Find out how this thrifty mum scored nearly $200 off her Christmas groceries with an unbelievable shopping tip!

Christmas is a wonderful time, but for those looking to stay within their budget, it can be a test of patience and discipline.

Thankfully, as with most of life, it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom — something that this thrifty mum proved recently when she notched up nearly $200 worth of savings on her holiday grocery haul.

After racking up $190 worth of Woolworths Everyday Rewards points over the course of the year, the money-wise mum then used promotional codes that slashed $10 off her purchase and scored her free delivery — both of which allowed her to cover the cost of a shopping haul worth $201.45 for just $2.45.

She shared her discovery with other members of the Big W Mums Australia Facebook page.

'I saved my points all year!!!!!!! Christmas lunch cost me $2.45!!! I got free delivery, a $10 promo code and I am so damn happy!' she wrote.

Just how did she get all those Rewards points? Well, with a good old-fashioned saving habit!

Screenshot_2.png
An ecstatic shopper shared how she managed to pay just $2.45 for her Christmas shopping haul with Woolies’ Everyday Rewards program. Screengrab Credit: Woolworths

You see, the mum said she made sure to scan each of her store purchases in the past year to accrue enough points to reach almost two hundred dollars.

She said she also kept track of how much she was saving through the Woolworths Everyday Rewards app.

In a nutshell, Woolies Everyday Rewards program works by rewarding customers with points for every dollar spent at the supermarket and related stores.

These points are useable in different ways, including shaving some dollars off future purchases or even converting 2000 Rewards points to 1000 Qantas points.

Unsurprisingly, many were amazed and took to the comments section of her post to offer their praise.

‘This is so good, I never knew you could do this!’ an impressed shopper said as another said the whole thing was ‘unreal’.

‘Looks like I know how I'm saving up for next Christmas. I really need to join up on rewards,' a third said.

Other shoppers also shared how they used their points to slash their grocery bills.

pexels-photo-3985062.jpg
Retailers’ customer rewards programs can help out a lot when shopping for increasingly expensive goods. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Gustavo Fring

‘I just did this with BWS! (I) saved $280 and purchased over $300 worth of alcohol for the Christmas season (taking to events and personal “stock”),' one shopper shared.

'We do this every year. My Christmas groceries cost $6.70!' another admitted.

Another said: 'I saved all mine too. The amount covered the cost of our family dinner last night and will cover Christmas day lunch as well. Even our alcohol. Happy days.'

This mum isn’t the first story we’ve shared over the past weeks of customers taking advantage of Woolies’ programs to save big.

One mum shelled out just less than $15 for a grocery haul worth $2000 after a year’s worth of stacking up points which amounted to $1800.

Another was able to shrink her $600 bill down to just $60 with the ‘Bank for Christmas’ option. A spokesperson said they’ve spotted a 20 per cent increase in the number of Aussies using the option compared to last year.

Considering these stories, it’s unsurprising that Woolies’ Everyday Rewards program was rated Australia’s Best Rewards Program by Canstar in September with five stars overall to competitor Coles’ four for its Flybuys program.

But does Woolies have the most affordable prices for Christmas staples like ham, cheese and crackers, and desserts? Find out what one price comparison app said here!
Key Takeaways

• A mum was able to shell out just $2.45 for a $200 Christmas grocery shop using Woolworths' Everyday Rewards program.
  • The mum made sure to scan each of her purchases for points the year prior her shopping trip.
  • Other people shared that they've done similar things, saving them up to hundreds of dollars in their holiday purchases.
So, what is your reaction to yet another story about how smart and thrifty Aussies managed to spend and save big while shopping for Christmas groceries?

Do you have any techniques of your own for saving up for the holidays?

Tell us your thoughts and suggestions below!

Sponsored
Meh....I accumulated $760 in my Bank for Xmas! Used the last of it today, then had another $20 added today after my home delivery (10xpoints) Just have to know how to work the system..it's not rocket science!

I've been collecting both rewards points and flybuy points for years. It's free and the rewards are amazing.
One of my daughters just started using fkybuys and has collected $250 flybuy dollars in just 3 months.
She always used woolworths rewards card and said she couldn't believe how much quicker the flybuys added up.

She now only uses flybuys

Reactions: Ricci