpath with a note requesting the council to leave the temporary seating, has led to a public outcry.
  • A Stonnington council member, Kate Hely, responded that the council was considering installing a bench after consultation with neighbours, but locals fear it could take years for the council to take action.
Members, do you have a similar problem in your area? What has your council done about the concern? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
The neighbours seem keen to supply chairs, all they have to do is put them near the driveway on their property ( in their front yard) for the elderly couple then no one can complain if it’s on private property not the public footpath. That would solve a lot of complainers.

It is the same in every council area. While there are benches for seating in parks, and in our town along the main street everywhere, but facing the shops so all you get to look at are shops since they did a major upgrade and some brainiac decided people would rather see a shop than a road and other shoppers walking by they could maybe wave to or chat to, but there are a lot of designated walkways with few seats along them for people to sit and watch the world go by, or rest. The main street upgrade was supposed to attract shoppers to that area and out of the shopping centres but it has failed miserably. You could fire a gun down the street most of the time and not risk hitting anyone it is such a dead area.

Councils need to wake up and take into account what their rate payers want, Majority, and not listen to the minority. Councils do not even follow the same guidelines set out, i.e. vehicles parking on the centre seperation island or verge of a road to be able to pick up their children safely, establishment of school zones withoin the same local area.

Reactions: Benny's Light
DO they want them to sit in the gutter on a person's wall if there is one. Always been an issue. hope the chairs were returned and not just removed as in taken away. Yes, public liability insurance, council would have to pay up if there was an accident. Seating is lacking everywhere. I've taken to walking in shopping centres where I can stop and sit but means I dont get fresh air and joy from being around nature!

It is the same in every council area. While there are benches for seating in parks, and in our town along the main street everywhere, but facing the shops so all you get to look at are shops since they did a major upgrade and some brainiac decided people would rather see a shop than a road and other shoppers walking by they could maybe wave to or chat to, but there are a lot of designated walkways with few seats along them for people to sit and watch the world go by, or rest. The main street upgrade was supposed to attract shoppers to that area and out of the shopping centres but it has failed miserably. You could fire a gun down the street most of the time and not risk hitting anyone it is such a dead area.
Seats are usually set not facing the road. Apparently, this is to avoid people standing up and falling into the road. Even accidently walking straight into traffic. It is for safety reasons.

I cannot get my council to install rubbish bins near my place. We have a Maccas & a pub down the road and guess where all their rubbish goes. MY FRONT YARD!

• Angry
Reactions: DLHM and Ricki
In Melbourne's Prahran neighbourhood, one elderly couple has captured the hearts of their community through their daily walks.

The couple lives on Westbourne Street and are well-known for strolling the streets together each afternoon.

But lately, their walks have become more difficult as age has affected their pace.

As the 'lovely' pair need to take more breaks, and there was an apparent lack of benches in their area, the neighbours immediately sprang into action.

'Their neighbours have rallied, placing their own outdoor chairs out for them,' one user shared on social media.

View attachment 32473
An elderly couple used the chairs placed by their neighbours for a quick break during their daily walk. Image source: Facebook.

'Sadly the council has been quickly (within a day!) removing the chairs yet has been ignoring multiple requests for a permanent park bench on the spot.'

The user also shared that residents were more than happy to fundraise to cover the cost of the benches.

'Why remove the temporary chairs but not offer any solutions?' the user continued.

'This has been going on for months. It is sad, and it is shameful. Let’s support our elderly neighbours.'

A photo of the couple was shared smiling while sitting on chairs set on the footpath. Two notes written on cardboard were taped to the pole behind the seats, with one urging the council to leave the temporary seating in place.

'Please contact the council to advocate for permanent seating for our friendly neighbours.'

The post ruffled the feathers of many other Aussies, with one calling the removal of chairs as 'disgusting'.

'Ridiculous that someone complained to council about a couple of chairs,' one woman replied.

While another commented that it 'would not be appropriate or practical to put seats through all our residential streets'.

Now, council member Kate Hely revealed that 'another neighbour has been in contact with council for a while' regarding the issue.

'And as of an email I saw on Saturday, officers are looking at installing a standard bench seat in the area after they consult with neighbours,' she added.

However, the woman who shared the photo said it may take 'months if not years for the council to [take] action'.

'I understand that these processes can feel long, but it is important that officers go through the process to ensure that there is majority support for the bench locally,' Ms Hely replied.

'I have faith in the goodness of people, so I can’t foresee this will be a big issue. I have alerted the CEO to the issue, given it has received such strong community concern.'
Key Takeaways

• Annoyed neighbours in Prahan, Melbourne, have provided seating for an elderly couple to rest during their daily walks, only for the chairs to be repeatedly removed by the council.
  • Local residents have been demanding permanent park seating and have even offered to fundraise for the installation.
  • A photo posted online, showing the elderly couple sitting on the footpath with a note requesting the council to leave the temporary seating, has led to a public outcry.
  • A Stonnington council member, Kate Hely, responded that the council was considering installing a bench after consultation with neighbours, but locals fear it could take years for the council to take action.
Members, do you have a similar problem in your area? What has your council done about the concern? Share your stories with us in the comments below!
What wrong with people?! It boggles the mind that anyone would take exception to this act of kindness. I'm no longer able to walk without a walker and my husband needs to stop and rest on the seats provided in our retirement village when he walks our dog.

People nowadays just seem to want to assert their authority over others. Why? Does it make them feel happy? Superior? Powerful? Important? My opinion is that they're sad little people who should be thankful that they live in a country where there's no war, no famine. You can turn the tap on every morning and know that clean water will come out. Get a grip you fool!

I cannot get my council to install rubbish bins near my place. We have a Maccas & a pub down the road and guess where all their rubbish goes. MY FRONT YARD!
Seems to be a common problem with houses near pubs and takeaway joints. Even if there were bind there people would be too lazy to use them, easier to toss rubbish in someone’s front yard.

Reactions: Ricki
Bins there, why does the iPad think it knows what I want to write.

Reactions: Ricki

View attachment 32473

Key Takeaways

Councils are like governments, they are not there to help you more to hinder you.

Seats are usually set not facing the road. Apparently, this is to avoid people standing up and falling into the road. Even accidently walking straight into traffic. It is for safety reasons.
Well this council are not safety inclined. The upgrade included planting trees along the street, every pedestrian crossing has them on each side of the road, on each side of the crossing. Result, now trees have grown and spread motorists cannot see if there are any pedestrians about to walk onto the crossings as you approach. And young people just see a crossing and run out not even checking for traffic. A lot of near misses happen. But council won’t remove the trees, they just prune a bit off here and there which hardly makes a difference. As for the seats I’m sure they could have faced even every second one towards the road and put a safety rail in front of it. They did widen all the footpaths with the result that the road is now barely wide enough to have two cars pass each other when there are cars parked on each side of the street. People who want to get out of their cars have to make sure no cars are coming on their side of the street or they will lose a door and risk their life the street is so narrow. As I said some brainiac got paid big dollars to make these dumb decisions.

View attachment 32473

Key Takeaways

I live on a street that has quite a long walk from the local shopping village to the other end, where I believe quite a large percentage of aged folk, like myself, live. Along the way, some very kind residents have put in resting benches incorporated within their own fence line. They are just little benches, painted the same colour as the fences, and really quite cute. They don't infringe on the footpath in any way, and are very simple in design. Such a nice thing to do. I have seen people resting on them, talking to other people as they pass, petting their pooches, and, always with a smile on their dial.
There is always a solution, but getting Council involved the way the complainants did was quite age unfriendly. Council needs a good boot up the rear pathway as well. It's not that difficult to fit a little seat. Geez Louise.

What wrong with people?! It boggles the mind that anyone would take exception to this act of kindness. I'm no longer able to walk without a walker and my husband needs to stop and rest on the seats provided in our retirement village when he walks our dog.

People nowadays just seem to want to assert their authority over others. Why? Does it make them feel happy? Superior? Powerful? Important? My opinion is that they're sad little people who should be thankful that they live in a country where there's no war, no famine. You can turn the tap on every morning and know that clean water will come out. Get a grip you fool!
Well said.

Reactions: Joydie and Ricki
Unfortunately too many people sue for the slightest thing and even though this is such a wonderful gesture by these people putting the chairs out , I'm not sure how stable they would be on grass and placing them on the actual pathway may make it awkward for eg prams.

Instead of councils and governments wasting our money on eg YES votes and all the wasted pamphlets why not use the money to add benches in different streets to allow for the elderly and people with disabilities to walk. Not all streets but allocated streets and maybe residence can be offered for a fee to dedicate the chair with a plaque to a lived one who has passed

Reactions: Oldgirllaughing

View attachment 32473

Key Takeaways

I bet there was only 1 single complaint from some gutless heartless person who is a friend of one of the councillors and of course they will remain anonymous... these gutless people should be named and shamed.

View attachment 32473

Key Takeaways

My concern with our Shire council is that with the many new estates being built, including parks and playgrounds, there is a lack of public toilets.

DO they want them to sit in the gutter on a person's wall if there is one. Always been an issue. hope the chairs were returned and not just removed as in taken away. Yes, public liability insurance, council would have to pay up if there was an accident. Seating is lacking everywhere. I've taken to walking in shopping centres where I can stop and sit but means I dont get fresh air and joy from being around nature!
Jennylolo, Yes the Council maybe held liable for an accident, getting them to take responsibility is another thing altogether. It is not only seats missing from cities and towns where are the rubbish bins?